The Student Room Group

I've aced all my tests but I can't afford higher education...

So all through-out my school years I have been studying and studying and studying for what seems to be endless hours. The grades (at least viewed from my country's standpoint) could not be any better. I have gotten the highest grade possible and somehow I still cannot afford to go to university.

I see people that slogged their way through school, barely making it because their grades were so poor get into uni, simply because their parents have enough money to go around. It really makes me wonder why I actually tried all these years. Extra lessons, 3+ hours of studying every single night, almost isolating myself socially because I thought a great education was they way forward. Truth of the matter is, if you don't have money you are not able to realize your dreams. No matter how hard you work.

All I am asking here is whether anyone know of some way a poor student can get his university degree. I have worked minimum wage for 4 years on top of having school to think about and STILL I have not made enough to go to University. I am terribly frustrated and saddened by the fact that money seems to control everything in this life. Nothing matters if you do not have paper. Doesn't matter how hard you work.

Any advice is greatly appreciated....

Also sorry if my English is slightly difficult to understand. I am not a native speaker I'm afraid.
Original post by Anonymous
So all through-out my school years I have been studying and studying and studying for what seems to be endless hours. The grades (at least viewed from my country's standpoint) could not be any better. I have gotten the highest grade possible and somehow I still cannot afford to go to university.

I see people that slogged their way through school, barely making it because their grades were so poor get into uni, simply because their parents have enough money to go around. It really makes me wonder why I actually tried all these years. Extra lessons, 3+ hours of studying every single night, almost isolating myself socially because I thought a great education was they way forward. Truth of the matter is, if you don't have money you are not able to realize your dreams. No matter how hard you work.

All I am asking here is whether anyone know of some way a poor student can get his university degree. I have worked minimum wage for 4 years on top of having school to think about and STILL I have not made enough to go to University. I am terribly frustrated and saddened by the fact that money seems to control everything in this life. Nothing matters if you do not have paper. Doesn't matter how hard you work.

Also sorry if my English is slightly difficult to understand. I am not a native speaker I'm afraid.

It may very well be worth contacting universities. Explain your situation, tell them how passionate you are and ask what bursaries they offer for students such as yourself. Seriously, there may well be a Uni that can offer you a place with adequate funding to get you through. It sucks. You do realise you can apply for Loans right? The lower your parents income (and given your issue is money this seems very relevant) the more money you could ask for. You may well be eligible for up to £9000 a year maintenance loan. One in which you only pay back once you start earning over £21,000. And, any student is eligible to have tuition fees paid for them, which goes directly to the university.

Hope this helps. x
Original post by FloralHybrid
It may very well be worth contacting universities. Explain your situation, tell them how passionate you are and ask what bursaries they offer for students such as yourself. Seriously, there may well be a Uni that can offer you a place with adequate funding to get you through. It sucks. You do realise you can apply for Loans right? The lower your parents income (and given your issue is money this seems very relevant) the more money you could ask for. You may well be eligible for up to £9000 a year maintenance loan. One in which you only pay back once you start earning over £21,000. And, any student is eligible to have tuition fees paid for them, which goes directly to the university.

Hope this helps. x

this.

You don't have to pay for University out of pocket. As above.

Are you from the UK?

Quick Reply

Latest