__gurlll1011__
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Would you recommend it ? What could I potentially study at a good uni with maths, English Language and economics ? Thanks ! x
anonasian
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
100%!!!! I was sceptical bc I didn't even know what it was but it's now my favourite subject and I'm applying to study it an uni. It's not too hard but it's still a 'preferred' A-level.
With maths and econ, you can study any econ related courses and go into the finance sectors (banking/accountancy)
Zach3
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by __gurlll1011__)
Would you recommend it ? What could I potentially study at a good uni with maths, English Language and economics ? Thanks ! x
It all comes from the scarcity of resources, which is referred to as the 'basic economic problem'. Resources in our world are limited but wants are infinite. The main objective of economics is the satisfaction of these needs and wants through the market mechanism, which allocates these resources giving a price to goods.

If that sounds like it interests you, then go for it. No degree specifically asks for economics, so it's best to mix it with two facilitating subjects (such as English Lit and Maths like I did), but it's so relevant to our worldwide issues today and we get to use real life examples in our essays.

It's certainly not as theoretical as the natural sciences - you don't conduct your own experiments, you use data from the real world. I love it as it's not as far-fetched as maths, it's more useful.

P.S I do the same subjects as you're considering, except instead of Eng. Lang I do Literature, and I advise you do the same as it's far more established.
__gurlll1011__
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Zach3)
It all comes from the scarcity of resources, which is referred to as the 'basic economic problem'. Resources in our world are limited but wants are infinite. The main objective of economics is the satisfaction of these needs and wants through the market mechanism, which allocates these resources giving a price to goods.

If that sounds like it interests you, then go for it. No degree specifically asks for economics, so it's best to mix it with two facilitating subjects (such as English Lit and Maths like I did), but it's so relevant to our worldwide issues today and we get to use real life examples in our essays.

It's certainly not as theoretical as the natural sciences - you don't conduct your own experiments, you use data from the real world. I love it as it's not as far-fetched as maths, it's more useful.

P.S I do the same subjects as you're considering, except instead of Eng. Lang I do Literature, and I advise you do the same as it's far more established.
Thanks for your help !! Do you mind me asking what sort of course you want to do at uni and what career your looking to go into ? Thanks
Zach3
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by __gurlll1011__)
Thanks for your help !! Do you mind me asking what sort of course you want to do at uni and what career your looking to go into ? Thanks
Not entirely sure about what career quite yet, but I'd like to study Philosophy, Politics and Economics at uni (as I'm in my A2 year I may pick up AS Philosophy). You don't need any of these subjects at A level to do the degree, and I'm pretty sure they'd prefer English Lit to Govt & Politics (English is more established, though Politics is a relatively useful A level too). Economics sits right in the middle of English and Maths, being a social science.

Hope that helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?