The Student Room Group

Depression is not weakness

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Guru Jason
It's because it is more than a state of mind that I believe it is a weakness. If it was a state of mind then it would be the person who was weak.

I have much empathy for those who suffer from depression. It is an illness that needs to be treated with the care and respect it deserves. But by denying it is a weakness, your denying it's a problem.

How have you heard of Kraepelin by the way?
Original post by Walt_14
How have you heard of Kraepelin by the way?

I had to read up on him when you first mentioned him. I can't call you out if I don't know anything about him. As far as i can tell he was a product of his time but he did alot of good work.

I'm not a scientist by any means but I do like reading interesting stuff.
Original post by Guru Jason
I had to read up on him when you first mentioned him. I can't call you out if I don't know anything about him. As far as i can tell he was a product of his time but he did alot of good work.

I'm not a scientist by any means but I do like reading interesting stuff.

Fair. Read up on manic-depressive insanity and paranoia if you're really interested.

https://archive.org/stream/manicdepressivei00kraeuoft#page/62/mode/1up
Reply 43
I seem to have confused a lot of people with the title of this post. If you read the blog I linked, it'll probably make more sense.

Anyway, a healthy debate is always good. It gets people talking. I don't know why people feel the need to belittle others, though. If you don't have an argument besides 'You're wrong and stupid', perhaps consider researching the topic at hand first, and returning later with an informed view on the matter.

Otherwise, bugger off, you idiots :'D

(Please note the use of irony...)
I've been dealing with a lot of inner demons, it doesn't help that life keeps kicking me in the teeth, but I digress, I've been suffering with depression for quite some time now, it's something I've hidden for the longest time, I've always felt embarrassed by it, some days are better then others, it's hard to put into words the havoc this illness ( I hate using that word) it has rote on me, at my lowest I was miserable out of shape and hated myself, I felt like a complete loser, I graduated with a decent degree, but I just couldn't land a job, in the 3d industry or otherwise, It was debilitating, I'd never felt like this before, i've always had my path set out from me, school, college and university, but upon graduating, that was no longer the case, I thought employers would be climbing over themselves to get at me, boy was I in for a rude awakening, they didn't care about the piece of paper I had spent 3 years working towards, it was meaningless to them, they wanted experience, and at that time that was something I lacked, in time I got kicked in the proverbial teeth and learned how to give a decent interview and landed a few jobs here and there, I even landed a job as a modeller for a well known company, things were going fine, but alas my happiness was short lived, my contract as a modeller was ended, not on bad terms, but because the project was completed, and I found myself out of the job, I did land another job fairly quickly in retail, I hated every second of that job, the manager was on some power trip and would constantly have a go at the staff, no one liked her, after about 9-10 months I quite, i'm willing to but up with a lot of BS, but when you insult me in front of customer and then have the nerve to laugh at me, i'm not going to be a happy bunny, I quit in devastating fashion, I wont say how, and once again I found myself jobless, depression wrapped its claws around me, and dragged me into that dark place, I was there for a while, it was at this time I watched a interview of Pat Morita, aka mr miyagi, and the struggles he went through in life, he said something that struck a cord, if he could overcome all those things, then I should be able to as well, I started exercising, it was hard but after I while I could feel myself climbing out of that dark place, its been a few years since, and although i'm not completely cured, I dont feel like i'm not a complete loser, i've been doing weekly challenges to keep me motivated and on the right path I've been documenting my progression, challenging myself
is it a physical problem or all in the head ?
Original post by Nalk1573
is it a physical problem or all in the head ?

It can be either or both, in my case, I had an overwhelming sence of sadness and despair, I coould get stuff done but I just felt sad all the time, You woundn't have known I hid it well

Quick Reply

Latest