The Student Room Group

My road to Uni (Hopefully)

Hi,
I saw this grow your grades thing and I thought it would be fun to write about my last year.

Anyway about me, I am doing Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Chemistry and I want to do chemical engineering at university. My predictions are A*A*AA and I am planning to apply to:
Cambridge(unlikely to get in)
Bath
Leeds
Newcastle
Loughborough

This blog won't be the greatest, I've never been good at writing but whatever, it should be fun. I'll update every so often, anyway heres my first entry:

Road To Uni #1

I'm back at my 6th form now and I'm getting used to the lack of freedom after the summer holidays. However saying that I am happy too be back (for now) and enjoying seeing my mates. I thought that the first couple of weeks would be relatively easy however we have got straight back into work and I have already had loads of homework which has been hard to balance while writing my personal statement and visiting universities on the weekends, I guess thats just part of being a year 13. The weekend work has been hard as I have been spending the weekends at Leeds and Bath open day which has been pretty tiring as they are both fairly far away from where I live, but it was fun (more on those in the next blog).

Writing a personal statement has been the hardest thing to do recently, I know a lot of universities don't see them as that important but I still want it to be the best I can be and I've got less than two weeks to finish them because my schools internal oxbridge deadline is the 29th. Its been hard to condense everything in 4000 characters though, I want to put as much in there as possible, it got to 4800 characters I spent ages cutting it down to 3996 characters. However after rereading it, it turns out some of my sentences don't make sense anymore :tongue:. So now Im at 4020 characters which is so annoying as I don't know what to cut and I'm so close to 4000.

Anyway thats all for this entry, I hope you all enjoyed it.
Road To Uni #2

I'v finally finished my personal statement :smile: and I am ready to apply and I hopefully will on Friday :s-smilie:. I have mad my final decisions as to what uni I will be applying to which was hard but the open days helped with that.

Last Saturday (9th Sept) I went down to Leeds for the open day which was pretty cool. It was like a three hour drive but once I got there I really enjoyed the day, there seems to be so much to do, a massive city centre with probably the most shops I have ever seen in one place before so that was pretty cool, there was even a Taco Bell (I didn't even know they had Taco Bells here in the UK). Also the student union looked really cool, apparently its one of the best in the country, Leeds is also meant to have a sick night life as well, which could be cool. What was also cool about Leeds is that you get the chance to do a year abroad with my course which would be so cool. You can go to loads of places around the world to study for a year, personally I think it would be awesome to study in America for a year (preferably after Trumps been impeached). Also the course seemed pretty interesting, however the entry requirements for Leeds are A*AA which is one of the highest entry requirements for Leeds. So far though Leeds looks like a great choice.

The following Saturday I went to Bath University to see what it was like, I also really liked it, the campus seemed really nice and I really liked the accommodation however the thing that sold me the most was the fact that the pizza they sold was soooo nice :biggrin:. The campus was great it was quite compact which means everything is very easy to get to and all the accommodation was close to the lecture halls. They are so close I have hear people can wake up 5 minutes before the lecture and still arrive in time, which is great for me because I like my sleep. Also the course was really nice for chemical engineering probably my favourite out of all the universities I have applied to. The city is also really nice and I got to see the Roman baths which was pretty cool, there are also loads of shops everywhere, and I have heard there are a few underground night clubs which would be awesome. The student union seems to be really nice as well and there are loads of societies, like Harry Potter society (which I would definitely join), I would also be able to do a year in industry which I would like.

Anyway it is possible I will have to make a choice between the two universities at some point as these are probably my favourite out of the ones I am applying to, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Thats all for now, see ya later.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by 13YearsofSchool
Road To Uni

I'v finally finished my personal statement :smile: and I am ready to apply and I hopefully will on Friday :s-smilie:. I have mad my final decisions as to what uni I will be applying to which was hard but the open days helped with that.

Last Saturday (9th Sept) I went down to Leeds for the open day which was pretty cool. It was like a three hour drive but once I got there I really enjoyed the day, there seems to be so much to do, a massive city centre with probably the most shops I have ever seen in one place before so that was pretty cool, there was even a Taco Bell (I didn't even know they had Taco Bells here in the UK). Also the student union looked really cool, apparently its one of the best in the country, Leeds is also meant to have a sick night life as well, which could be cool. What was also cool about Leeds is that you get the chance to do a year abroad with my course which would be so cool. You can go to loads of places around the world to study for a year, personally I think it would be awesome to study in America for a year (preferably after Trumps been impeached). Also the course seemed pretty interesting, however the entry requirements for Leeds are A*AA which is one of the highest entry requirements for Leeds. So far though Leeds looks like a great choice.

The following Saturday I went to Bath University to see what it was like, I also really liked it, the campus seemed really nice and I really liked the accommodation however the thing that sold me the most was the fact that the pizza they sold was soooo nice :biggrin:. The campus was great it was quite compact which means everything is very easy to get to and all the accommodation was close to the lecture halls. They are so close I have hear people can wake up 5 minutes before the lecture and still arrive in time, which is great for me because I like my sleep. Also the course was really nice for chemical engineering probably my favourite out of all the universities I have applied to. The city is also really nice and I got to see the Roman baths which was pretty cool, there are also loads of shops everywhere, and I have heard there are a few underground night clubs which would be awesome. The student union seems to be really nice as well and there are loads of societies, like Harry Potter society (which I would definitely join), I would also be able to do a year in industry which I would like.

Anyway it is possible I will have to make a choice between the two universities at some point as these are probably my favourite out of the ones I am applying to, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Good luck in your applications this year! Really interesting to see what you think of each university. Do you think you're going to visit Cambridge before you apply? :h:
Original post by Fox Corner
Good luck in your applications this year! Really interesting to see what you think of each university. Do you think you're going to visit Cambridge before you apply? :h:

Hi, I visited Cambridge in the summer on one of the open days, I did really like it but it is really hard to get in.
Road to Uni #3

I've applied :s-smilie: and I am starting to get very anxious, I keep worrying about different parts of my application, and it doesn't help that some of my friends have already got offers. They were from Bristol though so I guess they are just giving them out early, however it is making me repeatedly check track and my emails about 3 times a day. I got all my conformation emails all at different times, I got the Bath and Cambridge emails the next morning and then Loughborough a bit later, and Newcastle on Saturday. I also finally got my conformation email from Leeds which worried me because it took a while to get to me, I also found out that I will have to attend an applicants day for Leeds, which I am both looking forwards to and nervous about (does anyone know when that is?).

Schools going ok, we have just finished the FP1 module in Further Maths which I found quite easy compared to c3 and c4 from last year, however I am finding FP3 very hard and we are only on the first chapter :s-smilie:. Economics and chemistry are basically the same to last year, different topics same difficulty. The only new thing happening to me at school are the practise interviews which are meant to start on Thursday for the oxbridge candidates, as well as the practise maths sessions to practise the areas in the entrance exam.

Spoiler

Road to Uni #3

I got an offer!!!. Last week I got my first offer from Newcastle, AAA with an A in maths and chemistry, I am so glad because at least I have one of my choices giving me an offer. I was really paranoid about not getting an offer from anywhere so I am very relieved I got an offer, I also really like the sound of Newcastle as well, I didn't manage to go to an open day because its so far from where I live, but I have seen the inside of some of the accommodation from google. My friends who went also told me it was really nice.

Spoiler

The day I got it a lot of my friends were getting offers from their choices so, although I was happy for them, I was a bit jealous and very worried, so when I found out I got an offer I was over the moon.

I've also been invited for an interview at Loughborough and I am quite happy about that, also from what I've read about the interview it seems like it will be quite interesting. I also really enjoyed the feel of the university when I went to visit and I would be ecstatic if I got an offer.

However I am starting to get worried again because my friends have started to get. offers from Leeds and Bath, however they are, for the most part, for very different subjects, so I have been calmed by that. Whilst in general this is true one friend got invited for an applicant/interview day at Leeds for mechanical engineering, so I am anxiously checking to see if I have got an interview from Leeds.

School this year is much more intense, and I have to already start working very hard especially in maths, we have finished FP1 and are part way through both FP3 and M2. I am enjoying M2 it is not too much harder than M1 (so far) and I am understanding it all, however some parts of FP3 are quite hard and I am struggling a bit with differential equations, so I am going to work on that during the half term and not the weekend.

Road to Uni #4

Its finally half term!!, to be completely honest the this half happened really fast, apart from the last week which took ages, its actually quite scary as it is a bit over 3 more half terms until my a levels start, and I am starting to get stressed out of worry of being stressed (if you know what I mean). Its also been quite a hard half term I've had more work to do this half of term than the final half of year 12 and probably year 11, and I am going to try and work really hard this break, and try and relearn some my year 12 work, whilst also revising for my standardised assessments on the the week back, as well as the Cambridge assessment on the 2nd of November and also the homework that I have been given from all my teachers.... This seems like so much work while listing it out :frown: but I've got to do it. Luckily I do have some fun things planned to balance out all the work, I'm going to a couple of parties and also going up to London for a day which should be fun. Anyway I'm about to start making my revision timetable which I'll upload later.

Quick Reply

Latest