The Student Room Group

Is Year 9 too early to be thinking of GCSE's?

Not sure if i should start really thinking of them, too early? I really want to succeed and not cram or panic!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by zstudent13
Not sure if i should start really thinking of them, too early? I really want to succeed and not cram or panic!

If there's one thing i've learnt in life, it's that you can never be over-prepared.

Whilst you don't by any means have to start doing several hours of GCSE revision per day, focusing some solid revision time on your GCSE courses now will make life so much easier for you come year 10 & 11.

Best of luck with your studies :tongue:
You should be thinking about subjects you like and might want to do for 2 more years. So should also be looking to rejoice when you get to drop some subjects you hate.
Reply 3
Original post by shadowdmdm
If there's one thing i've learnt in life, it's that you can never be over-prepared.

Whilst you don't by any means have to start doing several hours of GCSE revision per day, focusing some solid revision time on your GCSE courses now will make life so much easier for you come year 10 & 11.

Best of luck with your studies :tongue:

Thank you! How much solid revision of GCSE courses a week or day? And do you think note-taking will help? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by black1blade
You should be thinking about subjects you like and might want to do for 2 more years. So should also be looking to rejoice when you get to drop some subjects you hate.

How about taking notes in subjects I do want to keep? Will it benefit me?
How about taking notes in subjects I do want to keep? Will it benefit me?

Probably not.
Thank you! How much solid revision of GCSE courses a week or day? And do you think note-taking will help? :smile:

Honestly the two years over year 10 & 11 are easily enough time to get all your GCSE revision in, but if you wanted a headstart I would say do an hour a day on a certain subject (on top of your year 9 work). It will definitely add up over the year.

As for note-taking, it depends on your style of learning. I never really saw the point as everything can be found in a concise form within textbooks; and they have example questions and diagrams to accompany it.

Personally, I find the best way to revise is to do as many past papers as you can get hold of.
Reply 7
Original post by shadowdmdm
Honestly the two years over year 10 & 11 are easily enough time to get all your GCSE revision in, but if you wanted a headstart I would say do an hour a day on a certain subject (on top of your year 9 work). It will definitely add up over the year.

As for note-taking, it depends on your style of learning. I never really saw the point as everything can be found in a concise form within textbooks; and they have example questions and diagrams to accompany it.

Personally, I find the best way to revise is to do as many past papers as you can get hold of.

Should I be working on past papers at this stage like at the end of the term or....?
Do an hour or so (never more then 2) everyday similar to what shadowdmdm said, for whatever subjects you will do for GCSEs, and really just understand the theory. After that, just do past papers and practise practise practise. Learning the theory can be the hard bit but after all u need to is regular practise. Good luck m9
(edited 6 years ago)

You're early, but I'd reccomend ensuring you are on top of EVERYTHING from Year 9, as it comes up in GCSE courses ( I wasn't and struggled for a bit in year 11).
Not past papers or anything like that, but maybe half an hour writing up your lessons for that day in proper note form, that you could revise off. Them obviously for your core subjects and lessons you know you're gonna take.
Think? Yeah.

Revisie? No.
Reply 12
Yeah, try enjoy year 9 and year 10 and have fun, even in year 11 as long as you stay on top of coursework you're not going to suffer too much if you slack. Then from when exams start just cram really hard and you should be fine, If you aren't very intelligent or worry too much then probably revise from Jan/Feb in Year 11.

Quick Reply

Latest