The Student Room Group

Controversial - Straight Pride

This is entirely theoretical and is in no way intended to cause arguments. Purely for debate.

What do you think would be the likely effect of a straight pride parade or campaign? Labelled as homophobes? Given support? Laughed at? Me and a few friends have been discussing and I would love to hear your opinions. Also feel free to message if you don’t wish to post.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by doogieduggie
This is entirely theoretical and is in no way intended to cause arguments. Purely for debate.

What do you think would be the likely effect of a straight pride parade or campaign? Labelled as homophobes? Given support? Laughed at? Me and a few friends have been discussing and I would love to hear your opinions. Also feel free to message if you don’t wish to post.

The chances of it happening are minimal in most countries, but if we're talking about America, than in all honestly; i wouldn't be surprised if there was one. (Afterall from my point of view - it's a country full of controversialist)

Plus as it stands there are Gay supporters on TSR so i ain't gona risk having my account banned for debating about a risky topic with over emotional mods watching on the sidelines.
Original post by Jang Gwangnam
The chances of it happening are minimal in most countries, but if we're talking about America, than in all honestly; i wouldn't be surprised if there was one. (Afterall from my point of view - it's a country full of controversialist)

Plus as it stands there are Gay supporters on TSR so i ain't gona risk having my account banned for debating about a risky topic with over emotional mods watching on the sidelines.

Fairs answer. Risky creating this I know haha. Just wondered what other people thought. Then again, if this was deleted, would this be deemed as straight prejudice?
Treated as it should be: as an absurdity.
They would be labelled as homophobes and probably assaulted by antifa
Reply 5
Fairs answer. Risky creating this I know haha. Just wondered what other people thought. Then again, if this was deleted, would this be deemed as straight prejudice?

To show pride in what? Not facing any hardship on the basis of sexuality ever?

Must be real tough I'm sure. :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's just being awkward for the sake of it- the point of Gay Pride is that the LGBT community face discrimination and being told that they are shameful. There's no reason to have a straight pride event.
This is exactly what I mean. It’s theoretical, I don’t care about the event itself I am talking purely about the after effects. People are already getting angry, and this is what I am getting at. Why get angry, when myself at least are not the slightest bit angry at a LGBT parade? Just for reference if any accuses me of homophobia etc I have multiple gay friends, and family members, and I understand what indeed some of them have gone through.
Original post by _Fergo
To show pride in what? Not facing any hardship on the basis of sexuality ever?

Must be real tough I'm sure. :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile

"im proud to be british"
"im proud to be turkish"
"im proud to be an zombie"

in all 3 cases no oppression is faced but being proud of who or what you represent, imo, is absolutely fine

QED
Original post by Miss Scarlett
It's just being awkward for the sake of it- the point of Gay Pride is that the LGBT community face discrimination and being told that they are shameful. There's no reason to have a straight pride event.

I can safely say I have never discriminated someone for their sexuality. But I have had gay people discriminating me for being straight? Believe it or don’t believe it but I can assure you this has happened.
There's nothing to be proud about being straight. Us straight people are the social norm and accepted into society whereas for most of human history and today the LGBT community have been ostracised and persecuted.

The only ppl who advocate for a straight pride are either the anti-LGBT "all lives matter" morons or actual mentally inferior idiots who don't understand the deeper yet simple meaning behind pride.
Reply 11
Not sure what the problem is, do you need to be oppressed in order to be proud of something?
I can safely say I have never discriminated someone for their sexuality. But I have had gay people discriminating me for being straight? Believe it or don’t believe it but I can assure you this has happened.

How convenient.
ngl straight pride sounds like a great piss up...
(edited 6 years ago)
This is exactly what I mean. It’s theoretical, I don’t care about the event itself I am talking purely about the after effects. People are already getting angry, and this is what I am getting at. Why get angry, when myself at least are not the slightest bit angry at a LGBT parade? Just for reference if any accuses me of homophobia etc I have multiple gay friends, and family members, and I understand what indeed some of them have gone through.

The entire point of Pride is to be public about your sexuality. Straight people have always been able to be public about their sexuality, they don't need an event to celebrate that they are no longer going to be arrested and imprisoned for who they have sex with. Pride is about reminding the world that times have moved on and setting examples of acceptance. Maybe pride isn't the best word to use, but that's what was chosen.
Original post by rhaegal100
How convenient.

Lol. Is it not convenient to have been discriminated in any other situation? But as it is applicable to the current conversation, suddenly is an obscurity and a problem.
Lol. Is it not convenient to have been discriminated in any other situation? But as it is applicable to the current conversation, suddenly is an obscurity and a problem.

Incidences like that will inevitably occur however you're a complete idiot (which you've already established) if you seriously think your little incident somehow means that the discrimination straight ppl face (which is next to none) is comparable to the discrimination LGBT get.
Original post by Glassapple
The entire point of Pride is to be public about your sexuality. Straight people have always been able to be public about their sexuality, they don't need an event to celebrate that they are no longer going to be arrested and imprisoned for who they have sex with. Pride is about reminding the world that times have moved on and setting examples of acceptance. Maybe pride isn't the best word to use, but that's what was chosen.

My final post lol. Yes, I can see the point in this and understand it. My point is that would the be deemed as homophobes, or simply expressing themselves?
Original post by MathMan+C
"im proud to be british"
"im proud to be turkish"
"im proud to be an zombie"

in all 3 cases no oppression is faced but being proud of who or what you represent, imo, is absolutely fine

QED

Being proud of who you are is not the discussion. Having a a national event to commemorate that is what is being discussed and by some users like yourself, apparently mocked.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest