The Student Room Group

Do I tell my (recent) ex boyfriend that I'm terminating my pregnancy???

We were together just under a year, and broke up officially 2 weeks ago. I found out that i am pregnant despite using contraception and there is no way I can keep it. I'm not emotionally, socially or financially ready, I don't want a lecture about not getting an abortion.

my problem is me and my ex are no longer together, he is at uni and I have unfollowed/deleted his social media and avoided talking to him lately. i don't want to shock and upset him especially since he is at uni perhaps being stressed/just trying to get over us and meeting others, and since i would have to tell him over the phone?

should I wait until he comes back in a couple of months? Or not tell him at all??

thank you :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anybody? pls
If you're 100% certain you're terminating the pregnancy then don't tell him. It'll only upset him either way, and could get very messy if he disagrees with the decision and you're not going to change your mind.
Hey, I think my opinion would be slightly controversial but as you're no longer together or even in contact, I wouldn't tell him. If he can't give you emotional support and ultimately you have the final decision and seeing as you've made that decision (which is a difficult one but it sounds like the right one for you) then what would be the point in telling him?
The only way such information could come across would be as some kind of revenge information. I agree with others, don't tell him. There's no way of sharing that information in a way that could do anything positive.
TBH I agree with not telling him. It will 100% remove all possibility of getting back together as then you'd have to confess and he'd be upset you didn't discuss it with him (even if he agreed with you) - so be very sure that there is no chance of you two patching things up before you decide. But if you won't get back together and he's not going to be there supporting you through it I really don't see any reason to tell him. Best case scenario he says 'OK' and nothing further happens, nothing's better in your life for it. Worst case scenario he disagrees and is really upset and also makes you feel much worse about your decision as a result.
As a guy, I think you should tell him. He deserves to know, even if you are terminating it. For all you know, he'd agree to take the child off your hands, and even if you're adamant on terminating it, he still deserves to know.

If that happened to me, I'd never be able to forgive someone for doing that without my consent. But that's me. You make your own decisions.

Edit: And if you decide to tell him, don't wait. Just tell him. Over the phone if you have to. If you wait too long, it may not be possible to terminate it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by thedevotchka
If you're 100% certain you're terminating the pregnancy then don't tell him. It'll only upset him either way, and could get very messy if he disagrees with the decision and you're not going to change your mind.

Original post by marnalarn
Hey, I think my opinion would be slightly controversial but as you're no longer together or even in contact, I wouldn't tell him. If he can't give you emotional support and ultimately you have the final decision and seeing as you've made that decision (which is a difficult one but it sounds like the right one for you) then what would be the point in telling him?

Original post by Crumpet1
The only way such information could come across would be as some kind of revenge information. I agree with others, don't tell him. There's no way of sharing that information in a way that could do anything positive.

Original post by doodle_333
TBH I agree with not telling him. It will 100% remove all possibility of getting back together as then you'd have to confess and he'd be upset you didn't discuss it with him (even if he agreed with you) - so be very sure that there is no chance of you two patching things up before you decide. But if you won't get back together and he's not going to be there supporting you through it I really don't see any reason to tell him. Best case scenario he says 'OK' and nothing further happens, nothing's better in your life for it. Worst case scenario he disagrees and is really upset and also makes you feel much worse about your decision as a result.

Original post by unimatrix79
We were together just under a year, and broke up officially 2 weeks ago. I found out that i am pregnant despite using contraception and there is no way I can keep it. I'm not emotionally, socially or financially ready, I don't want a lecture about not getting an abortion.

my problem is me and my ex are no longer together, he is at uni and I have unfollowed/deleted his social media and avoided talking to him lately. i don't want to shock and upset him especially since he is at uni perhaps being stressed/just trying to get over us and meeting others, and since i would have to tell him over the phone?

should I wait until he comes back in a couple of months? Or not tell him at all??

thank you :frown:

I've never read more disgusting comments in my life.

Every man has a right to know that his child is about to be terminated.
Don't forget the fact that OP will have the guilt of taking that away from someone forever. It's not a thing that people should do by themselves. You may not see eye to eye but the child is yours as much as it is his.
Reply 9
Original post by Light Lobotomy
Don't forget the fact that OP will have the guilt of taking that away from someone forever. It's not a thing that people should do by themselves. You may not see eye to eye but the child is yours as much as it is his.

I actually read another thread and noticed 90% of the males said they would want to know. I thought it might be different since he is my ex but that's how I see it as well, it is both of our creations. I highly doubt he would want me to keep it, we have spoken about it briefly before and I said if I did get pregnant I would probably get an abortion.

The main reasons I want to tell him is that I can't tell anybody else, not family or friends, for some reason I just want one person to know what I'm going through. and that it's his. but if I have already made a decision and he agrees I wonder if it might just upset him and he could just be like '...okay why the hell did you tell me that' and I won't even have an answer really !? just 'I didn't know if you'd want to know'
Original post by Cubone-r

if we had already made it clear we both didn't want a child and are both pro-choice and had discussed abortion, would this change things? Since he would (99%) agree with my decision and wouldn't want the responsibility so the only use is just giving him the knowledge that I did it, not that he would want to discuss it or change my mind or think about the future child and the fact he could have raised a child with me. I'm worried he might just be confused or even angry since we aren't together and it's just something i'm doing on my own. I'm having trouble articulating my point but I hope you get what I mean, lol
you have to tell him lol
I actually read another thread and noticed 90% of the males said they would want to know. I thought it might be different since he is my ex but that's how I see it as well, it is both of our creations. I highly doubt he would want me to keep it, we have spoken about it briefly before and I said if I did get pregnant I would probably get an abortion.

The main reasons I want to tell him is that I can't tell anybody else, not family or friends, for some reason I just want one person to know what I'm going through. and that it's his. but if I have already made a decision and he agrees I wonder if it might just upset him and he could just be like '...okay why the hell did you tell me that' and I won't even have an answer really !? just 'I didn't know if you'd want to know'

If he asks why you told him that then you tell him that you thought at the very least, he deserves to know he had a child and it is going to be aborted. You're not trying to burden him, but it's his child as much as it is yours. You should both deal with it together.
Original post by Light Lobotomy
If he asks why you told him that then you tell him that you thought at the very least, he deserves to know he had a child and it is going to be aborted. You're not trying to burden him, but it's his child as much as it is yours. You should both deal with it together.

I suppose, I'm scared I will regret it and the fact that someone knows will increase my guilt because he might not understand my personal situation or reasons, he is very pro choice but maybe if he is actually involved in it he might think differently. Also if he told anyone I don't think I could deal with that.
Original post by Competence
you have to tell him lol

why do you say that?
why do you say that?

as a guy, i would be so mad if you didnt tell me and got an abortion it is your decision but he has a right to know
Original post by Competence
as a guy, i would be so mad if you didnt tell me and got an abortion it is your decision but he has a right to know

okay thank you, I'm just worried the one person I decide to tell might not support me completely because that's what I need, or I will be anxious around him from then on or worry that others know.

I am leaning 60% towards telling him
Original post by Cubone-r

Not really. There's no such right.

OP, if you've broken up with him and won't ever interact with him again then there's no point in telling him.
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Not really. There's no such right.

OP, if you've broken up with him and won't ever interact with him again then there's no point in telling him.

Oh sorry I didn't make it clear, I will eventually interact with him because he is part of my friendship group, I have just avoided talking to/texting him one on one and won't see him for a while, although i'm still getting used to the fact he isn't necessarily part of my life
I suppose, I'm scared I will regret it and the fact that someone knows will increase my guilt because he might not understand my personal situation or reasons, he is very pro choice but maybe if he is actually involved in it he might think differently. Also if he told anyone I don't think I could deal with that.

He could feel the same way as you. He might not. Either way, if you don't tell him and terminate the child on your own then that's on you for the rest of your life. Either tell him and live with the guilt of him not agreeing or don't tell him and live with the guilt of killing someone else's child without even telling them.

It's up to you, but he has a right to know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending