The Student Room Group

Living costs

Hi, my husband currently works full time (in a low paid job) and I am a stay at home mum/part time student. I receive no financial assistance as I already hold an honours degree.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by mookieblaylock
Hi, my husband currently works full time (in a low paid job) and I am a stay at home mum/part time student. I receive no financial assistance as I already hold an honours degree.
My hustand is desperate to go to uni and hand in his notice at work. But we are worried whether we would be able to manage financially. The original plan was to wait till I return to work once I've finished my studies (I have 2 years left), but I'm curious as to whether my husband could make the leep for next September. We have three children under 16. Where can I find out how much loan/grant we could apply for? Part of me thinks we are being unresponsible us both being students with three children, but then part of me wonders if it is 'doable'?
TIA for any advice

Maintenance grants don't exist any more for English students. If he doesn't have a degree, he'll be entitled to full tuition fees and a maintenance loan of roughly £8430. (bit higher for 2018 students) He may get things like parents learning allowance and depending on your income, adults dependants grant.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Maintenance grants don't exist any more for English students. If he doesn't have a degree, he'll be entitled to full tuition fees and a maintenance loan of roughly £8430. (bit higher for 2018 students) He may get things like parents learning allowance and depending on your income, adults dependants grant.

Thank you! Where can I find out exactly what we would be able to apply for? Any ideas?
Hi mookieblaylock

For further information for extra support you can visit the Student Finance England.Gov site.

Student Finance England.Gov-http://bit.ly/29AsWKv

Thanks Miriam

Quick Reply

Latest