Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

advice/personal stories please?? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ok so I'm 17 and currently have a problem "down below" I made an appointment to see a female GP today but after telling my sister I was still in large discomfort and the only available appointment with the female GP was Monday, she made me an emergency appointment with another doctor, this doctor is male, though and I feel slightly worried about possibly having to have an examination of some form. any advice?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freyja M)
    ok so I'm 17 and currently have a problem "down below" I made an appointment to see a female GP today but after telling my sister I was still in large discomfort and the only available appointment with the female GP was Monday, she made me an emergency appointment with another doctor, this doctor is male, though and I feel slightly worried about possibly having to have an examination of some form. any advice?
    You can ask to have a female present.

ReputationRep:
    You should explain how you feel when you get to your appointment, he'll understand and will be able to reassure you. Talking about how you feel with doctors is really important and will help them to take better care of you, so don't worry about offending them because you both have the same common interest (your health). There will also be female nurses and stuff around, so if you give consent one might be allowed to sit in the room and hold your hand through the process.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    You can ask to have a female present.
    my sister will be accompanying me but I'm nervous about possibly having to show anything to a male doctor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crocodile_ears)
    You should explain how you feel when you get to your appointment, he'll understand and will be able to reassure you. Talking about how you feel with doctors is really important and will help them to take better care of you, so don't worry about offending them because you both have the same common interest (your health). There will also be female nurses and stuff around, so if you give consent one might be allowed to sit in the room and hold your hand through the process.
    thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    At my GP surgery you can call up to change the doctor.

ReputationRep:
    So sorry if you've already done this but have you tried researching on the NHS website with your symptoms - loads of issues that girls commonly get are solveable with stuff easily available in the pharmacy. It may be worth doing this if you haven't already- you may be able to aleviate the issues long enough until you can see a female GP. It may even be worth ringing up a local pharmancy, asking to speak to a female pharmacist and explaining your issue and seeing if there's anything they can give you.

With regards to having a male GP ofcourse it may be very uncomfortable for you but doctors- especially GPs- treat such a wide range of people/ conditions that they're really unphased by issues and only view you in a strictly professional manner. It's highly likely that he's seen someone with your condition before and if not has dealt with very similar and possibly more 'embaressing' things- not that doctors think in this way. Really it's absolutely nothing to worry about.

Hope you get it sorted !
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    First off, you can ask for a female chaperone (or a family member/ friend) to be with you if that would make you more comfortable. Just ask if he can bring a nurse in if it does come to needing an exam.
    Now for some personal experience. I had to see a gyno at one point for potential issues down there. He was male. He discussed the issues with me, examined me internally and gave me surgery. All in all he covered a lot of ground. He was totally professional the entire time and if anything more gentle and understanding than females I've had examine me.
    You have absolutely nothing to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    First off, you can ask for a female chaperone (or a family member/ friend) to be with you if that would make you more comfortable. Just ask if he can bring a nurse in if it does come to needing an exam.
    Now for some personal experience. I had to see a gyno at one point for potential issues down there. He was male. He discussed the issues with me, examined me internally and gave me surgery. All in all he covered a lot of ground. He was totally professional the entire time and if anything more gentle and understanding than females I've had examine me.
    You have absolutely nothing to worry about.
    thank you so much

ReputationRep:
    thank you everyone, it went really well and is all sorted now😊

ReputationRep:
    thank you everyone, it went really well and is all sorted now😊
    GOod news

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 4, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.