tionz
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm currently taking politics, English lit, history and French but I'm thinking of changing politics to film studies to make it easier on myself and because I'm interested in movies. I'm not sure if film studies is a fun a-level and that it works well with my others. Also, if I did English lit, French, history and film studies would my a-levels still be respected and would it be enough to get into a really good university? Thanks!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by tionz)
I'm currently taking politics, English lit, history and French but I'm thinking of changing politics to film studies to make it easier on myself and because I'm interested in movies. I'm not sure if film studies is a fun a-level and that it works well with my others. Also, if I did English lit, French, history and film studies would my a-levels still be respected and would it be enough to get into a really good university? Thanks!
Your first three A levels are strong facilitating subjects. If you did really well in hem you can get in anywhere. Film studies is less well respected if it was first or second, its ok as a third and definitely as a fourth. Id do it as its a fun A level, just get an A/ A* in it.
mythical.6
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by tionz)
Is it not only the grades that matter? If you do well surely the actual courses don't matter? Bar ones requiring certain A levels for entry of course

If you find it fun, take it. You'll need it at sixth form
Chelsea A
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Film Studies works really well with both English Language and Literature. I find a lot of my work can cross over and ideas work well alongside each other. Film isn’t a well respected subject but it doesn’t really affect what you carry on to do at the end of the day. I am applying for uni (doing journalism) and have received 4 offers with no concern for me taking a film a-level. It’s a really fun topic to experience and the amount of films you get to study in-depth, such a European films such as breathless and UK films like Shaun of the dead are amazing to experience. Go for it if you want to!
xEmilyxx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ignore all the rubbish about how you should not do Film Studies and should keep to your facilitating subjects. If you believe you will enjoy it more then by all means swap one to it. It wont hinder your university chances. I take Film Studies as a third A Level and I currently hold offers from RG universities. At the end of the day, the grade matters.

It can also be fun if taught properly. I suggest you check the pass rates for Film Studies at the place where you study before you swap.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (712)
33.92%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (898)
42.78%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (396)
18.87%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.43%

Watched Threads