Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you make good friends at university? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    so i recently started uni and am in my freshers week and I'm just stressing out on whether I'm going to make good friends or not like my flatmates are really nice but we don't really have much in common or click and i don't see them being my friendship group or close friends therefore I'm worrying a bit as i know most peoples close friends/ friendship group end up being they're flatmates at uni, so i was wondering how else i can make friends and get a friendship group as i really don't want to not have any proper friends for the rest of my time at university and am just feeling a little lost at the moment

ReputationRep:
    I dunno, I failed at that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbundyc)
    so i recently started uni and am in my freshers week and I'm just stressing out on whether I'm going to make good friends or not like my flatmates are really nice but we don't really have much in common or click and i don't see them being my friendship group or close friends therefore I'm worrying a bit as i know most peoples close friends/ friendship group end up being they're flatmates at uni, so i was wondering how else i can make friends and get a friendship group as i really don't want to not have any proper friends for the rest of my time at university and am just feeling a little lost at the moment
    Interact with people.
    lol.

ReputationRep:
    Join societies that way you can meet people with similar interests

ReputationRep:
    When you start your course you'll find lots of new people that share at least one common interest with you! It's still such early days, some people don't find their proper friends until second semester or even second year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbundyc)
    First things first, chill, don't force these things. The general rule of freshers week is that you join a load of societies and talk to everyone, then as the semester goes on the friendship groups form.

The group of people I was hanging around with during my freshers week are not the people I still hang out with now that I've graduated. The only exception is my first year roommate who became my best friend but that wasn't all that common, most people split off later in the semester.

(Original post by marnalarn)
    When you start your course you'll find lots of new people that share at least one common interest with you! It's still such early days, some people don't find their proper friends until second semester or even second year.
    Depends on your course, yourself and the people you study with. I've failed to make friends on mine (I'm going into second year).

That said I am an anxious wreck.

ReputationRep:
    Relax. I am sure you will eventually find good friends. You can try joining societies and volunteering works.

ReputationRep:
    Have patience!!! good friendships aren't formed in the first week. Speak to people on your course, join societies, go to events. You'll make lots of friends I'm sure

ReputationRep:
    I wish there was a BA for Friend Studies...

i dunno, i failed at it. it's my final year without proper friends. a lot of acquaintance, but nobody that i can call friend. meanwhile i can hear people having sex next door everynow and then. i hate them so much i feel worthless, sad and jealous.

ReputationRep:
    Im also entering my second year - i go to dmu and i havent got any friends: i failed at making friends in my first year with my: flatmates, classmates, and in general friends (who turned out to be dicks), i never tried societies cuz i was too afraid so as you can guess my ego (whatever is left of it) took a huge blow since my first year was just all out depressing. This year im hoping to make friends by joining societies and hoping that they turn out to be good ones

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.