Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
B1278 - Waste Management Privatisation Bill 2017, TSR Ukip

Waste Management Privatisation Bill 2017

A bill to privatise waste management

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1: For the purpose of this Act:
(1) Waste management is the collection, transportation, and disposal of garbage, sewage, and other waste products.

2: Privatisation
(1) Government shall create a contract with private companies and outsource waste magmentment to the private sector
(2) State owned waste management services shall be sold to the highest bidding waste disposal companies in round of auctions
(3) The highest bidding private companies shall have a contract created with the government
(i) The contract shall entitled them to manage waste, collect bins and transporting and disposing of rubbish and hiring workers
(ii) The private companies will follow the appropriate regulations and laws regarding waste disposal

3: Exemptions
(1) Students who are enrolled at university and staying away from home shall be exempt from paying for residential bin collection
(2) Pensioners shall be exempt from paying for residential bin collection

4: Subsidisation
(1) The local authorities shall have the ability to subside the cost of residential bin collection
(2) Local authorities can subsidize cost up to maximum 50% dependant on household income

5: Council tax
(1) Council tax shall be cut by 20%

6: Commencement, Short title and Extent
(1) This Act may be cited as Waste Management Privatisation Bill 2017
(2) This Act extends to the whole of the United Kingdom
(3) This Act comes into force upon royal assent

Notes
As we have seen from all the bin strikes binman go on leaving rubbish piled up on the streets and refusing to clean up. Complaining about wages and being ineffective in collecting and disposing rubbish. Tax payers money is used to pay for waste management services and hire binman and instead the money is being wasted as binman go on strikes and refuse to collect rubbish clogging up the streets with rubbish. It's for those reasons we believe privatising waste management services and allowing the private sector to collect and dispose rubbish will be far more efficient and cheaper. Local authorities have the power to reduce bin collection cost by giving out subsidies to low income households and students and pensioners shall be exempt from paying making bin collection more affordable for households. This allows us to cut council tax and local government and councils will save on money and focus on other matters.
username1899909
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye
Quamquam123
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nay. This could this cause our neighbourhoods to be filled with waste and cases of flytipping would soar, as some people either may not be able to afford or may not be bothered to pay the fee for rubbish collection. Furthermore, this bill is very unspecific of how people would pay for the rubbish collection. Finally, I would like to address this point made in the notes: 'as we have seen from all the bin strikes binman go on leaving rubbish piled up on the streets and refusing to clean up'. As you will probably know, rail passengers in the south-east of England, including myself, have been affected by wave after wave of Southern Rail strikes; and Southern Rail is a privatised company. Therefore, I find your implication that privatising waste management will reduce the number of strikes quite nonsensical.
TheDefiniteArticle
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nay. Tendering processes very rarely create long-term competitive benefits.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's a poor quality bill and I see no reason to mandate councils / mayors (I believe it's mayors in TSRland) to privatise against their wishes. As far as I know a lot of councils already do tender their services but there's no good reason to ban them from keeping them in-house.
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Section three in this bill is out of place, it references a charge that does not exist.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I believe that there is a spelling mistake in 2.3.i

I think section 5 is too strong.

2.1 should outline what level of government and doesn't

I like the premise of this bill, I find fault with its execution and agree with QQs point about the regulation and clean up for fly-tipping.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nay. Barnet outsourcing of such services has led to a worse service. Cutting council tax will mean other services cut.
Joel 96
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye
username1524603
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No, an uncontrolled cut in council tax by 20% when there is no replacement creates a situation where the council will be cutting the wrong services. The council will still need to pay for collections by paying for the contract. It may cost the council less, however, the reduction is costs will not be equal to 20% of the council's tax revenue, meaning other services will need to be cut. The others services cut would be having fewer collections to lower the cost of contract which causing an increase in fly tipping and the cost of clearing it up, or cutting other services, for example road repairs, to protect flagship services the local council uses to win elections like protecting toddler play groups and scarcely used libraries which will be used by the controlling party as manifesto propaganda in elections.
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Quamquam123)
Nay. This could this cause our neighbourhoods to be filled with waste and cases of flytipping would soar, as some people either may not be able to afford or may not be bothered to pay the fee for rubbish collection. Furthermore, this bill is very unspecific of how people would pay for the rubbish collection. Finally, I would like to address this point made in the notes: 'as we have seen from all the bin strikes binman go on leaving rubbish piled up on the streets and refusing to clean up'. As you will probably know, rail passengers in the south-east of England, including myself, have been affected by wave after wave of Southern Rail strikes; and Southern Rail is a privatised company. Therefore, I find your implication that privatising waste management will reduce the number of strikes quite nonsensical.
I thank the right honourable gentlemen for the concerns raised I would look for ways to reduce fly-tipping and ways for people to pay for rubbish collection in the next reading. Regarding your last point that's a valid point, however I still feel rubbish collection will be better handled via the private sector and be far more efficient and less costly for the government.

(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
No, an uncontrolled cut in council tax by 20% when there is no replacement creates a situation where the council will be cutting the wrong services. The council will still need to pay for collections by paying for the contract. It may cost the council less, however, the reduction is costs will not be equal to 20% of the council's tax revenue, meaning other services will need to be cut. The others services cut would be having fewer collections to lower the cost of contract which causing an increase in fly tipping and the cost of clearing it up, or cutting other services, for example road repairs, to protect flagship services the local council uses to win elections like protecting toddler play groups and scarcely used libraries which will be used by the controlling party as manifesto propaganda in elections.
Waste management services are only a minor expenditure compared to everything else local government spend on. I could lower the tax cut? What does the honourable gentlemen recommend the changes I make to improve this bill for next reading?
username1524603
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mr T 999)
I thank the right honourable gentlemen for the concerns raised I would look for ways to reduce fly-tipping and ways for people to pay for rubbish collection in the next reading. Regarding your last point that's a valid point, however I still feel rubbish collection will be better handled via the private sector and be far more efficient and less costly for the government.

Waste management services are only a minor expenditure compared to everything else local government spend on. I could lower the tax cut? What does the honourable gentlemen recommend the changes I make to improve this bill for next reading?
Having provisions to detail what the contractors need to fulfil and including restrictions on what funding councils can lower in their budgets.
Quamquam123
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mr T 999)
I thank you you for your response. Please can you give me a rough idea of how much you believe this bill would save the government?
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The stingy Tory council in Barnet spend under £17m on the area that includes refuse collection, out of a budget of over £900m. The £17m includes street cleaning and transport. The Council tax contributes £160m or so, so 20% would mean £32m of cuts.
Gladstone1885
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Fix the bill then aye
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Quamquam123)
I thank you you for your response. Please can you give me a rough idea of how much you believe this bill would save the government?
I cannot answer that question accurately as each local government have their own budget and it will vary regarding savings made.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
This bill has hereby entered cessation.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
This bill has hereby gone to a second reading.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (60)
40.82%
Take autumn exams (53)
36.05%
Look for a job (3)
2.04%
Consider an apprenticeship (4)
2.72%
Take a year out (19)
12.93%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (8)
5.44%

Watched Threads