The Student Room Group
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website

Official Staffordshire University Applicants Thread 2018

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StaffsUniGee
Hi! Thought I'd drop a message in here, as I'm one of the Student Bloggers for Staffs! My name is Gee, and I'm currently in my second year of Cartoon & Comic Arts. I also lived in accommodation (Clarice Cliff) for my first year. So if you have any questions about student life, let me know! Hope to see you in September!

Hi!

I was wondering If you could give me some insights into student life at Staffs? Just general stuff like nightlife, food, living spaces, etc.

Thank you! :biggrin:
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website
Hey!

So, if you're interested in a more extensive look into student life at Staffs, definitely check out our student blogs!

But I can totally give you my personal insight now!

So, nightlife wise, I'm not really a beacon of knowledge, because I don't go out much. Because most accommodation is within the uni quarter, it makes it very easy to have house parties. But the clubs are all in Hanley, which is a five minute taxi journey away. Alternatively, the LRV is the uni's onsite club venue (with organised nights every Wednesday and Friday), or - my personal fave - the student union pub, Ember Lounge is pretty awesome. Does weekly quiz and karaoke too.

Ember is also great for food. As is Verve, the uni American diner style restaurant. Definitely recommend the mozeralla dippers in Ember!!!

Living wise, a thread recently started up about Staffs accommodation here - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5027220 - that you might find useful!

Hope this all helps!
Hi,

I've applied for web development and I'm predicted A*A*A - I've applied to both Staffordshire and Imperial College London and I'm having a difficult time deciding between the two. My family want me to go to Imperial and often say that Staffs is a bad choice and I should aim higher, but I went to the open day in September and fell in love with the campus, the accommodation (especially Clarice Cliff), the facilities and the course. Imperial doesn't offer web development but is ranked among the top in the country for computer science (I've applied for CompSci - software engineering), and I love the campus there as well. Also, I'm extremely worried about exam anxiety and stress getting to me and not achieving my predicted grades (especially in psychology), so Staffs being a lower offer is quite reassuring.

I'm wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation, and if anyone has any advice?
Original post by valentine-lohst
Hi,
I've applied for web development and I'm predicted A*A*A - I've applied to both Staffordshire and Imperial College London and I'm having a difficult time deciding between the two.
I'm wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation, and if anyone has any advice?

Hey there! When I was looking at unis for my undergrad, I ended up having to choose between Roehampton in London, and Staffordshire, and I think I made the right choice. I understand your parent's concerns about going to a more prestigious university, but I think your personal concerns and wants should be at the forefront. After all, you're going to be living and studying there for the next 3+ years.

I think your concerns about exam stress is valid, and all I would say is that in my experience the university has a very supportive environment here at Staffs, and I think had I gone to a uni where tutors and faculty were not as understanding or approachable, I probably would not have done as well as I had. Also when I went on an open day, I found the staff at Roehampton to be very condescending and patronising, on a day where they should be welcoming and accomodating our needs as guests. Not to say that that is what it is like at Imperial College, but I took into consideration when deciding where to go.

Hope this helped and let me know if you have any other questions 😊
Original post by valentine-lohst
Hi,

I've applied for web development and I'm predicted A*A*A - I've applied to both Staffordshire and Imperial College London and I'm having a difficult time deciding between the two. My family want me to go to Imperial and often say that Staffs is a bad choice and I should aim higher, but I went to the open day in September and fell in love with the campus, the accommodation (especially Clarice Cliff), the facilities and the course. Imperial doesn't offer web development but is ranked among the top in the country for computer science (I've applied for CompSci - software engineering), and I love the campus there as well. Also, I'm extremely worried about exam anxiety and stress getting to me and not achieving my predicted grades (especially in psychology), so Staffs being a lower offer is quite reassuring.

Hey!

I definitely second what Drew says here - three years is a long time to be somewhere that you don't 100% love. And though it's played down a lot, the lifestyle part of uni can be just as important as the course itself.

But yeah, I was in a similar situation in the way of courses - Staffs had the exact course I wanted (Cartoon & Comic Arts), but my family were very keen on me going to the higher ranked unis I'd applied for (but all of them missed out on key modules I really wanted in my degree, as they were just general Illustration). I'd definitely recommend looking into what kind of things/modules each course covers, and go through a checklist of things you want to be able to put on your CV when you graduate. Hope this helps!

Well done on your predicted grades, and best of luck for this year!

- Gee
Another question from me :smile:

What should I bring to uni, just in general? Kitchen stuff? Room decoration? I have no idea what to prioritize. :biggrin:

Thanks!
Original post by Jamie_Ki
Another question from me :smile:

What should I bring to uni, just in general? Kitchen stuff? Room decoration? I have no idea what to prioritize. :biggrin:

Thanks!

Hi again!

So, I threw together a list of things you might want to consider packing, earlier this year. You can find that here - http://blogs.staffs.ac.uk/student-blogs/2017/08/07/what-to-pack-for-student-accommodation/ And while you're in the site, definitely have a search around to see if there's anything else that can help you with this, and that's just from my experience.

I do really recommend taking some things to decorate your room. The last couple of years there's been a big poster sale on campus in September, in case you forget though, and there's always Forbidden Planet or HMV in town too!
Hi again!

So, I threw together a list of things you might want to consider packing, earlier this year. You can find that here - http://blogs.staffs.ac.uk/student-blogs/2017/08/07/what-to-pack-for-student-accommodation/ And while you're in the site, definitely have a search around to see if there's anything else that can help you with this, and that's just from my experience.

I do really recommend taking some things to decorate your room. The last couple of years there's been a big poster sale on campus in September, in case you forget though, and there's always Forbidden Planet or HMV in town too!

Thanks!

Another one; how did you become an online ambassador? Do you have to apply? It seems like a fun and worthwhile role. Thanks! Again :smile:
Yeah, it's great! You get so many great opportunities!

If they need Digital Student Ambassadors, they put out a job advert on Unitemps in the summer (or any other time we're running low on numbers), and you apply with a few pieces of work to show what you can do!

Edit: Don't worry, these posts are well advertised on the uni's social media!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 29
Hello everyone! My name is Laura, I’m from Cannock, Staffordshire. I have applied for the LLB (2 Year) Law degree! I shall be moving away from home and maybe living in Stafford or stoke on Trent. I’m extremely nervous about joining University as I’m classed as a mature student and I’m scared I won’t fit in with everyone on the course! I’m coming to an open day on the 25th of November (if I’m not at work)
Original post by Laujx98
Hello everyone! My name is Laura, I’m from Cannock, Staffordshire. I have applied for the LLB (2 Year) Law degree! I shall be moving away from home and maybe living in Stafford or stoke on Trent. I’m extremely nervous about joining University as I’m classed as a mature student and I’m scared I won’t fit in with everyone on the course! I’m coming to an open day on the 25th of November (if I’m not at work)

Hi Laura!
Don't be nervous! You'll most definitely find someone to gel with; people don't seem to notice age as much at uni!
There are a few student blogs on the subject that might help you feel at ease. Here's a great one, but defo look around the site for anything specific that you're worried about...
http://blogs.staffs.ac.uk/student-blogs/2016/05/09/what-it-is-like-to-be-a-mature-student/
Hope to see you on the 25th!
- Gee
Reply 31
Hi Laura!
Don't be nervous! You'll most definitely find someone to gel with; people don't seem to notice age as much at uni!
There are a few student blogs on the subject that might help you feel at ease. Here's a great one, but defo look around the site for anything specific that you're worried about...
http://blogs.staffs.ac.uk/student-blogs/2016/05/09/what-it-is-like-to-be-a-mature-student/
Hope to see you on the 25th!
- Gee

Thank you! I shall have a look at those! And I hope to see you all on the 25th!
Original post by Laujx98
Thank you! I shall have a look at those! And I hope to see you all on the 25th!

When I start uni I will be 20 which I dont think fully classes as a mature student but it's something I was slightly worried about when I applied thinking that everyone was going to be younger than me hahah
Reply 33
Original post by Skipppppyyyyy
When I start uni I will be 20 which I dont think fully classes as a mature student but it's something I was slightly worried about when I applied thinking that everyone was going to be younger than me hahah

That’s what age I will be too! I’m on sam access course for mature students so I don’t know how it works😂
Original post by Laujx98
That’s what age I will be too! I’m on sam access course for mature students so I don’t know how it works😂

I was actually almost 20 when I started. I'd say people who started on my course at 18 were actually in the minority. My partner is will be almost 22 when he starts his degree. With Foundation course, extended courses and gap years, I think a lot of people choose not to go straight to uni at 18! You'll be in good company ahaha
Hi! I'm Amy and i've just applied to the accounting and finance course starting with a foundation year :biggrin: anxiously waiting to hear back :biggrin:
Hi!!
I’m Abbie and I live in Norwich. I have applied for the Music Business and Production course and luckily I was offered an unconditional if I make Staffordshire my firm (which I am)!!! I’m so happy. Ever since I visited the uni for an open day in the summer I have been so excited to go.

Has anyone else applied for any music courses?

Good luck to everyone else applying!
Hi! How long did they take to get back to you? :smile:
Original post by amysweetpea
Hi! How long did they take to get back to you? :smile:

Hi!!
Took them about 3-4 weeks. Good luck!!
Thought I'd give an update - I received my offer today! 112 UCAS points or unconditional if I make it my firm :biggrin: I'm 90% sure I'll be taking the unconditional offer, though I'm still waiting on my admissions test results from Imperial.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending