The Student Room Group

Abstract reasoning help:

Screenshot_20170919-133334.jpg

Can someone explain the pattern, it doesn't make sense when I check the explanation.

Explanation:
Answer is D.
There are 2 black circles, each with an odd number of lines. There are 3 white circles each with an even number of lines.

Set a:
All corners are white circles. Even number of lines leave each white circle.

Set b:
Either 2 or 4 corners are black circles. Odd number of lines leave each black circle. Even number of lines leave each circle white.

Help:
Please give some tips on how to get better with abstract. I have done the 1250 ques. The patterns are so difficult and weird in the book. Especially on the questions type 3 and 2 ques in the book are really hard :/
Please help and if you have any other tips for other sections. It would be really appreciated:biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

There are no black circles! Have you posted the right page and explanation????
oh I see you mean those little circles where the lines meet? In that case yes I do get the explanation but it doesnt jump out at you!
Im sorry but i don't understand whats difficult here. The explanation of the answer and their description of the pattern is correct
Original post by HeadHoncho
Im sorry but i don't understand whats difficult here. The explanation of the answer and their description of the pattern is correct

Could you explain it because I don't get it
Original post by redhelen
There are no black circles! Have you posted the right page and explanation????

Yeah but I don't get the explanation either. I don't get what it means by the even/odd number of lines
Original post by redhelen
oh I see you mean those little circles where the lines meet? In that case yes I do get the explanation but it doesnt jump out at you!

Please explain it. I still don't get it :/

Oh I get it now. When the answer says "leave" it means that the circles create lines. And black ones create odd number of them etc... argh I get it :biggrin:
Original post by shohaib712
Oh I get it now. When the answer says "leave" it means that the circles create lines. And black ones create odd number of them etc... argh I get it :biggrin:

YEah, so the lines basically 'evolve from' the circles, youll be fine in the exam just stay calm 🙂
YEah, so the lines basically 'evolve from' the circles, youll be fine in the exam just stay calm 🙂

Thanks man! I'm cramming it within 2 days :/ it's cuz I left registration till late. Only date available was the 22nd. TBH if I don't get 650, I'll just reapply next year. At least then I can focus on my alevel grades and gain even more work experience this year. I have finished AR today (I got 2 days left to revise). I'm hoping to finish the book tomorrow and complete 1 mock and some medify ques on the areas I'm stuck on. And on Thursday I'll just spend the day completing the rest of the mocks/medify. I probably will fail though, I already paid to do the exam, so I might as well take it and at least it will give me some experience of what it's like doing the real thing, for next year. :biggrin:
Thanks man! I'm cramming it within 2 days :/ it's cuz I left registration till late. Only date available was the 22nd. TBH if I don't get 650, I'll just reapply next year. At least then I can focus on my alevel grades and gain even more work experience this year. I have finished AR today (I got 2 days left to revise). I'm hoping to finish the book tomorrow and complete 1 mock and some medify ques on the areas I'm stuck on. And on Thursday I'll just spend the day completing the rest of the mocks/medify. I probably will fail though, I already paid to do the exam, so I might as well take it and at least it will give me some experience of what it's like doing the real thing, for next year. :biggrin:

Lol im reapplying (for some silly reason) and ive got it on friday too so im cramming aha. Tbh if you have good extracurriculars or gcses then bristol and cardiff could be options, also perhaps the bmat as you dont have to do amazingly to get a decent score. Definitely apply this year, the only way you guarantee no offers is by not applying
Lol im reapplying (for some silly reason) and ive got it on friday too so im cramming aha. Tbh if you have good extracurriculars or gcses then bristol and cardiff could be options, also perhaps the bmat as you dont have to do amazingly to get a decent score. Definitely apply this year, the only way you guarantee no offers is by not applying

Lol what time is your exam? Mines at 9.00am. Gonna grind in 20 mins. I probably won't do the bmat (not interested in applying to those unis)
Lol what time is your exam? Mines at 9.00am. Gonna grind in 20 mins. I probably won't do the bmat (not interested in applying to those unis)

Mines at 9 too aha, ill still be half asleep
I don't understand your explanation for why they says it's D but , then, I don't need to, as 'B, C and D' is a valid answer too/instead:

All of the shapes in set B contain some black dots.

None of the shapes in set A contain some black dots.

So shapes B, C, and D which all contain black dots all belong in set B is a valid answer. (and, of course, there can be many valid answers as long as the explanation is given).

(Originally I thought that all the shapes in set B contain black dots connected to at least one other black dot by a THICK black straight line,which would have made just shape C my answer,
but I think that are few of them fooled my eye and some black dots are only connected by slightly greyer lines).
(edited 6 years ago)
Mines at 9 too aha, ill still be half asleep

Could you explain q4.4 in qr of the 1250 book please? I don't get why you divide 125000 by 1.02
So the budget is 250000, we can assume she'd uses up 125000 for the lower tax bracket therefore has 125000 of budget to play with in the 2% tax bracket. If we take the value of her house (that is above 125000) and call it x, we realise that she'll have to pay x + 2% of x, so x+ 0.02x=125000. Then just solve for x, add 125000 and thats the house price she can but with that budget
@shohaib712
(edited 6 years ago)
So the budget is 250000, we can assume she'd uses up 125000 for the lower tax bracket therefore has 125000 of budget to play with in the 2% tax bracket. If we take the value of her house (that is above 125000) and call it x, we realise that she'll have to pay x + 2% of x, so x+ 0.02x=125000. Then just solve for x, add 125000 and thats the house price she can but with that budget
@shohaib712

I see so you factorise it to gain 1.02x. Essentially the 125000 is the total of the tax percentage and rest of the house money combined? Thank you so much for the help!!! :biggrin:
@shohaib712

@Headhoncho
Do you have any tips for DM? (my worst section, I find the probability questions so hard. The venn diagrams/sylogisms are fine thoough :biggrin:)
@Headhoncho
Do you have any tips for DM? (my worst section, I find the probability questions so hard. The venn diagrams/sylogisms are fine thoough :biggrin:)

Aha, its my second best section, VR easily my worst. With probability just pay very very close attention to the wording of the question
Aha, its my second best section, VR easily my worst. With probability just pay very very close attention to the wording of the question

Based on my performance in the mock, im screwed lol. didnt finish any section and gave up when I got to QR. Vr is too hard. (I tried skim reading beforehand considering the keyword approch isnt working for me :/ ). Probably going to be guessing like 70% of the questions. Well at least i can get a feel for how the exam goes, when im retaking next year. What did you get last year? (How long have you been revising for the exam?) Good luck for tomorrow :biggrin: you got this! I would be amazed if I somehow pull a 600 by guessing lol

Quick Reply

Latest