The Student Room Group

first class graduate with no hope for the future

I recently graduated with a 1st in Spanish and Linguistics (BA Hons).
My plan was to do a PGCE to become a secondary school Spanish teacher, however that did not go to plan... one of the courses I applied to got cancelled due to the module leader resigning and the other I did not get accepted to as I was not experienced enough.

As of recently, I have just been feeling utterly **** about my life... I have no savings (I gave most of my student finance to my mum for living costs throughout my degree) and am finding it really hard to find a graduate job. I had an interview today for a cashier in a supermarket - don't get me wrong, I would not mind working in a supermarket for a couple of months till I find something better, but I fear not finding a job related to my degree would make my skills disappear and then I'll never get a graduate job.

All my friends are either in amazing jobs or working abroad teaching English and travelling, whilst I'm here doing f*** all.

Please help. My fear is becoming unemployable because of not using my teaching/degree-related skills for a long period of time.

Suggestions would help greatly.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by leila2330
My plan was to do a PGCE to become a secondary school Spanish teacher, however that did not go to plan... one of the courses I applied to got cancelled due to the module leader resigning and the other I did not get accepted to as I was not experienced enough.

As of recently, I have just been feeling utterly **** about my life... I have no savings (I gave most of my student finance to my mum for living costs throughout my degree) and am finding it really hard to find a graduate job. I had an interview today for a cashier in a supermarket - don't get me wrong, I would not mind working in a supermarket for a couple of months till I find something better, but I fear not finding a job related to my degree would make my skills disappear and then I'll never get a graduate job.

All my friends are either in amazing jobs or working abroad teaching English and travelling, whilst I'm here doing f*** all.

Please help. My fear is becoming unemployable because of not using my teaching/degree-related skills for a long period of time.

A degree does not have an expiration date.

Have you looked into applying for another teaching course? A lot of graduates go back into menial jobs after graduation while they try and find something better - there's nothing wrong with that.
Reply 2

Why don't you apply to Teach First?
I know it probably won't help, but maybe you shoulda had a think about all this before you decided to do a languages course.
Reply 4
Original post by Computer Geek
I know it probably won't help,

Yes, you're correct.

And yet 100% wrong at the same time. OP wanted to be a teacher, and languages is a perfect course to be a language teacher don't you think...
Original post by Doonesbury
Yes, you're correct.

And yet 100% wrong at the same time. OP wanted to be a teacher, and languages is a perfect course to be a language teacher don't you think...

No, I think an Education degree is more appropriate to become a teacher, thats before PGCE. There is way too many unqualified teachers in this country that managed to wing their way through teacher training like it was a lads night out.

I'm personally against languages even being a degree course, if anything they should be certifications, can't think of any good reason for a language (including English) to be an entire 3 year full fat degree course.
Reply 6
I'm personally against languages even being a degree course, if anything they should be certifications, can't think of any good reason for a language (including English) to be an entire 3 year full fat degree course.

:toofunny:

Edit to add: oh like MCSE/MCSD certifications. Yeah good idea - no need for CompSci degrees either.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by utopia2
Why don't you apply to Teach First?

got 240 UCAS points and Teach First require 280... damn!

thinking about saving money in a menial job for a year then either volunteering abroad or working as an english teaching assistant abroad

It just takes time mate. One of my friend took almost 2 years to get a job related to his subject and he was studying journalism. Just dont overthink your current situation too much, it wont be much help to your mental health.
Reply 9
got 240 UCAS points and Teach First require 280... damn!

thinking about saving money in a menial job for a year then either volunteering abroad or working as an english teaching assistant abroad

Are you sure - this isn't my area but I'd have though your degree trumps any A-level requirements.

And looking at http://graduates.teachfirst.org.uk/faqs

"To be eligible for the Leadership Development Programme, we look for the following:
1. 2.1 degree or above
2. A degree or A-levels that satisfy our teaching requirements
3. Grade C (or equivalent) in GCSE Maths and English (Grade C in one science GCSE is also required for primary teaching).
This year we’ve removed our minimum academic requirements for A-levels (or equivalent) in recognition of the fact that many people are held back from achieving their true potential by educational disadvantage. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds to our programmes and we are committed to a fair and inclusive selection process for all candidates. We’re looking for the most talented individuals to join us, whatever their background."
Reply 10
Are you sure - this isn't my area but I'd have though your degree trumps any A-level requirements.

And looking at http://graduates.teachfirst.org.uk/faqs

"To be eligible for the Leadership Development Programme, we look for the following:
1. 2.1 degree or above
2. A degree or A-levels that satisfy our teaching requirements
3. Grade C (or equivalent) in GCSE Maths and English (Grade C in one science GCSE is also required for primary teaching).
This year we’ve removed our minimum academic requirements for A-levels (or equivalent) in recognition of the fact that many people are held back from achieving their true potential by educational disadvantage. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds to our programmes and we are committed to a fair and inclusive selection process for all candidates. We’re looking for the most talented individuals to join us, whatever their background."

:colondollar: this is so good to hear, thank you so much for your help!
Reply 11
:colondollar: this is so good to hear, thank you so much for your help!

De nada :smile:

:hat2:
Have you thought about tutoring? I think a lot of graduates are in your position, but you should try not to panic. If your friends can find something, then so can you. Well done on your first!
No, I think an Education degree is more appropriate to become a teacher, thats before PGCE. There is way too many unqualified teachers in this country that managed to wing their way through teacher training like it was a lads night out.

You think you're a superior being - we get it. You've contributed nothing to this thread and probably made the OP feel worse. You can leave now.
no need for CompSci degrees either.

Someone's salty :rofl3:

If you want to be a teacher and you are lacking experience then look at a teaching assistant job. You might have to volunteer in a school first but you can then move onto a paid role.
:toofunny:

Edit to add: oh like MCSE/MCSD certifications. Yeah good idea - no need for CompSci degrees either.

I can't really contribute to the conversation much so all I am going to say is that you are an *******.
Reply 17
Original post by SalazarSlytherin
I can't really contribute to the conversation much so all I am going to say is that you are an *******.

So you think a languages degree is pointless too?
(edited 6 years ago)
So you think a languages degree is pointless too?

(You know I was laughing at, not with...?)

What I think is irrelevent. You are an ******* to computer geek.
Reply 19
Original post by SalazarSlytherin
What I think is irrelevent. You are an ******* to computer geek.

Yes you're right. What you think, about this topic, is irrelevant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest