This discussion is closed.
Pumpkinfoodle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
right. i'll lay it simple.

firm - AAB biochemistry at Imperial
insurance - ABB :confused: molecular/celluar bio at Bath.

got AABB, imperial wanted AAB (got the grades in the wrong order)

the chemistry needs 5 marks to become the A, therefore all 6 modules have been sent for a remark (expensive, but lets forget the money matter). i'm being very optimistic about finding 5 marks from 6 modules.

in an email from the admissions tutor back january, she did mention..

" if an applicant for the MSci course drops a grade, as long as the A remains in chemistry, then the applicant will automatically be transferred onto the Bsc course..."

in a separate phonecall days after results day, my application was declined, they explain to me it was because of the B in chemistry. Then they said after my plead that even the remark won't change their final decision.

so! now i have a place at bath, for definite. i don't actually mind where i go, but i live in london... and i'm principally frustrated at not meeting my firm.

QUESTION - shall i fight for my place at imperial at all?!?!!!?
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Pumpkinfoodle)
QUESTION - shall i fight for my place at imperial at all?!?!!!?
I wouldn't.
emom100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
form what you said it doesn't sound like they havevery much sypathy and if theyhave already said that the remark will not change things then you would be better going to bath, theres no point in loosing a year just for the sake of imperial. I know quite a few people there that are miserable, Imperial isn't the be all and end all of life and bath is a fantastic uni to go to.
InterCity125
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It's a bad situation. If the re-makr had come back before the 31/08 then Imp would have been legly bound to accept you.
You could start a fight, but I'm not that sure you'd win. Even if you did they would be set against you from the start, so I would not like to go into that atmosphere.
Bath is very good - go there. Imperial do not want you so why bother with them - bunch of Oxbridge wannabes anyway
who_me
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
No, go to Bath.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think if the remark comes back and you're into the A grade then you should invited in on a red carpet, because you should be the last person to absorb the consequences of your work being mismarked.
waiting2smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
I wouldn't.
Me neither. I was in a similar situation, having exceeded the entry requirements which was ‘ABB’ by achieving AABB (but in the wrong subject), however still lost my place. I didn’t think about reapplying, re-marking, or retaking. You’ve attained great grades and you should be proud of them. I know how disappointing it is to miss out on your firm but Bath sounds great and has an excellent reputation. Also as emom100 already mentioned, how can you fight for your place if Imperial have already said a re-mark will not change the situation?
Pumpkinfoodle
Rep:
?
true everybody. but my mum is brainwashed with all imperial propaganda, and my mum (my dad doesnt' mind, he's really optimistic about everything).. tells everyone how i'm "living by/suffering from my miserable consequences" to everbody she meets... so it was making me ask questions about where i should be off to.

bath is still 100 miles from london. not that i'm too homely a person. i reckon i'm just angry by principle.

why is everyone not sounding too happy with imperial?
Pumpkinfoodle
Rep:
?
ooh. results.

3 modules not marked (was never told hat papers from 2003 where not for remark)
3 modules this year marked. one went up +1, one went down -1, one was the same. so no overall change,still five away from the A.

rubbbbbbbish.
aimeelou
Report 14 years ago
Submitting 6 modules for a remark is dangerous - they could just as easily go down!
Ben.S.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I don't really think mis-marking is such a problem in chemistry - probably more so with a waffle subject, like geography or psychology.

Ben
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (281)
27.6%
No (737)
72.4%

Watched Threads