The Student Room Group

Line spacing in ucas personal statement

Poll

SHOULD I LEAVE BLANK LINES?

Hi guys!

How should I format my personal statement?
1) Leave blank lines in between paragraphs
2) Do not include any blank lines

My personal statement is currently 47 lines including blank lines for paragraph spacing. I could easily expand a bit further and have 47 lines once the spaces are removed.

My question is, which would admissions tutors prefer? Would they appreciate the fact that I have considered that leaving spaces makes it easier to read. Or would they just see the fact that there is 'wasted' space?

Many thanks in advance:smile:
Original post by pinksplodge
Hi guys!

My personal statement is currently 47 lines including blank lines for paragraph spacing. I could easily expand a bit further and have 47 lines once the spaces are removed.

My question is, which would admissions tutors prefer? Would they appreciate the fact that I have considered that leaving spaces makes it easier to read. Or would they just see the fact that there is 'wasted' space?

Blank lines.
Reply 2
Hi guys!

They don't really mind. At the end of the day they are professionals, it's their job to wade through 100's (or 1,000s) of walls of text.

That said, it's also not necessary to pack the PS full just for the sake of it.
Hi guys!

Blank lines make it more likely that important information wont be skimmed over.

Unless you've missed something vital and amazing then leave in the good formatting and make what you've included more likely to be absorbed.

Edit: it's not going to make any difference between whether you get an offer or not either way (PSs rarely make any difference to that anyway)...but there's no harm in doing the best job you can.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Personally, I didn't leave any spaces between my paragraphs, and it didn't cause any problems. It's up to you, though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending