The Student Room Group
Original post by coolbeans63
I was wondering if NCS and/or D of E will make me stand out when applying to medical school because I haven't done either and I don't know if I should. I was also wondering if attending air cadets will help as well :smile:

no
I was wondering if NCS and/or D of E will make me stand out when applying to medical school because I haven't done either and I don't know if I should. I was also wondering if attending air cadets will help as well :smile:

On their own they make no difference, what's more important is the skills you gained doing them. You won't stand out though, most applicants will have strong EC's.

Literally no university will care about either. 15 years ago yes when they were much less common, these days so many people do it that it actually makes you stand out more if you don't. Some schools near me have over 90% of their year groups do NCS or D of E.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by HopelessMedic
On their own they make no difference, what's more important is the skills you gained doing them. You won't stand out though, most applicants will have strong EC's.

What makes a strong EC?

i did ncs, and i mentioned it in my interview, but what i mentioned was more the skills i got from it and how it could help me as a med student/doctor. tbh everyone is doing it now, so theyre more interested in what you got from it!
The components of D of E are what makes it useful to a PS. A lot of examples can come from it.
Reply 7
Original post by thecurlymedic48
i did ncs, and i mentioned it in my interview, but what i mentioned was more the skills i got from it and how it could help me as a med student/doctor. tbh everyone is doing it now, so theyre more interested in what you got from it!

Do you go to med school? if you do, what other things did your uni look for? What activities did your peers do?
Do you go to med school? if you do, what other things did your uni look for? What activities did your peers do?

hey! yes im in my 3rd year :smile:

ncs was useful cause i explained the skills i got from it, managing a team, managing money, being responsible etc...

my peers probably all did DoE, international programmes, summer schools...

but literally my uni doesnt care about how impressive it is, they just want to see what you gained from it, and how this could make you a better doctor
Reply 9
hey! yes im in my 3rd year :smile:

ncs was useful cause i explained the skills i got from it, managing a team, managing money, being responsible etc...

my peers probably all did DoE, international programmes, summer schools...

but literally my uni doesnt care about how impressive it is, they just want to see what you gained from it, and how this could make you a better doctor

oh wow that's so cool! which uni? i aspire to be on your level one day :adore:

so in my spare time i just go hiking, the gym, study and stuff like that. Couls I use that to show some sort of commitment or resilience or is it just kinda stupid? Like can I talk my way into it?
What makes a strong EC?

I mean't you will be up against many applicants who will be Head Boy/Girl, sports captains ect so doing something like DOFE or NCS won't make you stand out.
Original post by redhelen
The components of D of E are what makes it useful to a PS. A lot of examples can come from it.

Do I have to have a government signed certificate or can I just say that I do something in my spare time and what it has taught me?
No you write your PS about what you have done and experience you've gained.
oh wow that's so cool! which uni? i aspire to be on your level one day :adore:

so in my spare time i just go hiking, the gym, study and stuff like that. Couls I use that to show some sort of commitment or resilience or is it just kinda stupid? Like can I talk my way into it?

thank you :smile: i go to southampton.

yes you can use it to show that you have other interests and you are a well rounded person, but i think using ncs to show that you have taken responsibility as a project manager (if you were one), or showed good communicaiton skills when planning your community project is great
thank you :smile: i go to southampton.

yes you can use it to show that you have other interests and you are a well rounded person, but i think using ncs to show that you have taken responsibility as a project manager (if you were one), or showed good communicaiton skills when planning your community project is great

Ohh I visited Southampton last week! It's got a nice campus! Kinda confusing tho😅

Well if I'm invited to fundraising events by the place I volunteer at then could I use that to show that I can take responsibility and lead a group organisation? And demonstrate good communication skills?

I'm so sorry for bombarding you questions😄😄
Ohh I visited Southampton last week! It's got a nice campus! Kinda confusing tho😅

Well if I'm invited to fundraising events by the place I volunteer at then could I use that to show that I can take responsibility and lead a group organisation? And demonstrate good communication skills?

I'm so sorry for bombarding you questions😄😄

thats okay!

yes, of course! you can pick out something specific you did and link it to leadership in medicine!

did you apply for the 5 or 6 year course?
thats okay!

yes, of course! you can pick out something specific you did and link it to leadership in medicine!

did you apply for the 5 or 6 year course?

I've actually just started y12 so nowhere near application but I'm looking to apply to the 5 year course.

Looking at my stats, which uni do you think is the best for me? (Purely based on grades)

3A* 4A 2B in GCSE

I've only just started sixth form but I've done some tests and I have relatively high results (14/15 on one of my tests) so let's say I get 4A* in a level (I do 4 a levels cuz I'm hard core). Taking that into consideration, do you think I am a competitive candidate? I know it depends on a multiple of other factors but grades-wise, how am I doing?
To get 4 A* you will really need to work hard. My daughter did 4 and its no walk in the park!

If you have done long term volunteering that will be just as relevant as someone doing it as part of their D of E.