GreatnessInSpace
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I was thinking of swapping one of my A-Levels for photography, can anyone in year 13 or who's completed the course tell me what it's like? I didn't do any of the arts for GCSE, will this be a downfall? The exam board is AQA btw. Thanks
OceanCat
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Photography would be a good option but you have to do more work than you would at art GCSE which is a lot of work. It requires a lot of time. If you're passiobate about it, you will enjoy it. However, it is worth considering whether you will be able to balance the liad with your other A levels aswell.
As far as I am aware, it won't be a downfall but the amount of time you need could be a shock.

(Original post by GreatnessInSpace)
I was thinking of swapping one of my A-Levels for photography, can anyone in year 13 or who's completed the course tell me what it's like? I didn't do any of the arts for GCSE, will this be a downfall? The exam board is AQA btw. Thanks
tea hee
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I did AQA photography A level, I absolutely loved it but because there's no written exam at the end of the year, there is an incredible amount of coursework. I learnt so much from this course - I don't know if where you're planning on doing it has a darkroom, but this was one of my favourite parts of the course.

Not doing art at GCSE is absolutely fine, in a way they are not massively related.

In the course there are lots of individual projects that the school will pick for you and you have to go and investigate them, then come up with a final piece. At the end of year 12 I had a 5 hour exam where I had to create a final piece, and at the end of year 13 it was either 10 or 15 hours (I can't quite remember!)

I think it would be important that photography is something you already enjoy, otherwise the course could drag on a bit and it might start to get frustrating as a lot of spare time is taken up by doing photography work.

Overall I am so pleased I took photography, I am able to appreciate famous photographers a lot more now and understanding the concept of photography has helped me to appreciate the meanings behind photography - for example, when I see a photograph now, it's not just a pretty picture, there are so many reasons as to why it was taken, what it represents, what is trying to be portrayed, etc.

The majority of my work had to be laid out on A1 mountboard, so be prepared to buy a LOT of this if that's the method your school uses!

If you have any more questions feel free to message me. Hopefully this helps!
danijohn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hey how did this turn out
jbrdodd
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's an easy A Level if you put a lot of work into it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (45)
17.24%
No one else does (82)
31.42%
I'm embarrassed about my background (28)
10.73%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (88)
33.72%
We don't use a video platform (5)
1.92%
I don't have a camera (7)
2.68%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
2.3%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed