Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i recieved my alevel results in august, and did quite bad
    C in english, d in geography and maths. i applied to queen mary through clearin, and am now doin a comp science with management course, which is the course i wanted to do anyways. Was this a wise choice, or shoudl i have resat my a2's? Im worried about wether im going to get employed in the future with these grades, and also i know theres been a slump in i.t, but im hopin that will change by the time i finish. Could some1 plz give me a bit of info on what to do. thanks alot

ReputationRep:
    said this before to somone else

an employer is going to be more impressed with a good degree and crap A levels than a bad degree and brilliant A levels.

Not all employer even look at A levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    said this before to somone else

an employer is going to be more impressed with a good degree and crap A levels than a bad degree and brilliant A levels.

Not all employer even look at A levels.

although most top firms do specify certain A-level requirement points.

ReputationRep:
    lol yea thats what im sayin, ive looked around and they normally say good alevels...im gna be wanting a job ova £20g, not some crap paid one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jay2428)
    lol yea thats what im sayin, ive looked around and they normally say good alevels...im gna be wanting a job ova £20g, not some crap paid one
    You have to wonder what they mean by good A-Levels - I doubt that that are really wanting BBB+. If you get a 2:1 or even a first than this will more than make up for your A-Levels.

ReputationRep:
    You could always take more A Levels at an adult education centre or on a distance learning program if it bothers you that much. But as has already been stated, "an employer is going to be more impressed with a good degree and crap A levels than a bad degree and brilliant A levels." (sashh)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wonkey)
    although most top firms do specify certain A-level requirement points.
    These grade requirements are negotiable, depending on your circumstances and if you get a first they don't ask about your A-levels anyway.

Number of major employers posting on this thread = 0. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jay2428)
    Hi, i recieved my alevel results in august, and did quite bad
    C in english, d in geography and maths.
    what did you get in your AS out of curiousity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    Number of major employers posting on this thread = 0. :rolleyes:
    Number of people who've been accepted onto graduate training programs with top employers with substandard A-Level results = at least 1. :rolleyes:

(Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Number of people who've been accepted onto graduate training programs with top employers with substandard A-Level results = at least 1. :rolleyes:
    Clearly this single experience has provided the graduate with t dehefinite perspective on the subject.

I wasn't trying to say that the what is being said is in any way incorrect, just that NOBODY posting here can claim to know a sufficiently correct answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    Clearly this single experience has provided the graduate with t dehefinite perspective on the subject.

I wasn't trying to say that the what is being said is in any way incorrect, just that NOBODY posting here can claim to know a sufficiently correct answer.
    Correct answer? I am giving my informed opinion, having applied to many of the top graduate employers and talked to many of their recruitment staff at so-called 'milk-rounds'. There are no hard and fast rules in recruiting and half the time you just have to be lucky. True, some companies will throw away your application without looking at it if you don't have the required UCAS points, but some are a bit more flexible. All of the representatives of the companies I spoke to said the A-level grades weren't even a consideration of applicants with first class degrees.

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.