The Student Room Group

Is my EPQ title too broad?

Hi, I'm starting on my EPQ log book and I wish to do medicine when I'm older and want to know if this title is too broad because I've heard that for high marks you have to be very specific:

Should the NHS be privatized?

So I'm thinking of writing about the pros and cons of fully privatizing the NHS, how it slowly is becoming privatized and the economical and social impacts.

Apparently you can include a questionnaire and an interview (from someone in the medical profession) and I will add this to my essay
So do you guys have any tips and if I'm on the right track.
Many thanks :smile:
Reply 1
I'm not sure about this but don't i think you get marks if you change your title during the EPQ
Reply 2
That is a pretty broad question, given the limited number of words you have to answer it in, and I think it's one which you would struggle to find an answer to, since it relies a lot on hypothetical scenarios. A question like 'To what extent has the involvement of the private sector in the NHS had a positive or negative impact?' might be easier, as it would revolve around analysing things that have already happened, rather than trying to guess at what might happen in the future.
Original post by Beth_H
That is a pretty broad question, given the limited number of words you have to answer it in, and I think it's one which you would struggle to find an answer to, since it relies a lot on hypothetical scenarios. A question like 'To what extent has the involvement of the private sector in the NHS had a positive or negative impact?' might be easier, as it would revolve around analysing things that have already happened, rather than trying to guess at what might happen in the future.

Thanks and do you think if I talk about it well in depth and reach a good conclusion then is it possible for an A/A* or do you think alot of people choose this topic so it's a difficult one :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by GCSE 9
Thanks and do you think if I talk about it well in depth and reach a good conclusion then is it possible for an A/A* or do you think alot of people choose this topic so it's a difficult one :smile:

It shouldn't really matter how many people choose a similar topic - just make sure you research widely and thoroughly analyse your evidence (making sure you include reliable evidence to back up all of your claims), and you should do pretty well. Including a survey is definitely a good idea. Ideally, you should try and get people from all over the country to fill it out (perhaps by emailing it to schools and other organisations) to see if privatisation has had a different impact on wealthier and poorer areas. If you were able to speak to people who work in the NHS and get their insight, that could also prove to be valuable information.
My EPQ teacher last year told me that it doesn't matter too much if your question is a bit broad to begin with, because if you're doing it properly, you'll just naturally narrow it down when you're attempting to stick within the word limit.
Original post by Beth_H

I changed my epq title to the one you suggested, however, my epq teacher said that that's way too broad and something like the NHS should be avoided because it's too hard, do you think she's right and she suggested I do something like "how has the involvement of the NHS impacted polio"? Thanks :smile:
Definitely too broad. If you talked about only the advantages and disadvantages it would be better. I suggest:

"An investigation into the [something eg social] consequences of privatisation."

You have to take either an economic, social or health standpoint in order for it to get high marks though, not all three or even two.
Original post by HoldThisL
Definitely too broad. If you talked about only the advantages and disadvantages it would be better. I suggest:

"An investigation into the [something eg social] consequences of privatisation."

You have to take either an economic, social or health standpoint in order for it to get high marks though, not all three or even two.

Thanks but would this question: "An investigation into the economic consequences of privatisation" talk about the future impacts of the NHS or what already has happened (e.g the current consequences. And also, this question only refers to the conseqences of the NHS not advantages so I wouldn't be able to reach a judgement.
Soryy for blabbing on :wink:
Reply 9
Original post by GCSE 9
I changed my epq title to the one you suggested, however, my epq teacher said that that's way too broad and something like the NHS should be avoided because it's too hard, do you think she's right and she suggested I do something like "how has the involvement of the NHS impacted polio"? Thanks :smile:

I think that you need to make a shortlist of possible questions and then see how much research literature is available for each one. The last thing you want to do is pick a topic and then find that there aren't any sources you can use.

As for the polio question, I wouldn't necessarily say that it's too broad, but the way it's worded is too vague. You'd need to look at a specific aspect of the NHS' involvement, and the impact it had on a particular element of the fight against polio, e.g. 'How significant was the role of NHS public health campaigns in the eradication of polio in the UK?'.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Beth_H
I think that you need to make a shortlist of possible questions and then see how much research literature is available for each one. The last thing you want to do is pick a topic and then find that there aren't any sources you can use.

As for the polio question, I wouldn't necessarily say that it's too broad, but the way it's worded is too vague. You'd need to look at a specific aspect of the NHS' involvement, and the impact it had on a particular element of the fight against polio, e.g. 'How significant was the role of NHS public health campaigns in the eradication of polio in the UK?'.

Thanks again, could you possibly generate a title for the NHS privatisation one that isnt broad and specific but still alot of information on it. It would be very helpful :smile:
Original post by username3112590
Hi, I'm starting on my EPQ log book and I wish to do medicine when I'm older and want to know if this title is too broad because I've heard that for high marks you have to be very specific:

Should the NHS be privatized?

So I'm thinking of writing about the pros and cons of fully privatizing the NHS, how it slowly is becoming privatized and the economical and social impacts.

Apparently you can include a questionnaire and an interview (from someone in the medical profession) and I will add this to my essay
So do you guys have any tips and if I'm on the right track.
Many thanks :smile:

Hi I am also thinking about doing my EPQ on privatization of the NHS but my teacher is saying that my question is too broad: Should the NHS be privatized? " and Im struggling to find any resources. could you share any resources and what you ended up deciding your question would be please? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending