The Student Room Group

Depression is not weakness

For anyone who is feeling depressed, head over to https://faithanddreamsblog.wordpress.com/2017/09/19/depression-is-not-weakness/. It's a quick reminder that depression is not a weakness, not to be ashamed of, and something that you can change. Also: You're not alone.

I was depressed for a long time, and at the time I felt totally alone and misunderstood. Looking back, I relalise that my depression was completely misunderstood, and this problem continues to be misunderstood by many people. We need to change this.

Keep fighting, and never be afraid to ask for help. It could be the biggest relief of your life.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Ive suffered with depression, for many years. After having my daughter it came back "post nataly" I'm 19 and on anti depressants ❀️ keep fighting
Sure makes me feel weak
Reply 3
Original post by Keels2407
Ive suffered with depression, for many years. After having my daughter it came back "post nataly" I'm 19 and on anti depressants ❀️ keep fighting

I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences if you want to share. The blog I posted is meant to be a chance for people to share their stories and hopefully inspire others. I've posted some of my own experiences there too. Go check it out.

And I know depression makes you feel weak.. it's in its nature, sadly. But you're not weak, and you will come out the other side a ****ing warrior.
Thanks! I could easily write a book about my life (but then again so could other people) I've been thro ALOT in my 19 years of life! (again, so have others ) ❀️
Original post by Nerol
I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences if you want to share. The blog I posted is meant to be a chance for people to share their stories and hopefully inspire others. I've posted some of my own experiences there too. Go check it out.

And I know depression makes you feel weak.. it's in its nature, sadly. But you're not weak, and you will come out the other side a ****ing warrior.

I'll have a look at the blog. Thanks
Yeah a warrior because it's hell
Reply 6
lol I'm sorry what ?

Of course it's a weakness, it has a negative detriment to every aspect of your life. I see what you're getting at, you're trying to romanticise mental illness like those self indulgently teenage crap blogs like a Thought catalog but you sound quite stupid.
Reply 7
depression still not a strength to be proud of. it is more a weakness than a strength.
Reply 8
I get what you're trying to say, but as it's a diagnosed illness that you're attempting to beat, the medical definition would differ somewhat.

There's no shame in having it. There's no shame in being open about it. There's no shame in admitting it's hard.
Reply 9
Original post by Woeful
lol I'm sorry what ?

Of course it's a weakness, it has a negative detriment to every aspect of your life. I see what you're getting at, you're trying to romanticise mental illness like those self indulgently teenage crap blogs like a Thought catalog but you sound quite stupid.

Having depression doesn't make you a weak person any more than having a physical illness or disease does. It's something that happens to you. It can happen to anyone, no matter how tough or strong or emotional they are. It can be fought and beaten, or it can take your life.

And I'm not trying to romanticize anything. I'm taking my own experiences and research and giving my view on depression. It's a horrible thing to deal with, but ignoring it won't make it go away. I think people need to be more open about it and society as a whole needs to be more aware of what depression actually is.
Reply 10
Original post by TheDuo
depression still not a strength to be proud of. it is more a weakness than a strength.

It's a mental health problem. While it may make your body and mind weaker for a time, it doesn't make you a weak person.

This post came about because of a conversation I had with a friend of mine who said people who become depressed must be weak or emotional in the first place, which is obviously not true.

And I wouldn't say be proud of being depressed, but people should absolutely be proud of getting through it, seeking help, gaining an understanding of it, treating others who are suffering with compassion, taking the time to learn about it, raising awareness of it and trying to help.
As someone who is suffering from depression I personally don't think it's weak. After all, you are trying to fight through your problems whilst fighting a mental issue.
It doesn't make you a weak person nor does it mean you should be ashamed of yourself, but certain illnesses affect people more susceptible to it than others.

Catching more colds than your next door neighbour means you're weaker than him in that respect.

The first step out of any illness is accepting it and doing your utmost to fight it.
Reply 13
Original post by Keels2407
Thanks! I could easily write a book about my life (but then again so could other people) I've been thro ALOT in my 19 years of life! (again, so have others ) ❀️

I feel ya! I often wonder who will play me in the movie! Haha! Drop me an email through the blog any time.
Reply 14
Original post by rockrunride
It doesn't make you a weak person nor does it mean you should be ashamed of yourself, but certain illnesses affect people more susceptible to it than others.

Catching more colds than your next door neighbour means you're weaker than him in that respect.

The first step out of any illness is accepting it and doing your utmost to fight it.

Don't forget, though, with many mental health problems, including depression, life events can make you more vulnerable to certain illnesses. Childhood abuse, chronic stress, trauma and so on make us more susceptible to depression and anxiety. I wouldn't say being susceptible to a condition makes you weaker than someone who isn't. It just makes you different.

And you are absolutely right about accepting it. People should be able to accept having mental health problems and seek the help they need. Sadly, the stigma that still surrounds mental health problems means that doesn't always happen.
Only stupid people with no indepth experience of true pathological depression would say it's a weakness.
Original post by rockrunride

and other illnesses are just chance.If you get cancer but your friend doesn't are you weaker than him?No.Its just a random genetic mutation that causes cancer.It can happen to anyone.
Going by the replies I can only assume people aren't aware of real depression. Looks like y'all need to go and read Kraepelin.
Original post by Woeful
lol I'm sorry what ?

Of course depression isn't a weakness. You wouldn't call diabetes or cancer a weakness so why would you assume depression is?
I would say it is a weakness. Anything that stops you being in tip top shape is a weakness whether it be from a cold to cancer. I agree it's nothing to be ashamed off and agree that people should be more open about there problems but to deny it being a weakness kinda denies the problem itself.

Quick Reply

Latest