The Student Room Group

Durham, St. Andrews, Edinburgh or King's for CS (Choose 2)

Hi,

I'm currently completing my UCAS application form and making my final decisions on which universities to apply to for a computer science course.

I am definitely sure about applying to Cambridge, Imperial and UCL. However, I am in a toss-up between the four universities mentioned in the title for my last 2 places.

I am wondering if anyone could provide me with some of their own views, whether they are simply from external research, or you have attended the universities in question themselves and can contribute your personal opinions on the course quality, graduate prospects etc.

Thank you for your time.
Edinburgh and St Andrews. The others suck and you should probably consider universities similar to UCL such as Southampton, Manchester or Warwick.
Edinburgh/St Andrews and then Durham/Kings

Edinburgh/St Andrews are both good for CS. I think St Andrews is harder to get an offer from since they are popular with US students and they also charge 3 years fees for their 4 year courses for English students (or at least they used to). Edinburgh is one of the top unis in the world for AI. What's your fee status? International and RUK (England/Wales/N. Ireland) students have higher offer rates at Edinburgh than Scottish and EU students due to fees.

Durham and KCL have good reputations in general but not in CS. For KCL - applicants don't need A-Level maths. Kings would make a good "safe option since their entry requirements are quite low.

Search and read the threads for UCL CS and IC CS from last year (2017 entry). Both Unis were really selective - rejecting even some candidates with A*A*A predicted grades with many candidates not getting their offer/rejection until April. Hopefully you'll get a Cambridge offer!
Reply 3
Hi,

Thank you for the replies. I have decided on Edinburgh as my fourth option, however I am now still deciding between Manchester and St. Andrews for my 5th. Which would you each recommend and why?

Thanks again.
Original post by Numpeep
Hi,

Thank you for the replies. I have decided on Edinburgh as my fourth option, however I am now still deciding between Manchester and St. Andrews for my 5th. Which would you each recommend and why?

Thanks again.

St Andrews, because reputation.
Original post by Numpeep
Hi,

Thanks again.

St Andrews also have a strong rep in the field of functional programming, which is going to get bigger and bigger in the next few years.

With Manchester, it has a great overall rep but it's possibly due to the sheer size of the student population and subjects offered.

For me it would be St Andrews then Manchester.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending