If you were tasked with re-writing the Religious Studies GCSE Watch

Arran90
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
The Religious Studies GCSE has been (heavily) revised as part of Michael Gove's GCSE reforms, but if you were tasked with re-writing it from scratch then what would the end product be like? In particular:

1. Should the course focus more on learning about religions or should it focus more on ethics and philosophy in modern western society?

2. Should Islam be a compulsory part of the course or should it be optional?

3. Should Christianity be a compulsory part of the course or should it be optional?

4. How many religions should be students be examined on?

5. Should there be optional papers for students who follow (or want deeper knowledge of) a particular religion with more advanced topics?
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Arran90)
The Religious Studies GCSE has been (heavily) revised as part of Michael Gove's GCSE reforms, but if you were tasked with re-writing it from scratch then what would the end product be like? In particular:

1. Should the course focus more on learning about religions or should it focus more on ethics and philosophy in modern western society?

2. Should Islam be a compulsory part of the course or should it be optional?

3. Should Christianity be a compulsory part of the course or should it be optional?

4. How many religions should be students be examined on?

5. Should there be optional papers for students who follow (or want deeper knowledge of) a particular religion with more advanced topics?
Interesting question, I think I would want to see a set of religions covered at a basic level. I remember learning stuff about Islam, Christianity, Orthodox etc but would also have been interested in Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism.

I think it would get a bit complicated in terms of exams if you have options for more advanced knowledge in a religion.
Arran90
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Strange how there has only been one response despite RS being a very popular (semi-compulsory?) subject for GCSE.
303Pharma
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A brief overview of the tenets and practices of the great religions; judaism, christianity, islam, buddhism, hinduism, sikhism etc. is essential to understanding history, art, politics, culture in general. But also the old pagan gods; Egyptian mythology, Greece, Rome, the pagan Europe, Odin, the solstice & equinox rituals of ancient Britain ( more stonehenges than the rest of the world combined).

But essentially, it ought to be more leaning to philosophy and ethics, but under the umbrella of critical thinking and analysis. The heaviest of topics require the magnifying class of acute reasoning.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?