Kraepelin: manic-depressive insanity and paranoia Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Too many tragically ignorant people out there think depression's little more than a negative state of mind which affects weak people. The same people who aren't aware of the extensive historical background of true pathological depression and don't know its severe forms resemble schizophrenia.

Anyway, Kraepelin was a German psychiatrist who conceptualised severe mental illness/psychosis (including schizophrenia, bipolar, true melancholic depression) in a way that no one else could dream of. Problem his mainstream psychiatry's gone the completely wrong way and the classical descriptions are mostly unknown to the ignorant general public but here's his book on bipolar disorder.

https://archive.org/stream/manicdepr...ge/62/mode/1up

I just feel that people would never question the validity of genuine psychiatric depression if they read how it is in its greatest form. And hundreds of years ago, not even as a recent label.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
what?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
what?
No one would be ignorant about depression if they read Kraepelin. That's why I linked the article.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
No one would be ignorant about depression if they read Kraepelin. That's why I linked the article.
Oh. Ok. Well thanks. tbh I didn't read it. I didn't know why. I think so. maybe. I don't know
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (129)
17.97%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.17%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (123)
17.13%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (104)
14.48%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.75%
How can I be the best version of myself? (219)
30.5%

Watched Threads