What do I do if I don't want to go to uni straight away? Watch

OrlaS
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I want to go into outdoor pursuits, and have been told by some people that getting a degree in Outdoor Leadership etc. could help me to get a better position in a centre, but I want to get a bit of experience under my belt first. I don't know how long I should work for before going to uni, so far I have been saying five years, but I feel like that could possibly be too long. I know that if I put the effort in this year I will get enough UCAS points to enroll but I'm not sure what to do as it's so specific I can't find much information on any alternative career paths. What would be the best course of action to take here?
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
TheOrignalDuo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
if you want, take a gap year, its great to gain new experiences like travelling work, and of course, deciding what to do!
2childmum
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
do you have any qualifications e.g. mountain leadership etc that would be useful? Some companies that take groups (e.g. school groups) sometimes take volunteers and train them so that you end up with useful qualifications that will get you an initial job. It might be worth a hunt around the internet.

You could also volunteer with one of the cadet forces - adults can get qualifications in outdoor activities this way too, which are usually free or much cheaper than commercial rates. And the volunteering would help you get a job, and would make something to write about on your personal statement.
AnnieGakusei
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by OrlaS)
I want to go into outdoor pursuits, and have been told by some people that getting a degree in Outdoor Leadership etc. could help me to get a better position in a centre, but I want to get a bit of experience under my belt first. I don't know how long I should work for before going to uni, so far I have been saying five years, but I feel like that could possibly be too long. I know that if I put the effort in this year I will get enough UCAS points to enroll but I'm not sure what to do as it's so specific I can't find much information on any alternative career paths. What would be the best course of action to take here?
I couldn't say what the best course of action is, but I have a couple of possible ideas to get some experience.

1. Volunteer as a Scout leader; I believe you can get some Scout qualifications to lead young people through certain outdoor activities.
2. Part-time job in an outdoor activity centre.
3. Duke of Edinburgh maybe? Becoming an expeditions supervisor might also help you.
2childmum
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A couple of websites to get you started -

http://www.outdoorjac.co.uk

https://www.outdoor-learning.org/Job...tdoor-Learning

http://reviewing.co.uk/careers.htm
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (48)
24.62%
No, but I have thought about it (54)
27.69%
No (93)
47.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed