Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    40k for a Software Developer position in London? How is this for someone with 2 years of experience, compared to typical salaries?

ReputationRep:
    Pretty average
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Gherk)
    40k for a Software Developer position in London? How is this for someone with 2 years of experience, compared to typical salaries?
    It's good considering your experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D3LLI5)
    Pretty average
    What would be good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gherk)
    What would be good?
    no
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Gherk)
    I'd say it's pretty good. My dad works as a software developer and has for almost 17 years just outside London and I think he gets around 45k. Given you only have 2 years experience then I think that's pretty generous.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Good lord I'd kill for anything even close to that salary. I know very few graduates on that amount, except for those in financial management. If, most importantly, you'd enjoy the job, then you're in an ideal position.

ReputationRep:
    Ridiculously good, go for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemur14)
    I'd say it's pretty good. My dad works as a software developer and has for almost 17 years just outside London and I think he gets around 45k. Given you only have 2 years experience then I think that's pretty generous.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you know what field he is in? £45k for 17 years of experience is unusually low.

ReputationRep:
    really low according to tsr standards

ReputationRep:
    It's actually quite low. 45k is the starting salary for most SEs in London. Some even get 70k starting (this is what you'd class as good).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Computer Geek)
    It's actually quite low. 45k is the starting salary for most SEs in London. Some even get 70k starting (this is what you'd class as good).
    What is the 45k figure from? I thought the average was lower

ReputationRep:
    This is an incredibly overoptimistic (read: wrong) assessment. Graduate salaries in London range between £28k-£35k, with various exceptions.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by CJKay)
    Do you know what field he is in? £45k for 17 years of experience is unusually low.
    Not really... I know at one point he was developing training stuff for the army but that was a couple of years ago now. Most the stuff they do is for companies in the middle east but I don't actually know what it is precisely that he does (apart from when he gets forced to write bids... Then I know about it as he moans as he hates it :lol:)
    It may be more like 50k I'm not exactly sure but I guess that's still quite low. It's quite a small company though which I guess may slightly affect it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not really... I know at one point he was developing training stuff for the army but that was a couple of years ago now. Most the stuff they do is for companies in the middle east but I don't actually know what it is precisely that he does (apart from when he gets forced to write bids... Then I know about it as he moans as he hates it :lol:)
    It may be more like 50k I'm not exactly sure but I guess that's still quite low. It's quite a small company though which I guess may slightly affect it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It being a smaller company will definitely be a driver behind the discrepancy, but I couldn't say without knowing the situation personally!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Your sense of starting salaries seems skewed towards only financial services, quant funds and high paying technology companies. I think you'll find the average starting salary is a fair bit lower.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    One of my friend's sister got a 1st in Maths and got a job at bank starting at 62k. However, she was the top graduate in her year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gherk)
    It depends on how good the candidate is. A top candidate (Oxbridge / able RG / gifted) could get £40k straight out of university around Cambridge.

(Original post by CJKay)
    This is an incredibly overoptimistic (read: wrong) assessment. Graduate salaries in London range between £28k-£35k, with various exceptions.
    Ability is key, but there are always employers (/ HR departments) looking to take advantage of people that don't know what they're worth.

You tend to get done on salary once in your career. It's important to work with people that you can learn from - they tend to be (in my experience) in the higher paying companies. If you're not learning in computing, you're going backwards.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.