johnstones1111
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm currently on the second week of college and I've started two A-levels in both English combined and Politics, as well as a BTEC subsidary diploma in ICT. I want to swap my ICT option to a A-level Computing class, does this sound look a good idea? My college keeps discouraging the idea as I only got a 5 in maths at GCSE level (low B / high C) and they were looking for a 6 in maths; I want to keep my options open as I do not know exactly what I want to do when I'm older I just want to make sure my options are open as I enjoyed computer science at school (got a B) and I wouldn't mind doing something with computers when I'm older. I was thinking of swapping English to History, I'm not sure if this is a good idea either? I'd like to get rid of the BTEC ICT course primarily as it is very boring and consists mainly of basic work, it doesn't seem that highly rated anyways.. Ideas? Also was wondering if you can get into decent universities for perhaps CS without an A-level in maths but just with the A-level in computing providing my overall A-level grades are good overall and meet UCAS tariffs?
FloralHybrid
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by johnstones1111)
I'm currently on the second week of college and I've started two A-levels in both English combined and Politics, as well as a BTEC subsidary diploma in ICT. I want to swap my ICT option to a A-level Computing class, does this sound look a good idea? My college keeps discouraging the idea as I only got a 5 in maths at GCSE level (low B / high C) and they were looking for a 6 in maths; I want to keep my options open as I do not know exactly what I want to do when I'm older I just want to make sure my options are open as I enjoyed computer science at school (got a B) and I wouldn't mind doing something with computers when I'm older. I was thinking of swapping English to History, I'm not sure if this is a good idea either? I'd like to get rid of the BTEC ICT course primarily as it is very boring and consists mainly of basic work, it doesn't seem that highly rated anyways.. Ideas?
I don't see why you wouldn't enjoy them. Your grades come down to how hard you're going to work, and Computing + History A-Level are better/more open to options than combined english and BTEC ICT. If you want to do them, and are willing to work hard for the grade you want, it may well be very worth making the switch now! Good luck. ☺️
johnstones1111
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by FloralHybrid)
I don't see why you wouldn't enjoy them. Your grades come down to how hard you're going to work, and Computing + History A-Level are better/more open to options than combined english and BTEC ICT. If you want to do them, and are willing to work hard for the grade you want, it may well be very worth making the switch now! Good luck. ☺️
Cheers for that, I can easily make the switch to History it's just the switch to Computing that is the problem my college seems to be really tight with their GCSE grade requirements. I'll probably try though.
FloralHybrid
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Cheers for that, I can easily make the switch to History it's just the switch to Computing that is the problem my college seems to be really tight with their GCSE grade requirements. I'll probably try though.
It's worth asking. If they let you, great. If not, it's worth looking at alternatives.
sindyscape62
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm currently on the second week of college and I've started two A-levels in both English combined and Politics, as well as a BTEC subsidary diploma in ICT. I want to swap my ICT option to a A-level Computing class, does this sound look a good idea? My college keeps discouraging the idea as I only got a 5 in maths at GCSE level (low B / high C) and they were looking for a 6 in maths; I want to keep my options open as I do not know exactly what I want to do when I'm older I just want to make sure my options are open as I enjoyed computer science at school (got a B) and I wouldn't mind doing something with computers when I'm older. I was thinking of swapping English to History, I'm not sure if this is a good idea either? I'd like to get rid of the BTEC ICT course primarily as it is very boring and consists mainly of basic work, it doesn't seem that highly rated anyways.. Ideas? Also was wondering if you can get into decent universities for perhaps CS without an A-level in maths but just with the A-level in computing providing my overall A-level grades are good overall and meet UCAS tariffs?
You're probably not going to be able to get into a decent uni for computer science without an A level in maths (and decent unis don't use UCAS tariffs). Computer science degrees are generally very theoretical; they're not really about coding, instead they're about things like algorithms, data structures and proofs. If you struggle at maths it probably isn't for you, although remember computer science degrees aren't the only way to go into a computing job. There are courses which teach coding without the theoretical stuff, and coding is also something that's quite easy to self teach.

I'd argue that A level computing doesn't really open any options. I don't think any unis have it as a requirement because they think maths is more important, so you probably shouldn't do it unless you like it and are sure of getting a good grade in it.
priincee
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
main advice would be to make sure that you want to do this. and i mean make SURE that you want to do it. read the specifications of the course, look at any old exam papers (if the courses havent recently changed, which i know have happened with a few), look at what you will be studying, look at how youre graded, and most importantly look at what you can do with what you might get. and i dont mean just looking at what A*'s in the subjects will get you, look at what failing might get you. look at how resits work, bare in mind that if you do fail anything you will have to stay an extra year to redo it if youre allowed to.
i finished my A-LEVELS this year, currently in first week of uni. this means that i managed to do my A-LEVELS with the exams at the end of each year, which isnt how they work anymore as far as i know. you need to make sure that you know what you want to do, what you want out of the subjects, and if the subjects work in a way that works for you. if you see no future in your current subjects, and see everything that you want in your other subjects then make the change
the whole reason im telling you to be so diligent with this is that your school is being stubborn for a reason. if you swap to the subjects you want, take the subjects for two months, and then decide that its personally not working for you (either because its not what you expect, conflicts with the teacher or students, examinations arent structured in a way that youre used to/able to deal with) the school is not going to enjoy having you come to them again asking to switch again. youre going to be doing these subjects for the next two years, make sure youre going to be interested over that 2 year period instead of making a hasty decision right at the start and then regretting it again in a weeks time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (68)
27.42%
No - I have already returned home (27)
10.89%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (51)
20.56%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (26)
10.48%
No - I live at home during term anyway (76)
30.65%

Watched Threads