Worth taking an a level in a language I already know?

Watch
username3525694
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So school told me I could do a level German as my fourth a level . The thing is that I was born in Germany and grew up there until I was about 11 then moved to the UK. I can speak German and understand it to a certain extent when it comes to fancy vocabulary and things like connectives im terrible . I do not know any of the grammar or anything like that since it has been 6-7 years I stopped writting in German. So should I take it ? Or is it just a waste of time ?
Silemarine
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Eh depends if you are aiming for a fancy university. If you are, you should probably take it. You will pick up the grammar faster than other people and universities like if you can speak a wide variety of languages. If your not, it is just extra stress for a fancier A Level results sheet.
bulgylau
Badges: 21
Report 4 years ago
well you want to be a doctor? I don't think many unis will look at ur application any differently if you had an extra a level compared to those that only had 3.

plus ur fluency in German may mean that the course isn't a walk in the park, so id say don't do it and stick to three. but keep up the German somehow, even at home, cos deffo the world of work likes bilinguals
username3434964
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Try it and if you don't like it drop it?
username2393237
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
If you think you can cope with 4 A-levels, then do it. What was your German GCSE result?
username3525694
Rep:
(Original post by homeland.lsw)
well you want to be a doctor? I don't think many unis will look at ur application any differently if you had an extra a level compared to those that only had 3.

plus ur fluency in German may mean that the course isn't a walk in the park, so id say don't do it and stick to three. but keep up the German somehow, even at home, cos deffo the world of work likes bilinguals
thank you.
username3525694
Rep:
(Original post by YaliaV)
If you think you can cope with 4 A-levels, then do it. What was your German GCSE result?
An A*
username3525694
Rep:
(Original post by cc85734)
Try it and if you don't like it drop it?
I was thinking of doing it for AS
wallflower ~
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I am doing french for A Level despite being half-french and fluent in it. It means I can concentrate on my other A Level a lot more and still know I will end up with atleast one A. I recommend you do it because it could be really useful for uni's to know what level you are at rather than you just saying you are fluent in German. Also, you learn a lot grammar wise and stuff so it just depends if you think uni's will appreciate you doing it (it can give an edge to a candidate).
thegalaxy
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by wallflower ~)
I am doing french for A Level despite being half-french and fluent in it. It means I can concentrate on my other A Level a lot more and still know I will end up with atleast one A. I recommend you do it because it could be really useful for uni's to know what level you are at rather than you just saying you are fluent in German. Also, you learn a lot grammar wise and stuff so it just depends if you think uni's will appreciate you doing it (it can give an edge to a candidate).
you think just because you're fluent in french means you're definitely gonna get an A?

Also, some unis are picky and don't accept an A level if you're already fluent in it as one of your main three.
wallflower ~
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by thegalaxy)
you think just because you're fluent in french means you're definitely gonna get an A?

Also, some unis are picky and don't accept an A level if you're already fluent in it as one of your main three.
Well I just got an A at AS lol so yeah..
I can understand that if they are native however I never lived in France and I'm not the best in terms of grammar or translation so I still can improve.
I do understand where you're coming from though! This article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...el-French.html
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (67)
33.5%
Yes - a trusted person (54)
27%
No (52)
26%
I'm not sure (27)
13.5%

Watched Threads