The Student Room Group
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

Nottingham Trent University (NTU) applicants' thread - 2018 entry

Welcome to the Nottingham Trent University (NTU) applicants’ thread - 2018 entry

Hi guys, if you are thinking of applying or have already applied to NTU for 2018 then this is the page for you!

This thread is a chance to chat with others and ask me any questions you may have about NTU.

Just fill out the form below and get the discussion going!

Course:

Undergraduate/Postgraduate:

Offer made?:

Are you coming to an open day?:

Any questions that you would like to ask Chris?:

Good luck with your application! :smile:

Chris - NTU Rep
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Kayleigh

Nursing/ English haven't fully decided yet

Undergraduate

Applying through UCAS haven't sent of application yet

I have always wanted to go to Nottingham Trent university no other universities interest me but I don't have the highest of grades and I am really worried

I am studying 2 A levels and 1 As currently at greenhead college, I have 9 GCSEs at grade C or higher and I have one BTEC in pe at a grade two pass equivalent to a grade C, my a level and as predications are B,C,D

Can someone give me some advice please on if they accept low grades I'm worried and scared
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by kayleighbeccax
Kayleigh

Nursing/ English haven't fully decided yet

Undergraduate

Applying through UCAS haven't sent of application yet

I have always wanted to go to Nottingham Trent university no other universities interest me but I don't have the highest of grades and I am really worried

I am studying 2 A levels and 1 As currently at greenhead college, I have 9 GCSEs at grade C or higher and I have one BTEC in pe at a grade two pass equivalent to a grade C, my a level and as predications are B,C,D

Can someone give me some advice please on if they accept low grades I'm worried and scared

Hi Kayleigh

Great to hear that you are interested in applying to NTU!

You can search for our courses using our find your course tool on our website, there you will be able to find all of the information about courses you may be interested in.

Our English course comes highly reccommended with 94% of our students saying they would recommend English at NTU (NSS 2017).

You might also find it helpful to read a student story from a current English student at NTU. Kate Sims talks about her experience of the course, the facilities available and work experience that she's gained during their time at NTU.

An important thing to remember is that our 2018 entry requirements haven't been released yet so please don't worry too much.

Hope this has helped, let me know if you have any more questions :smile:

Chris - NTU Rep

Keep up with our daily stories on Facebook.

Follow our Twitter for student news.

Explore our campuses with Instagram.

See what life at NTU is like on our Youtube.
Course: Marketing
Undergraduate/Postgraduate: Undergraduate
Offer made?: Application not sent yet, still waiting for my Sixth Form reference...
Are you coming to an open day?: Attended in July :biggrin:
Any questions that you would like to ask Chris?: Do you miss out a lot if you stay home instead of living in Accomadation? :/
Course: Psychology

Undergraduate/Postgraduate: undergrad

Offer made?: (ucas application being sent off once school have dealt with Oxbridge

Are you coming to an open day?: planning to attend an applicant one in the spring.

Any questions that you would like to ask Chris?: could you tell me more about the students in classrooms scheme.
Rebecca
Original post by SailorMoonQueen
Course: Marketing
Offer made?: Application not sent yet, still waiting for my Sixth Form reference...
Are you coming to an open day?: Attended in July :biggrin:
Any questions that you would like to ask Chris?: Do you miss out a lot if you stay home instead of living in Accomadation? :/

Hi @SailorMoonQueen

Great to hear that you're considering applying to NTU!

I currently study Business Management and Marketing BA (Hons) at NTU, so if you have any questions about the Marketing course then feel free to ask away!

I know loads of people who live at home and commute to university, living at home certainly doesn't mean you'll miss out on anything. Being based at home doesn't make you any less a full-time student; it just makes you one with more regular access to a (working) washing machine. You'll have all the benefits of the student life, plus a place to get away from it all when you need it (and everyone does, from time to time).

As well as making friends with like-minded people on your course, we have over 100 societies to join ranging from sport, Disney or even making cocktails. Joining a society is a great way to meet new people and get involved with university life.

Most events put on by societies are throughout the day/evening so you won't necessarily have to worry about whether you're going to miss the last bus home etc.

Hope this has helped, let me know if you have any more questions :smile:

Chris - NTU Rep

Original post by Mathsenthused
Course: Psychology

Undergraduate/Postgraduate: undergrad

Offer made?: (ucas application being sent off once school have dealt with Oxbridge

Are you coming to an open day?: planning to attend an applicant one in the spring.

Any questions that you would like to ask Chris?: could you tell me more about the students in classrooms scheme.
Rebecca

Hi @Mathsenthused

Great to hear you're considering applying to NTU!

Our Students in Classrooms scheme is a great opportunity to be a positive role model, made a difference to local young people and get paid! There are over 300 placements available to work in local schools, academies and colleges in a range of roles.

You will have the chance to work alongside an established classroom teacher to offer support in a primary or secondary school, academy, or college. You will also undertake a range of activities, working one-to-one with pupils and in small groups. Examples include listening to readers, supporting practical classroom activities, helping with coursework, and delivering presentations that raise awareness of higher education. As well as this, you will have the opportunity to experience some aspects of teaching outside of the classroom, such as planning and preparation for lessons.

The scheme aims to help raise attainment levels, to develop pupil character, and to raise awareness about opportunities available post-16 and within higher education.

Hope this has helped, let me know if you have any other questions :smile:

Chris - NTU Rep

Course: Animal Biology
Undergraduate
Offer?: I have not applied yet, waiting until after the open day
Open day?: I attended one last year but wasn't ready for uni, so am attending another one on Saturday to double check that it'll be the uni for me.
Questions: Is it difficult adjusting to university life, for example, meeting new people, living with strangers, the course content etc.
Where would be some fab places to visit in nottingham?
Are there societities at the Brackenhurst campus or is that mainly for the city campuses? Or can you still go to the ones at the city campuses?
Original post by helpmelucy
Course: Animal Biology
Undergraduate
Offer?: I have not applied yet, waiting until after the open day
Open day?: I attended one last year but wasn't ready for uni, so am attending another one on Saturday to double check that it'll be the uni for me.
Questions: Is it difficult adjusting to university life, for example, meeting new people, living with strangers, the course content etc.
Where would be some fab places to visit in nottingham?
Are there societities at the Brackenhurst campus or is that mainly for the city campuses? Or can you still go to the ones at the city campuses?

Hey @helpmelucy

Great to hear that you’re interested in applying to NTU, hope you are looking forward to joining us at our open day on Saturday!

There’s no sugar coating it, University life is hard work but it’s important to remember that everyone is in the same boat. Living with strangers can get some getting used to, but we have Facebook groups so that when you book your accommodation, you are able to find your housemates before you arrive at your halls of residence.

This really helped me when I moved into halls as my new flatmates didn’t feel like strangers. In terms of meeting new people, our welcome week is designed to help you meet as many new people as possible.

There’s a huge range of activities on offer throughout the day as well as the one’s that go on into the early hours. It’s a great chance to meet new people and make new friends and get introduced to your course as well. I found Welcome Week a great opportunity to get involved with the things I already liked to do, to try new things and to also meet some like-minded people.

Nottingham has something for everyone from shopping, sports and culture galore. Personally I love the castle, to have a massive historic building in the centre of a busy city I think is amazing. Check out our Nottingham section on our website, which has loads of information about the city, things to do and places to eat.

We have over 100 societies to sign up for and it doesn’t matter which campus you are on, you can sign up for as many or as little as you want. There are some that are specific to Brackenhurst but by no means does this mean they are the only ones you can sign up for. A full list of societies and sports clubs you can sign up to can be found here.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions and I hope you enjoy your open day at NTU on Saturday :smile:

Chris - NTU Rep

Course: Biomedical science

Undergraduate

Offer made?: Haven't sent off application yet

Are you coming to an open day?: No, but will be taking a self guided tour

Does NTU consider/accept resit students for biomed?
I'm currently taking a gap year and doing some resits too because i didnt do aswell as i'd have liked to. I got a C in biology but i need a B for biomed.. i was 3 marks off the B (so gutted).
Original post by Tomatoplace
Course: Biomedical science

Undergraduate

Offer made?: Haven't sent off application yet

Are you coming to an open day?: No, but will be taking a self guided tour

Does NTU consider/accept resit students for biomed?
I'm currently taking a gap year and doing some resits too because i didnt do aswell as i'd have liked to. I got a C in biology but i need a B for biomed.. i was 3 marks off the B (so gutted).

Hi @Tomatoplace

Great to hear you are considering applying to NTU!

You will still be able to apply with a grade C, but you will be made an offer based on the fact that you would need to achieve a grade B in Biology from your resit (and you meet all other entry criteria).

If you have any queries about applying then you can contact our friendly admissions team on +44(0)115 848 4200 or email [email protected] and they will be happy to help

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask :smile:

Chris - NTU Rep

Course: MSc Chemistry (Professional Practice) SW.

Undergraduate/Postgraduate: Postgraduate

Offer made?: Yes, Received an conditional offer too

Are you coming to an open day?:i would like too. but haven't registered

Any questions that you would like to ask Chris?: Can u help me with accommodations?
Original post by Sonia Sawant
Course: MSc Chemistry (Professional Practice) SW.

Undergraduate/Postgraduate: Postgraduate

Offer made?: Yes, Received an conditional offer too

Are you coming to an open day?:i would like too. but haven't registered

Any questions that you would like to ask Chris?: Can u help me with accommodations?

Hi Sonia,

Congrats on your offer from NTU!

Of course I can help with accommodation.

Check out our Find NTU accommodation section on our website where there is a list of University accommodations that cater to Masters students. Just refine the search to 'Suitable for Postgraduate/Mature students'

As your subject is Chemistry, your lectures will be based on the Clifton Campus, so it could be worth looking at halls such as College Drive and New Hall.

Alternatively, we have residences in the city and you could commute using the regular bus service from the city to Clifton.

You can also look at our Other accommodation page which can help you find private halls or studio flats if you don't want to stay in University owned halls.

We have a range of accommodation that suits all budgets and preferences.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions! :smile:

Chris - NTU Rep

Course: chemical engineering

Undergraduate/Postgraduate: undergraduate

Offer made?: haven't applied yet

i am currently studying edexcel IAL in three subjects, physics, chemistry and maths. As i am an international student i was wondering is there a UCAS system to apply to the university and how many UCAS points do i need to apply to the course and what is the minimum grades i need to be accepted into the university?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by jannat_salsabil
Course: chemical engineering

Undergraduate/Postgraduate: undergraduate

Offer made?: haven't applied yet

i am currently studying edexcel IAL in three subjects, physics, chemistry and maths. As i am an international student i was wondering is there a UCAS system to apply to the university and how many UCAS points do i need to apply to the course and what is the minimum grades i need to be accepted into the university?

Hi @jannat_salsabil

Unfortuantely, Chemical Engineering isn't a course we offer at NTU. We have alternatives such as:

Chemistry - MChem

Pharmaceutical and Medicinal Chemistry - BSc (Hons)

You can check out all of our courses using the course search tool on our website.

All of our courses have different entry requirements which are found in each of the course pages

In terms of applying, all applications are made through UCAS - there's a form that you will need to fill in.

You can check out our how to apply section on our website where there is some helpful guidance.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions :smile:

Chris - NTU Rep

Course: Law

Undergraduate/Postgraduate: Undergradutate

Offer made?: Nope, not yet unfortunately

Are you coming to an open day?: Already been, thought the campus was really good and the Law building is awesome.

Any questions that you would like to ask Chris?: When do you think offers will start to be made? Also, how did you find your first year accommodation?
Original post by Undefined..
Course: Law

Undergraduate/Postgraduate: Undergradutate

Offer made?: Nope, not yet unfortunately

Are you coming to an open day?: Already been, thought the campus was really good and the Law building is awesome.

Any questions that you would like to ask Chris?: When do you think offers will start to be made? Also, how did you find your first year accommodation?

Hi @Undefined..

Great to hear you've applied to NTU!

We aim to respond to your application within 5 working days so hopefully we'll be in touch soon!

I'm with you on the law buildings, definitely up there with my favourite parts of the uni!

I stayed in Gill Street South in my first year and I loved it. Being close to the city centre was great as well as it only being a 2 minute walk to Uni. It's a fairly new building so having a modern place to live was great as well.

What residence are you hoping to book?

Give me a shout if you have any other questions and i'll be happy to answer :smile:

Chris - NTU Rep

Course: LLB International Law

Offer made?: yes, offer made today 6 hours afters after sending off ucas. It is an unconditional if firm choice otherwise BBB.

Are you coming to an open day?: No

Any questions that you would like to ask Chris?: what is the nightlife like? Does the University have a good social life too? Best ensuite accom? Are there many shisha lounges in Nottingham?
Original post by MarxHatesParsons
Course: LLB International Law

Offer made?: yes, offer made today 6 hours afters after sending off ucas. It is an unconditional if firm choice otherwise BBB.

Are you coming to an open day?: No

Any questions that you would like to ask Chris?: what is the nightlife like? Does the University have a good social life too? Best ensuite accom? Are there many shisha lounges in Nottingham?

Just out of curiosity, how did you manage to get an unconditional offer?
Original post by Nottingham Trent University
Hi @Mathsenthused

Great to hear you're considering applying to NTU!

Our Students in Classrooms scheme is a great opportunity to be a positive role model, made a difference to local young people and get paid! There are over 300 placements available to work in local schools, academies and colleges in a range of roles.

You will have the chance to work alongside an established classroom teacher to offer support in a primary or secondary school, academy, or college. You will also undertake a range of activities, working one-to-one with pupils and in small groups. Examples include listening to readers, supporting practical classroom activities, helping with coursework, and delivering presentations that raise awareness of higher education. As well as this, you will have the opportunity to experience some aspects of teaching outside of the classroom, such as planning and preparation for lessons.

The scheme aims to help raise attainment levels, to develop pupil character, and to raise awareness about opportunities available post-16 and within higher education.

Hope this has helped, let me know if you have any other questions :smile:

Chris - NTU Rep

Hi Chris. I have recieved a conditional offer now. I plan to come to an applicant open day in the Spring to view accomodation. I am looking at accomodation with parking. I was wondering if you could tell me what The Maltings is like/ what people think about it. Thanks!

Quick Reply