Requirements to study Law at university?

Watch this thread
lyanu
Badges: 10
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I keep seeing that there are no 'real requirements' on University websites...but surely this can't be the case? I'm just slightly nervous as my father has basically told me that anything I'd actually like to study (first theatre, then natural sciences) is useless, so I'm trying to find something I might enjoy that'd lead into a job. Also wondering whether it differs from middle tier universities, to RG unis to Oxbridge.

Please don't give me a lecture on my personal situation. No "putting my foot down" will not work, and no I am not Asian.

Taking A level Chemistry, Biology and Psychology, and possibly AS (not sure if I'm doing A) level English Literature.

9 A*s/A, 1 B at GCSE (7.5)

Thank you!
James1997c
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Typically ABB is the cutoff to study Law at a RG University. They say there are no particular subjects, but I've always disagreed because the course involves a lot of reading and writing and so I'm inclined to say that studying an essay based subject would be great.

The subjects you've listed is fine. English Lit is suitable (maybe only second to History) - I study it at an RG so let me know if you have any questions.
Cubone-r
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lyanu)
I keep seeing that there are no 'real requirements' on University websites...but surely this can't be the case? I'm just slightly nervous as my father has basically told me that anything I'd actually like to study (first theatre, then natural sciences) is useless, so I'm trying to find something I might enjoy that'd lead into a job. Also wondering whether it differs from middle tier universities, to RG unis to Oxbridge.

Please don't give me a lecture on my personal situation. No "putting my foot down" will not work, and no I am not Asian.

Taking A level Chemistry, Biology and Psychology, and possibly AS (not sure if I'm doing A) level English Literature.

9 A*s/A, 1 B at GCSE (7.5)

Thank you!
There are no real subject specific requirements for law. For RG unis they usually require a B in English Language at GCSE level, but that's the only requirement they ask for.

Now, there is some useful preparation for a law degree such as an essay-based A level. However, this is not essential. Most important for law degree applications is high grades in your A levels, whatever those subjects are.

You can really take any combination of A levels - an A level in Drama & Theatre Studies can and has formed many successful applications to study law at degree level in the past.

Best advice is to pick A levels you are interested in and are likely to get high grades in - that's all there is to it.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Cubone-r)
There are no real subject specific requirements for law. For RG unis they usually require a B in English Language at GCSE level, but that's the only requirement they ask for.

Now, there is some useful preparation for a law degree such as an essay-based A level. However, this is not essential. Most important for law degree applications is high grades in your A levels, whatever those subjects are.

You can really take any combination of A levels - an A level in Drama & Theatre Studies can and has formed many successful applications to study law at degree level in the past.

Best advice is to pick A levels you are interested in and are likely to get high grades in - that's all there is to it.
Drama with maths, further maths and history ... you stand a decent chance of getting into Cambridge. Drama with law, sociology and business ... the odds are not in your favour. Drama won't kill your application, but other subjects would increase your chances of getting an offer more.
HighOnGoofballs
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
NATURAL SCIENCES IS USELESS?!!?!

FAM THAT'S LIKE THE MOST ATTRACTIVE DEGREE OUT THERE LMFAOoo
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (18)
31.03%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.93%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.45%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.17%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.9%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
12.07%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.72%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.72%

Watched Threads