Hurricane Maria becomes 'extremely dangerous' storm

Watch
MrDystopia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hurricane Maria has strengthened to an "extremely dangerous" category four storm, US forecasters say, as it bears down on islands in the Caribbean.

It is due to hit the Leeward Islands, which include the US and British Virgin islands, in the coming hours.

Maria is moving roughly along the same path as Irma, the hurricane that devastated the region this month.

Martinique declared a maximum-level alert while another French island, Guadeloupe, ordered evacuations.

Hurricane warnings were also issued for Puerto Rico, Dominica, St Kitts and Nevis, Montserrat, St Lucia and the US and British Virgin Islands.

A hurricane watch is in place for St Martin, Saba, St Eustatius and Anguilla.

Some of these islands are still recovering after being hit by Hurricane Irma - a category five hurricane which left at least 37 people dead and caused billions of dollars' worth of damage.

US President Donald Trump declared a state of emergency for the US Virgin Islands on Monday.

The Leeward Islands, where Maria will first strike, include Antigua and Barbuda. The latter island was evacuated after being devastated by Hurricane Irma.

The US National Hurricane Center (NHC) has warned that heavy rainfall caused by the hurricane "could cause life-threatening flash floods and mudslides".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-41314881

Quite unthinkable really that on the back of Hurricanes Harvey and Irma, we're now seeing another major hurricane, this one seemingly on course to strike those affected by Irma a couple weeks back. You really have to feel for those in the Caribbean right now
username3441700
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I have a friend in the BVI and it was incredibly heartbreaking seeing the devastation but not just that, there doesn't seem to be much help going round (perhaps just in her area) and they are having to rebuild the community without much.

Its truly saddening. All the people in the Caribbean have been through a lot in these past couple of weeks.
Ninja Squirrel
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I seriously hope these recent mass storms give Trump a wake up call to listen to scientists and act on the Paris accord. This is what happens when a businessman runs a country, he puts profit above the safety of his country.
MrDystopia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Update, Hurricane Maria has strengthened to Category 5. 2017 is poised to be only the second time in history where two Category 5 hurricanes make landfall.
Ninja Squirrel
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MrDystopia)
Update, Hurricane Maria has strengthened to Category 5. 2017 is poised to be only the second time in history where two Category 5 hurricanes make landfall.
Is it going to hit the U.S again or the Caribbean Islands?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (26)
5.68%
Uncertainty around my education (52)
11.35%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (55)
12.01%
Lack of purpose or motivation (61)
13.32%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (24)
5.24%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (20)
4.37%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (46)
10.04%
Financial worries (28)
6.11%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (19)
4.15%
Exposure to negative news/social media (30)
6.55%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (14)
3.06%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (45)
9.83%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (38)
8.3%

Watched Threads