username2896810
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi i wanted to begin self studying a level maths this year as soon as possible and want to take exams and be done with it next year, I was wondering which specification i should study off one of the new linear programmes or the older ones, as i want to be finnish by next summer and the new linear prgrammes have their first AS exams next year so i assume there will be no A level exams for it, was wondering if it is possible to take AS and A level exams for the older course next year and if they will be available for next summer ( Wouldnt be able to do exams in january) Thank you
username2896810
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
also whcih exam board would you guys reccomend
StudyJosh
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'd recommend Edexcel. Also, the new linear specs have A Levels exams in 2018 as well.
Parabrad
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by finorin0)
Hi i wanted to begin self studying a level maths this year as soon as possible and want to take exams and be done with it next year, I was wondering which specification i should study off one of the new linear programmes or the older ones, as i want to be finnish by next summer and the new linear prgrammes have their first AS exams next year so i assume there will be no A level exams for it, was wondering if it is possible to take AS and A level exams for the older course next year and if they will be available for next summer ( Wouldnt be able to do exams in january) Thank you
also whcih exam board would you guys reccomend
The last exams for the old spec is indeed next year (Summer 2018). If you want to get the whole A level completed by next year, you'll have to go with the old spec. I suggest AQA and perhaps study via distance learning, if you can afford to.
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As studyjosh has already said you can choose either the old modular specification or the new linear specification as both will be examined as full A levels in summer 2018.
When considering your decision you need to think about
- finding an exam centre to take the exams, not every centre will offer both options.
- how you will do exam practice for a new, never seen before specification with limited practice resources compared to the wealth of past papers for the old one.
- the cost and practical issues of attending 6 exams (modular) versus 3 exams (new linear).

There is not much to choose between examiners but don't do OCR-MEI in the old specification as C3 has a coursework element that will be hard to complete privately. If you choose the new linear option, they all cover exactly the same content. Historically, more people do Edexcel than any other.

If you are doing the new specification, get the right calculator.
Parabrad
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by gdunne42)
As studyjosh has already said you can choose either the old modular specification or the new linear specification as both will be examined as full A levels in summer 2018.
When considering your decision you need to think about
- finding an exam centre to take the exams, not every centre will offer both options.
- how you will do exam practice for a new, never seen before specification with limited practice resources compared to the wealth of past papers for the old one.
- the cost and practical issues of attending 6 exams (modular) versus 3 exams (new linear).

There is not much to choose between examiners but don't do OCR-MEI in the old specification as C3 has a coursework element that will be hard to complete privately. If you choose the new linear option, they all cover exactly the same content. Historically, more people do Edexcel than any other.

If you are doing the new specification, get the right calculator.
Only the new spec AS exams are to be sat next summer, with the new spec A2/full A level exams to be first sat in Summer 2019, no?

The OP has already made it clear they wish to do the full A level preferably in next years exam window - taking the new spec would mean this would not be possible.

As I've mentioned, it's clear taking the old spec is the wiser option here, considering the OP's needs, there's no question about it.
gdunne42
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 8radley)
Only the new spec AS exams are to be sat next summer, with the new spec A2/full A level exams to be first sat in Summer 2019, no?

The OP has already made it clear they wish to do the full A level preferably in next years exam window - taking the new spec would mean this would not be possible.

As I've mentioned, it's clear taking the old spec is the wiser option here, considering the OP's needs, there's no question about it.
No

New spec AS and full A level maths and new spec AS further maths are all available in summer 2018.
Only full A level Further Maths has to wait until summer 2019.
The exam dates are already shown in exam timetables on examiner web sites.
Parabrad
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by gdunne42)
No

New spec AS and full A level maths and new spec AS further maths are all available in summer 2018.
Only full A level Further Maths has to wait until summer 2019.
The exam dates are already shown in exam timetables on examiner web sites.
Mhm, apologies, my bad. I was going by what the .gov site said. https://www.gov.uk/government/public...a-level-reform

I would of assumed the year of issuing results would come under the same year of the exams being sat.
gdunne42
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 8radley)
Mhm, apologies, my bad. I was going by what the .gov site said. https://www.gov.uk/government/public...a-level-reform

I would of assumed the year of issuing results would come under the same year of the exams being sat.
Maths is slightly different to other subjects in that many students take 2 A levels in it, maths and further maths. To match the different teaching and assessment strategies for covering 2 A levels the first sitting of the new maths A level is in summer 2018. Most students who just do maths will do exams in 2019. Some of the students who also do further maths will do maths in 2018 and further maths in 2019, some will do both in 2019.

I agree old spec is the optimum choice for the OP but they do have a choice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (162)
14.49%
I'm not sure (51)
4.56%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (330)
29.52%
I have already dropped out (33)
2.95%
I'm not a current university student (542)
48.48%

Watched Threads