Everyone who reads this needs to listen to this man know as 'The Weeknd'... Watch

Ryanthom100
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by rhaegal100)
Im sure most music fans will have heard of some of his music, for example the hills has more than a billion views

I know a lot of ppl who listen to trilogy, maybe kiss land isnt very popular but there was a lot of hype when starboy was released too

I agree though there arent many hardcore weeknd fans (wouldnt say im one) but then again he did come on tour in london in march
Yeah i guess, but everyone has heard starboy and the hills etc. They haven't heard the rest of him
fatiana
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ryanthom100)
It's happened before. Pretty sure there's not one ****ing typo in the whole thread. APART from the title
trust me I hate when that happens, especially when you see over 10 replies asking "what do you mean by eating phones"
Im sure most music fans will have heard of some of his music, for example the hills has more than a billion views
I'm gonna get a lot of hate for saying this, but in all honesty idek he had a song called hills nor do I know how is voice sounds like.
Ryanthom100
Rep:
?
(Original post by animeamanda1412)
trust me I hate when that happens, especially when you see over 10 replies asking "what do you mean by eating phones"

I'm gonna get a lot of hate for saying this, but in all honesty idek he had a song called hills nor do I know how is voice sounds like.
You won't get a lot of hate. It ain't your fault if u ain't heard it, as u probably haven't had the opportunity to hear it.
rhaegal100
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Lool im not going to hate you for that but clearly you've not been in touch with popular culture
Yukikobestgirl
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
He's already popular what's the point of this thread
You all need to jump on the Death Grips train
now this is really good and interesting music
lmaooome
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I only called you when it's half past five
fatiana
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You won't get a lot of hate. It ain't your fault if u ain't heard it, as u probably haven't had the opportunity to hear it.
true say; I've been too busy fangirling over kpop
Lool im not going to hate you for that but clearly you've not been in touch with popular culture
tbh the only music I've heard is kpop, before year 10 I never even used to listen to music; but as soon as I found kpop I listened to only that, and like two songs by Shawn Mendes. So yes; this thread does have a point imo
rhaegal100
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

tbh the only music I've heard is kpop, before year 10 I never even used to listen to music; but as soon as I found kpop I listened to only that, and like two songs by Shawn Mendes. So yes; this thread does have a point imo
Im not saying that the thread is pointless but when an artist has a song with 1bn+ views and charts in the UK then a fair number of music fans have heard of him.
Ryanthom100
Rep:
?
true say; I've been too busy fangirling over kpop

I love Shawn mendes, you should check out all his songs on youtube one day.
fatiana
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Im not saying that the thread is pointless but when an artist has a song with 1bn+ views and charts in the UK then a fair number of music fans have heard of him.
idk, i know this thread did help me; dunno about everyone else
Ryanthom100
Rep:
?
(Original post by lmaooome)
I only called you when it's half past five
<3
Ryanthom100
Rep:
?
it's not pointless tbh, most people have heard of him, but the majority haven't heard of trilogy and kissland which are his best albums.
JK11
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Kissland is his greatest album.
Pidge Gunderson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
But no one can look as handsome as the weeknd :O
He used to look like any average bloke tbf. Funny how money makes an average person seem handsome/beautiful
Ryanthom100
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pidge Gunderson)
He used to look like any average bloke tbf. Funny how money makes an average person seem handsome/beautiful
Naaa in kiss land he was HOT AS ****. He didn't seem like he had fame and money in his music videos as well. I see where ur coming from tho.
TimeWaster
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The Weeknd fan since 2012
Ryanthom100
Rep:
?
(Original post by TimeWaster)
The Weeknd fan since 2012
🖤🖤🖤
db10
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The Weeknd fan from 2011-2013
Afuru
Badges: 12
Report 2 years ago
Spoiler:
Show

I tried anime, you can try the main thing in my life now animeamanda1412

This mans name is The Weeknd (Abel Tesfaye), his music will take you on a wild journey through his life and maybe he will change you as a person for the better. (Just like he did with me). He is now my life, if he died i would be just as depressed as if one of my close family members died...

This thread might be long, but thank you if you do follow this journey. Remember, don't just admire his beautiful vocals, listening to the lyrics is key.

I will start off with some of his earliest mixtapes (not his earliest songs, but i think his earlier ones sounded too synthetic etc)

In 2010 he released 3 mixtapes that had 9 songs on each. These 3 mixtapes were called "House of Balloons", "Thursday" and "Echoes of Silence". He released these mixtapes for free to grow his popularity and was a smart marketing strategy that payed off VERY well.

Here is house of balloons (You might recognise high for this from the hugo boss advert ):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX9D...6F466B&index=1

Here is Thursday(my favourite ever mixtape):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdH1...dgjA4qk5NmwS17

Here is Echoes of Silence (You might recognise Dirty Dianna from Michael Jackson ):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXT1...6201BA77AD3BBE

In 2012 he remastered these 3 mixtapes into a compilation album called "Trilogy". The story of trilogy can be found here.
http://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/inde...topic=318487.0

Songs from trilogy that have music videos on YouTube:
Rolling Stone
Wicked Games
The Zone
Twenty Eight
The Knowing

In 2013 he released an album called "Kissland". This is based on a world he created in his head, just like how house of balloons was created based on his experiences in his hometown Toronto. Kissland is under-looked by a lot of fans which is something i don't understand as its still on another level just like trilogy. Kissland is based in Japan as it's the furthest Abel has ever travelled from home.

Here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJPL...99Ef45UxVf8bcr

Songs that have music videos (these music videos are amazing):

Belong To The World
Kiss Land
Love in the Sky
Live For
Pretty

The next album is called "Beauty Behind The Madness". This information may not be correct, but this is how i like to believe it was. BBTM is about Abel selling his soul to the devil to 'light' up his career as a singer.

Here it is:
http://onlyhitss.com/englishsongs/14...songs-Download

His latest album known as 'Starboy' has a electro pop vibe to it as it features daft punk. It's about his fast growth of fame, however some believe the song party monster is also a cry for help.

I can't find a way to stream starboy (or link it), i guess you can stream it off spotify or just buy the album.

I would go into more detail about Abel in this thread but i don't really have enough time. If you want to find out more the website which tells you the story of trilogy is a good place to look, there are also many other websites if you look hard enough. Hopefully i have turned a few of you to XO. But remember to check out artists who the weeknd collabs with aswell, lil uzi vert and lana del rey are 2 personal favourites
I agree the Weekend made me feel like I was in a different place/escapism music and he was so unique when he released those mixtapes, however he's not great anymore.

His music is literally just electro pop now, like it has no feelings to his songs, since he became well known and popular, he adjusted his music to fit the likes of people who listen to pop/chart music because theres more money in targeting this market. I believe he's just become more mainstream and sadly I can't stand his music anymore, but thanks for posting this because I want to listen to the trilogy now and relive his best music.
Ryanthom100
Rep:
?
(Original post by Afuru)
I agree the Weekend made me feel like I was in a different place/escapism music and he was so unique when he released those mixtapes, however he's not great anymore.

His music is literally just electro pop now, like it has no feelings to his songs, since he became well known and popular, he adjusted his music to fit the likes of people who listen to pop/chart music because theres more money in targeting this market. I believe he's just become more mainstream and sadly I can't stand his music anymore, but thanks for posting this because I want to listen to the trilogy now and relive his best music.
yeah u should, but ngl, starboy is a good album I think, some great songs like 'Starboy', 'I feel it coming' and 'Reminder' etc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (75)
18.52%
Labour (165)
40.74%
Liberal Democrats (86)
21.23%
Green Party (30)
7.41%
Brexit Party (12)
2.96%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (6)
1.48%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.23%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)