The Student Room Group

What is NOT Bullying?

My, with the list of them I think 'well, what if...?' But it sounds okay, those individual, one off acts might not necessarily be bullying but is some kind of mean act
Reply 2
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
My, with the list of them I think 'well, what if...?' But it sounds okay, those individual, one off acts might not necessarily be bullying but is some kind of mean act

would you stop being friends with people who do those mean acts one time
Original post by veeraxox
would you stop being friends with people who do those mean acts one time

Depends on whether it's genuine banter or malicious
Reply 4
How I see it is it depends on how something is done (what the motivation and goal is). If you're excluding somebody cos you just don't really like them or want to play with just some people that's fine. Sure it would be nice to include them, but it's not bullying. If you're excluding somebody because you want to make them feel bad or annoy them then it's being mean/ bullying.
If you hit somebody with the goal to hurt of upset them then it's being mean/ bullying. If you hit them because they keep annoying you and won't stop when you ask them to, it's not being mean or bullying- it's lashing out in reaction to them being mean.

Also, bullying is something that is done more than once. It doesn't have to be the same thing each time, but it's doing things multiple times in order to hurt or upset somebody. If it isn't done multiple times then it's just being mean. If there's no harsh motivation then it's still a mean action, but not proper bullying and not a mean person (despite probably feeling like it to the 'victim').
I sometimes like to look at the intent part as bullying vs bully. The things they are doing may be bullying, but they are not a bully because they do not mean harm by it.

I see that list as pretty spot on. The only thing I would note is that some of those could be used to bully people when there is that harsh motivation. So although exclusion isn't bulling in itself, it could be used to bully somebody and an argument isn't bullying, but constantly starting arguments for the sake of annoyance can be. Also, some of those things may not be bullying, but can still feel just as bad to the 'victim' and do still need to be dealt with.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending