Saarah488
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Agh just came out of my lnat and not feeling very confident tbh. The MCQ were ok but the essay was a disaster. Out of the 3, the only essay question that appealed to me was about human rights (which i am now very ineterested in and want to learn more about)! I didn't finish my conclusion and just had a few more words to add and I also didn't have enough time to proof-read it 🙂🔫
username3525234
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What were the essay questions if I may ask, just to help me prepare
username3525234
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
And don't worry, depending on the unis you applied to, some don't look at the essay and only really look at the MCQ score so if you did well in that you'll be fine
Polzovatel
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi
Do you know which unis take lnat essays into account and which - don't ?
Arbitio LNAT
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Polzovatel)
Hi
You took the LNAT, forget about it now. Score is usually more important that the essay, but they work in a complimentary fashion: getting a better score can offset a sub-par essay, a great essay can offset a below average score. Every application is individually considered for all its features.

However, Oxford and UCL do take the essay into account with an official mark scheme.

Bristol counts the essay for 40% of the LNAT component, with five bands.

KCL does not compute the essay into a score, rather seems to consider it for borderline candidates.

Nottingham takes the essay into account, but is not determinate of any decision.

Durham has a qualitative mark scheme.

Glasgow views the essay as an add-on to the application.

SOAS does not say how they view the essay.

In summary, essay of course counts and is important but so is the score. Focus now on your UCAS (if still to be submitted) and getting top grades at A-level. If any interviews apply in your case, take them as they come
Saarah488
Rep:
?
(Original post by Polzovatel)
Hi
Yeh the ones that ask for the lnat are:
Uni of bristol
Uni of durham
Uni of Edinburgh
King's college london
Uni of nottingham
Oxford
Soas
UCL
The ones that don't are all the rest lol
Saarah488
Rep:
?
(Original post by mjustliving)
And don't worry, depending on the unis you applied to, some don't look at the essay and only really look at the MCQ score so if you did well in that you'll be fine
And lol I'm applying to Oxford mate so I'm in a sticky situation 😩😩 But I tried my best in the time I ahd so yeh that's all I could really di
Saarah488
Rep:
?
(Original post by Arbitio LNAT)
You took the LNAT, forget about it now. Score is usually more important that the essay, but they work in a complimentary fashion: getting a better score can offset a sub-par essay, a great essay can offset a below average score. Every application is individually considered for all its features.

However, Oxford and UCL do take the essay into account with an official mark scheme.

Bristol counts the essay for 40% of the LNAT component, with five bands.

KCL does not compute the essay into a score, rather seems to consider it for borderline candidates.

Nottingham takes the essay into account, but is not determinate of any decision.

Durham has a qualitative mark scheme.

Glasgow views the essay as an add-on to the application.

SOAS does not say how they view the essay.

In summary, essay of course counts and is important but so is the score. Focus now on your UCAS (if still to be submitted) and getting top grades at A-level. If any interviews apply in your case, take them as they come
Thanks for this- really motivating! Thing is I am actually applying to Oxford but yeh I guess I'm just hoping to score well MCQ to even out the essay. I am thinking of applying to SOAS too but it's not my first choice. I'm also applying to Warwick and UoB which don't take it into account so if all goes terribly, I have them as a pretty decent backup
username3525234
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Himyar48)
And lol I'm applying to Oxford mate so I'm in a sticky situation 😩😩 But I tried my best in the time I ahd so yeh that's all I could really di
Ahh bro it is what it is, you've done the test now just try to improve other parts of application like personal statement etc. Hopefully you did well in the MCQ
Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (56)
17.28%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (92)
28.4%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (121)
37.35%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.58%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise