The Student Room Group

What a level course should you choose for pharmacy at university?

Right now in AS level i am doing maths, chemistry, physics and art. I am thinking about dropping art in A2, but are the subjects that i have now useful for pharmacy in university? What is the actual uni course called for pharmacy as i cant find a proper course in many universities. Also what would you learn in pharmacy at university and what would you do once you get a job for it?
Reply 1
Master of pharmacy (MPharm). You will need to do a lot of maths calculations and chemistry, this is what I have heard from my friends.
Chemistry and Biology are the two most relevant A-levels to doing an MPharm. You absolutely will need Chemistry.

You do some Maths, but I'd say it is below A-level in difficulty. So Maths is useful to have, but not critical.

Physics, while less useful to doing an MPharm, is considered a "hard science", so Unis will look at a good grade in it favourably.

Art is very unlikely to be relevant to Pharmacy.

That said, having Chemistry + Physics/Maths will be adequate for most schools, so you could get away with keeping art. Bear in mind though that some schools will require Chemistry + two sciences (e.g. Manchester -
http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2017/01695/mpharm-pharmacy/entry-requirements/#course-profile
), so keeping art will still close off options.

Actually, in terms of keeping your options open in general, you should probably drop art. Unless you have your heart set on doing an artistic course, Chemistry + Maths + Physics will keep the doors on many science courses open to you - not just Pharmacy. It's a really great combination.

Or you could do what I did and keep the art subject as an extra A-level, that way, it won't matter so much.
Defo chemistry is needed, i did chemistry,biology and business and got into DMU for pharmacy. And jobs for pharmacists obv will be a pharmacist, either in industry, hospital or community. You could also do any finance job, will be a bit harder to get into, but pharmacy provides you with key skills such as analytical skills for that job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending