Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can someone tell me how they're finding their biomedical or biological science course at Imperial please

What are the contact hours like (e.g. is it like 30 hours over 5 days)
    What are the facilities like? Library, labs..

Etc.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I have just finished a Biological Sciences degree at Imperial so please feel free to ask me any questions you want. Incase you didn't know, Biological Sciences and Biochemistry share most of the final year options so I can offer some advice on the Biochemistry course if you would be interested as well.

1) In the first year you have two hours of lectures a day and a lab (up to three hours) or a tutorial (one hour) on two afternoons a week. In the second year the hours go up a little bit and you have your lecturers in the afternoons instead, but you still have a good amount of free time. Your contact hours in the final year will really depend on the options you chose because some are lab heavy while other options don't have lab work at all. Overall it's pretty relaxed and, as long as you keep on top of your work, you should have plenty of free time.

2) The facilities are pretty good - I've never really had any issues with them. A few times something has broken in a lab and a new piece of equipment is brought out pretty much straight away. I never really used the library because I prefer to work at home, but it's open 24 hours on most days and they'll buy in books/journals for you if they don't have a copy and a lecturer has recommend it. People complained a lot about the lack of air conditioning, but they're putting that in at the moment so that should be sorted by the time you start university!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Firefly13)
    I have just finished a Biological Sciences degree at Imperial so please feel free to ask me any questions you want. Incase you didn't know, Biological Sciences and Biochemistry share most of the final year options so I can offer some advice on the Biochemistry course if you would be interested as well.

1) In the first year you have two hours of lectures a day and a lab (up to three hours) or a tutorial (one hour) on two afternoons a week. In the second year the hours go up a little bit and you have your lecturers in the afternoons instead, but you still have a good amount of free time. Your contact hours in the final year will really depend on the options you chose because some are lab heavy while other options don't have lab work at all. Overall it's pretty relaxed and, as long as you keep on top of your work, you should have plenty of free time.

2) The facilities are pretty good - I've never really had any issues with them. A few times something has broken in a lab and a new piece of equipment is brought out pretty much straight away. I never really used the library because I prefer to work at home, but it's open 24 hours on most days and they'll buy in books/journals for you if they don't have a copy and a lecturer has recommend it. People complained a lot about the lack of air conditioning, but they're putting that in at the moment so that should be sorted by the time you start university!
    Thank you for your help! If you don't mind me asking, do you know what career you're going to go into with your Biological Sciences degree? I'm not entirely sure yet myself! Does Imperial offer industrial year placements, and if so, do they give you support and advice to help get them? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wacky01)
    Thank you for your help! If you don't mind me asking, do you know what career you're going to go into with your Biological Sciences degree? I'm not entirely sure yet myself! Does Imperial offer industrial year placements, and if so, do they give you support and advice to help get them? Thanks!
    It's no problem - careers has pretty much been my life for the past year!

I'm training to become a Biology teacher at the moment. I was interested in going into research at the start of my degree, but I quickly realised it just wasn't right for me and coming from a family of teachers I never had much chance of doing anything different . I'd say it's probably good that you don't know exactly what you want to do at the moment because it gives you a lot more freedom to find out what you actually want to do. Just to give you an idea though, most of my friends are doing an MSc/PhD or something with finances/business. A few people are doing things with science and the media or the NHS, so there are lots of options out there for you.

Imperial offers Year in Industry or Year Abroad options if it's something you would be interested in. I was signed up for the Year in Industry option, but I swapped back to the normal three year course after realising it wasn't for me. You need to be getting a 2:1 to go on the placement, but almost everyone gets that so it's nothing to worry about. They are pretty good with helping you get placements as well - they send out a lot of emails when things are advertised and they offer support for applications/interviews so you aren't left to do it all by yourself.

You can apply for the Year in Industry/Abroad through UCAS, but it won't make you more or less likely to get a place because they consider all of the Biological Sciences options together (same with Biochemistry and their options). You can easily swap between the different courses within Biological Sciences or Biochemistry when you get to Imperial with a quick email to the undergraduate office so don't worry too much about what option to chose (although swapping between Biological Sciences and Biochemistry is pretty rare, unless you do it right at the start, you have the right A Levels and they have space).

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask me anything else

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Firefly13)
    It's no problem - careers has pretty much been my life for the past year!

I'm training to become a Biology teacher at the moment. I was interested in going into research at the start of my degree, but I quickly realised it just wasn't right for me and coming from a family of teachers I never had much chance of doing anything different . I'd say it's probably good that you don't know exactly what you want to do at the moment because it gives you a lot more freedom to find out what you actually want to do. Just to give you an idea though, most of my friends are doing an MSc/PhD or something with finances/business. A few people are doing things with science and the media or the NHS, so there are lots of options out there for you.

Imperial offers Year in Industry or Year Abroad options if it's something you would be interested in. I was signed up for the Year in Industry option, but I swapped back to the normal three year course after realising it wasn't for me. You need to be getting a 2:1 to go on the placement, but almost everyone gets that so it's nothing to worry about. They are pretty good with helping you get placements as well - they send out a lot of emails when things are advertised and they offer support for applications/interviews so you aren't left to do it all by yourself.

You can apply for the Year in Industry/Abroad through UCAS, but it won't make you more or less likely to get a place because they consider all of the Biological Sciences options together (same with Biochemistry and their options). You can easily swap between the different courses within Biological Sciences or Biochemistry when you get to Imperial with a quick email to the undergraduate office so don't worry too much about what option to chose (although swapping between Biological Sciences and Biochemistry is pretty rare, unless you do it right at the start, you have the right A Levels and they have space).

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask me anything else
    Thank you

Do you know how much importance Imperial place on AS grades?

Thanks for all your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wacky01)
    Thank you

Do you know how much importance Imperial place on AS grades?

Thanks for all your help
    I was predicted the grades they wanted and I haven't really asked my friends what their predications were so I can't tell you with 100% certainty how much importance they place on them.

However, given what I know about their admission process, I expect they want you to have the grade they want at A Level at AS Level (if your school still does them). Don't worry if you 'only' have what they want and think they will reject you because you don't have straight A*'s - what they say they want they will accept. If you haven't quite got the grade they are after then make sure any extenuating circumstances are put in your reference with an explanation of how you are working to do better in the next set of exams.

Hope this helps!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.