The Student Room Group

Law

I wasnt bothered in my A levels and got pretty poor results (BCC). I did Law at Westminster and got First Class Honours and I have received 4 awards during my time in the law school.

I am applying for Masters for LSE and they ask for your CV. Should i include my A Level grades in my CV or just state what subjects I did ?
Original post by lalashahid531
I wasnt bothered in my A levels and got pretty poor results (BCC). I did Law at Westminster and got First Class Honours and I have received 4 awards during my time in the law school.

I am applying for Masters for LSE and they ask for your CV. Should i include my A Level grades in my CV or just state what subjects I did ?

If I were you I would just state the subjects you took and not list the grades as well. However even if you were to list the grades, I don't think it would make a huge impact anyway as they will focus more on your degree class than school grades from years ago.

There is no need to include your A-Level grades. I never when I applied to mine, although mine isn't LSE.

That being said, LSE LLM is one of the few LLMs which are rather to difficult to get accepted on to. The other being Cambridge and the Oxford BCL. All the other unis will pretty much accept you with a decent 2:1. So don't get your hopes up too much and consider UCL and KCL.
thank you guys, one question...I am taking a year out...I was a really smart student I had 3A's in my AS....and now i have an opportunity and time to go back and re do my A2 modules again? will it help me in the long run for lets say if i want to get into magic circle firms?
thank you guys, one question...I am taking a year out...I was a really smart student I had 3A's in my AS....and now i have an opportunity and time to go back and re do my A2 modules again? will it help me in the long run for lets say if i want to get into magic circle firms?

Some firms with high A-Level requirements might give you a pass, some firms don't have requirements. Just how high was your first, by the way?
Original post by J-SP
No - most firms will only consider your first sitting anyway.

Would any top firms waive it for exceptional performance on LLB and a place on a competitive LLM?
Can a person with my academics secure a pupillage ? in your experience has anyone from a low ranked uni and not so great a levels succeded whether as a solicitor or barrister
What made them stand out ? and secondly, What should I do now....as I currently took a gap year to strengthen my CV in terms of work experience. It feels disheartening that my ability as a 17-year-old in A levels is of signifcant importance rather than what I am achieving now
Original post by J-SP
Not if they have a strict UCAS/A-level requirement - but many firms actually don't have a "strict" requirement. Any organisation that does tends to focus on it being across full three A-levels taken in the same year for fairness.

Easy way to check us how firms describe their requirements: "we typically look for" or "successful candidates usually" is very different to "you must have achieved".

Resits can show some determination to succeed, but generally I don't advise retaking them especially for those who have gone on to do well in their degree/PG study.

Are firms less likely to discriminate against poor A-Levels if you're applying for a TC in-house from paralegal?

I ask only as OP is seeming to be in a panic and rushing to the barrister route now.

Quick Reply