Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Neighbor is building an extension Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok so my neighbour is building a single storey rear extension now I have an extension aswell and also the other house next to him has an extension aswell but this prick is making it bigger then ours now it passes two fences in my garden i don't want him to remove it but can he remove it? He has the left side. Now this guy gives the house to rent the people in rent are very nice people but the landlord is a prick we have been living here for 15+ years and this prick was never around 3-4 months ago he knocked down his garage and built a massive one and he removed 3-4 fences and come 3-4 inches into my land saying that it's his and that the previous owners have built into their land and from the looks of it he was kinda right but it will still very stressful and upsetting because we never did that now he never even knocked on my door when he started working on the extension yesterday. He is a prick and I get very angry when I speak to him which don't help therefore I don't want to speak to him and my parents is at work while the workers are working... what can I do as I don't want him to remove my fence
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stack__)
    Ok so my neighbour is building a single storey rear extension now I have an extension aswell and also the other house next to him has an extension aswell but this prick is making it bigger then ours now it passes two fences in my garden i don't want him to remove it but can he remove it? He has the left side. Now this guy gives the house to rent the people in rent are very nice people but the landlord is a prick we have been living here for 15+ years and this prick was never around 3-4 months ago he knocked down his garage and built a massive one and he removed 3-4 fences and come 3-4 inches into my land saying that it's his and that the previous owners have built into their land and from the looks of it he was kinda right but it will still very stressful and upsetting because we never did that now he never even knocked on my door when he started working on the extension yesterday. He is a prick and I get very angry when I speak to him which don't help therefore I don't want to speak to him and my parents is at work while the workers are working... what can I do as I don't want him to remove my fence
    Speak to your solicitor to find out what your rights are. Make decisions and take actions from there.

I've moved your thread into this sub-forum so that you'll hopefully get the replies you're after.

ReputationRep:
    Surely if he's building on his own land then there's not much you can do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    Surely if he's building on his own land then there's not much you can do?
    Yeah I know i just don't want them to damage my property while building it and not to trespass into my garden or remove any fences

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know i just don't want them to damage my property while building it and not to trespass into my garden or remove any fences
    If they damage your property they would have to repair it so I'm sure the contractors will be careful about that. If your fences are on his property then he can remove them? That's kinda your fault for not being sure of your property boundaries. If they're coming into your garden while building and you're there then you can tell them to get out, if it's not making any difference to you I would let it go. You could always find out your real property boundaries and put a fence up there and then they couldn't enter your property.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    If they damage your property they would have to repair it so I'm sure the contractors will be careful about that. If your fences are on his property then he can remove them? That's kinda your fault for not being sure of your property boundaries. If they're coming into your garden while building and you're there then you can tell them to get out, if it's not making any difference to you I would let it go. You could always find out your real property boundaries and put a fence up there and then they couldn't enter your property.
    Fences are on the boundary line

ReputationRep:
    If they got planning persmisson, then there is little you can do.

ReputationRep:
    Fences are on the boundary line
    Then talk to him about his plans. It's not unreasonable to request the fences come down for a few weeks to avoid them being damaged if the building work will be near them. But he should replace them afetrwards.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.