Critical Thinking? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Vixen
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Im just starting year 13 but need to pick up another AS level and critical thinking was suggested to me. What exactly does this involve? Ive never heard of it before and its new to my school. Is it worth doing? Do you need to be good at anything in particular to do well in it? Any help would be greatly appreciated
~Sam~
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by VixenIW)
Im just starting year 13 but need to pick up another AS level and critical thinking was suggested to me. What exactly does this involve? Ive never heard of it before and its new to my school. Is it worth doing? Do you need to be good at anything in particular to do well in it? Any help would be greatly appreciated
I did it last year and got a B. It's a good subject to do if you want one with an easy workload, as it doesnt really involve any revising. It's basically just learning how to contruct good arguments and being able to pick flaws in other peoples arguments. You'd probably be good at it if you have good analytical skills and the things you learn in it can come in useful for subjects like history. If it's taught well it would probably be interesting, but unfortunately our lessons were really boring. It doesnt take up much time though (we only had like one lesson a week) and it's fairly well regarded by unis
Vixen
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
I did it last year and got a B. It's a good subject to do if you want one with an easy workload, as it doesnt really involve any revising. It's basically just learning how to contruct good arguments and being able to pick flaws in other peoples arguments. You'd probably be good at it if you have good analytical skills and the things you learn in it can come in useful for subjects like history. If it's taught well it would probably be interesting, but unfortunately our lessons were really boring. It doesnt take up much time though (we only had like one lesson a week) and it's fairly well regarded by unis
Wow kool, sounds good. I think i'll give it a shot. Thanks so much for your help
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by VixenIW)
Wow kool, sounds good. I think i'll give it a shot. Thanks so much for your help
You're welcome
Ellie4
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm doing AS crit thinking, but my teacher said it's sometimes included as part of uni offers :eek: This is nonsense right?
sixthirtythree
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Ellie4)
I'm doing AS crit thinking, but my teacher said it's sometimes included as part of uni offers :eek: This is nonsense right?
Honey, at York, even General Studies is a part of your university offer.
Evolin
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Ellie4)
i think it is included as a subject.
Ellie4
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by deianra)
Honey, at York, even General Studies is a part of your university offer.
But I have no idea how good I'm going to be at it! I don't want it as part of my uni offer!
Ellie4
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Not likely: Critical Thinking is only an AS and only rarely as AS grades included in university offers. Plus you have 5 A2s so that offsets any AS grade thing that the university wants. Kay?
Kay
Nima
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'll be honest and say that Tek told me. I presumed it was true though?

(Oh dear, I'm never going to live this down).
I've checked the site - Yes, they don't state "excluding general studies", but from what I've seen, they'll often state the 3/4 subjects they want the offer from anyway, especially if it's competitive, like Economics.

The website is very "nice", to applicants.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (203)
27.58%
No (533)
72.42%

Watched Threads