Confused between doing A levels or foundation year.

Watch
Stormborn.00
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Iam a A level student my subjects were business studies,economics and my country language.
I gave business and economics and couldn’t pass them.
I can pass in both of them if i try harder and give them again in may/june 2018.
I scored a B in my country language.
Now i have sent my application for foundation course in 2 universities in Australia one is Newcastle and the other is University of Canberra and iam still waiting for it’s offer letter.

Now my main concern here is that iam confused that should i go for Foundation course of finish my Alevels?

I find A levels very hard its requires more technique to solve the paper then knowledge I think.
I fear I might fail again.

If i stay in my country i have all financial support from my parents for everything.
If i go to Australia i would still have financial support from my parents but I would have to earn just for my university fee.

Here in my home iam very relaxed and have all luxuries which distract me from studies and i waste my time and I become veryy lazy (reason why I failed 2 subjects of my Alevels).
I think there in Australia I would have this complete environment to study where I would have that pressure on me to know there that i have to earn and study not waste time.
Maybe pressure would make me work differently.

Now if anyone could answer these questions I would be greatfull:

1. Should I go for foundation or clear A levels?

2. Seeing my state at the moment what would you recommend would i be able to study with earning first time by myself?

3.Do you think university environment is better to study or a environment like my home?
You
4.what types jobs could help me come collect money for my university fee?
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Stormborn.00)
Iam a A level student my subjects were business studies,economics and my country language.
I can pass in both of them if i try harder and give them again in may/june 2018.
Now i have sent my application for foundation course in 2 universities in Australia one is Newcastle and the other is University of Canberra and iam still waiting for it’s offer letter.

Now my main concern here is that iam confused that should i go for Foundation course of finish my Alevels?

I find A levels very hard its requires more technique to solve the paper then knowledge I think.

If i stay in my country i have all financial support from my parents for everything.
If i go to Australia i would still have financial support from my parents but I would have to earn just for my university fee.

Here in my home iam very relaxed and have all luxuries which distract me from studies and i waste my time and I become veryy lazy (reason why I failed 2 subjects of my Alevels).
I think there in Australia I would have this complete environment to study where I would have that pressure on me to know there that i have to earn and study not waste time.

2. Seeing my state at the moment what would you recommend would i be able to study with earning first time by myself?

3.Do you think university environment is better to study or a environment like my home?
You
First off this is a UK forum so you may not get many responses here. I'm moving this to international study.

It really is up to you to motivate yourself to study. Whether or not you get offers will depend on the entry requirements and whether you meet them with your current qualifications. If not you will have to get the required grades and qualifications. Again what types of jobs you can get depends on where you are and your uni and careers service will be able to best advise and help you.
Stormborn.00
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by alleycat393)
First off this is a UK forum so you may not get many responses here. I'm moving this to international study.

It really is up to you to motivate yourself to study. Whether or not you get offers will depend on the entry requirements and whether you meet them with your current qualifications. If not you will have to get the required grades and qualifications. Again what types of jobs you can get depends on where you are and your uni and careers service will be able to best advise and help you.
You’re right i have to motivate myself.
Its so much difficult for me but I’ll keep trying.
I get all motivated for a time period then idk why i slow my progress and everything and come back to where I started.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

You
Reading your question carefully, I believe you have two separate issues:

1) How to motivate yourself to produce your best results.

2) Which type of course to study.

Motivation is something you have to discipline yourself to do. That's not easy if you know your financial future is secure because your parents provide for you. But nonetheless, it is something you must learn because, no matter how secure we may think we are, fate has a habit of changing everything - mostly for the worse at a time you least expect it.

Self motivation is a life-skill which employers value greatly. It is a skill you will need in abundance if you want to be your own boss and run your own business. It is a skill which is more important and valuable than any examination success will give you.

In other words, you cannot depend on anything other than yourself to give you that motivation. It's a huge reflection on your personal character so it's entirely up to yourself to develop that skill.

The second part of your question about what type of course to study will depend on whether you wish to stay flexible with your eventual choice of university course, or, if you have already chosen the type of career you would like to pursue.

A-levels are intended as a general education format to provide an indication of a students ability to perform in a range of careers and university courses. However, your choice of A-level subjects limits you somewhat to business and economics biased careers and degrees.

Beware that the best courses at good universities will have high expectations and will be oversubscribed, meaning competition for entry will be high. You will need excellent grades at A-level to get a place.

Foundation courses are intended for people who are already employed and who may not have the requisite qualifications, but can offer commercial and industrial experience in lieu. They are often taken up by mature students wishing to further their careers with an academic qualification aligned with their existing career, and thus give themselves flexibility to compete for promotions and more responsibility whilst often continuing to work at the same time.

Foundation courses will usually limit you to continued study at the same university if you wish to finally gain an honours degree. So beware, if you choose the foundation route, you are also likely to limit your choice of university regarding completion of the honours part.
Wired_1800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

You
Foundation course. Many foundation courses are structured for the degree you want to study at university. There is rarely need to study random subjects.

Two, the foundation course is not very hard because you are not trying to score abstract grades but rather trying to pass to get into the university after the foundation programme.

I am not a big fan of A' Levels because i feel recent years have ruined many, in my opinion, very good students.

It is up to you to decide, but make sure you know what you are going into. There are also many foundation options like Manchester, UCL, Bradford etc.

All the best
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (20)
9.13%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (132)
60.27%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (30)
13.7%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (32)
14.61%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (5)
2.28%

Watched Threads