Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Blocking driveways Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I live in a modular home and I have people that keep blocking my driveway even though I do not drive is there something that I could do to keep them from parking in my spot your help is well preciate it

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I understand what a modular home is or why it'd be a particular problem.

Could you stick a sign up that says 'access required 24h'
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Missy810)
    I live in a modular home and I have people that keep blocking my driveway even though I do not drive is there something that I could do to keep them from parking in my spot your help is well preciate it
    If they're parked on a public road then technically it's perfectly legal for them to park there. You could try lodging a complaint with your local council though, they may be able to help though I wouldn't get your hopes up too high.

ReputationRep:
    Is there any significance of the property being modular:holmes:

I'm sure you can contest the parking if it's 'blocking' you in, even if you don't drive, you may wish someone else to use the drive.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Missy810)
    This is only a problem in the eyes of the Police when you are parked on your drive and cannot get off due to an obstruction - it does not work the other way round.

If you don't drive, why is this an issue? Could you not simply ask your neighbours to leave a gap for when you need to use your driveway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Leonidas)

I'm sure you can contest the parking if it's 'blocking' you in, even if you don't drive, you may wish someone else to use the drive.
    I think a modular home is similar to modular flats. They are prefabricated often made of Fibre glass or GRP. Windows are rounded on the corners with their frames integrated into the actual wall. Sometimes windows are round like port holes.
    Usually modular homes are coloured white, beige, brown, orange or yellow. Often linked with concrete walkways and bridges in the case of modular flats.
    They do house very fine people such as accountants, architects, Drs, and those in-between jobs.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)
    I think a modular home is similar to modular flats. They are prefabricated often made of Fibre glass or GRP. Windows are rounded on the corners with their frames integrated into the actual wall. Sometimes windows are round like port holes.
    Usually modular homes are coloured white, beige, brown, orange or yellow. Often linked with concrete walkways and bridges in the case of modular flats.
    They do house very fine people such as accountants, architects, Drs, and those in-between jobs.
    I believe when they asked the significance of the house being modular, it was whether the information was pertinent to a driveway being blocked - it's not.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)
    :toofunny:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    If they're parked on a public road then technically it's perfectly legal for them to park there. You could try lodging a complaint with your local council though, they may be able to help though I wouldn't get your hopes up too high.
    Not if they are causing an obstruction. It's illegal to park across a driveway.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Not if they are causing an obstruction. It's illegal to park across a driveway.
    Unfortunately, it isn't illegal - the Highway Code has it down as a "do not" rule, not a "must not" rule.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    Unfortunately, it isn't illegal - the Highway Code has it down as a "do not" rule, not a "must not" rule.
    Rights of way?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Rights of way?
    I'm afraid not. It's a crazy world - the Highway Code says don't park on a dropped kerb or where it impacts entrance/exit to a property, but there's no law regarding it
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid not. It's a crazy world - the Highway Code says don't park on a dropped kerb or where it impacts entrance/exit to a property, but there's no law regarding it
    Hmm, ok but they could be sued for nuisance by preventing the enjoyment of your property.

But yeah that would be a civil case.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, ok but they could be sued for nuisance by preventing the enjoyment of your property.

But yeah that would be a civil case.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Did we just read the same article? :')
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Did we just read the same article? :')
    getsurrey....
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    getsurrey....
    Mine was Kentlive! Same quote! These local news rags man...
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Mine was Kentlive! Same quote! These local news rags man...
    Trinity Mirror

Killing local newspapers one town at a time....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Leonidas)

Maybe it doesn't look like a house or the driveway doesn't look like a driveway?

if it's brand new build the kerb might not have been dropped yet... which is something you need to request

OP seems to have gone away so we may never know.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 23, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.