The Student Room Group

Dangerous psycho aunt. Can I get her sectioned?

Hi all,

I need some advice about some family drama.

The problem is that my aunt is poison. Let's look at her track record.. her eldest daughter literally ran away from home and now none of us have seen her in years. Her second daughter has moved away after getting married and cut off her mum as well because she tried ruining her marriage, now none of us ever see her either.
She also has 2 sons who are married and she is the mother in law from hell to them.

She has never approved of my dad's marriage to my mum and has made my mum's life hell on and off for over 20 years. This woman basically hates everyone and is extremely bitter and jealous and cannot stand to see people happy.

So we cut her off after my grandma died and had some peaceful years without her in our life, but with family weddings and other events she has recently caused so much **** and I cannot believe she can just get away with being this mentally disturbed.

One of my cousins has just got married so all the family has been together at the weekend and my psycho aunt's sons and partners had to come 'secretely' because she is bitter and didn't go. She tried to stop her own family from going out of her own bitterness and whatever feud she creates in her head. Anyway, someone snitched on them and psycho aunt sent her son's wife a voicemail proper swearing at her, screaming, saying she is going to make sure they get divorced. It was the most toxic message I've ever heard.

They said that sort of message is what they deal with every day from her. Then they told us that she literally keeps a baseball bat under her couch and that she hit her husband over the head with it 3 times and he packed his bags and left the home. How isn't she locked up yet???

Now she has been phoning our house since the day we came back from the wedding and we know it's her ringing on witheld because 1. we've never had anything like this before 2. it only started since the day she knew we'd be back home 3. my dad works in a similar industry to her son so they keep in touch and she gets angry about that 4. my dad answered the phone and she didn't speak, but I guarantee if I or my mum answer it she will go off on us.
We've literally had over 20 phone calls from 10am to 10pm today it's gotta be her. I came home from work and the phone was ringing from that witheld number. It's extremely obsessive and psycho and she's trying to pick a fight with us now but we've just been ignoring it hoping she'll **** off.

Also, once when I was younger she rocked up at our house out of the blue and literally tried to punch my mum. So now it's making me a bit paranoid that she'll show up when my mum is home on her own while we're at work.

Can I realistically get this woman sectioned into a mental hospital? Can I do it ananymously? She is unstable and a danger to the people around her. She's doing everything in her power to ruin everyone's lives.

I know people are going to suggest that I phone the police on her but her own family won't do that so I don't have much ground to be calling the police on her. Plus my dad isn't defending us and thinks it's funny to stir the pot even more. His sister is literally psycho and he has no shame about it whatsoever. He laughs at our concern and tries to cause more trouble.

What can I do to get her sent away?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi all,

I need some advice about some family drama.

The problem is that my aunt is poison. Let's look at her track record.. her eldest daughter literally ran away from home and now none of us have seen her in years. Her second daughter has moved away after getting married and cut off her mum as well because she tried ruining her marriage, now none of us ever see her either.
She also has 2 sons who are married and she is the mother in law from hell to them.

She has never approved of my dad's marriage to my mum and has made my mum's life hell on and off for over 20 years. This woman basically hates everyone and is extremely bitter and jealous and cannot stand to see people happy.

So we cut her off after my grandma died and had some peaceful years without her in our life, but with family weddings and other events she has recently caused so much **** and I cannot believe she can just get away with being this mentally disturbed.

One of my cousins has just got married so all the family has been together at the weekend and my psycho aunt's sons and partners had to come 'secretely' because she is bitter and didn't go. She tried to stop her own family from going out of her own bitterness and whatever feud she creates in her head. Anyway, someone snitched on them and psycho aunt sent her son's wife a voicemail proper swearing at her, screaming, saying she is going to make sure they get divorced. It was the most toxic message I've ever heard.

They said that sort of message is what they deal with every day from her. Then they told us that she literally keeps a baseball bat under her couch and that she hit her husband over the head with it 3 times and he packed his bags and left the home. How isn't she locked up yet???

Now she has been phoning our house since the day we came back from the wedding and we know it's her ringing on witheld because 1. we've never had anything like this before 2. it only started since the day she knew we'd be back home 3. my dad works in a similar industry to her son so they keep in touch and she gets angry about that 4. my dad answered the phone and she didn't speak, but I guarantee if I or my mum answer it she will go off on us.
We've literally had over 20 phone calls from 10am to 10pm today it's gotta be her. I came home from work and the phone was ringing from that witheld number. It's extremely obsessive and psycho and she's trying to pick a fight with us now but we've just been ignoring it hoping she'll **** off.

Also, once when I was younger she rocked up at our house out of the blue and literally tried to punch my mum. So now it's making me a bit paranoid that she'll show up when my mum is home on her own while we're at work.

Can I realistically get this woman sectioned into a mental hospital? Can I do it ananymously? She is unstable and a danger to the people around her. She's doing everything in her power to ruin everyone's lives.

I know people are going to suggest that I phone the police on her but her own family won't do that so I don't have much ground to be calling the police on her. Plus my dad isn't defending us and thinks it's funny to stir the pot even more. His sister is literally psycho and he has no shame about it whatsoever. He laughs at our concern and tries to cause more trouble.

What can I do to get her sent away?

You can't get her sectioned. Phoning the police is really the only thing you can do, at least they'll have a record of what's happened. It doesn't matter what her family do, if she's causing you problems then you have every right to call the police. Or a restraining order, but you might need to go to the police to do that? Actually even to (attempt to) section her you'd have to call the police and they'd intervene because obviously her family aren't taking her to a doctor either :redface:
Someone will only be sectioned if they are either a danger to themselves or to others. You can't do this - she'd have to be assessed by mental health professionals as meeting one of those two conditions.

The only thing you can do in order to trigger this process is to call the police, who would take her to a mental health unit if they believed she was a threat to herself or to others due to a mental health condition, until she could be assessed.
She'd have to be a serious danger to herself or others AND it be due to mental health reasons (i.e. not just a *****y person) and I don't see any evidence of any of that. She hasn't threatened any of you and you ahve no proof of any violence at any point or of genuine mental health problems. Not everyone who is a terrible eprson has mental health issues.
I fail to see where anything is due to specific mental health problems and more just a violent personality.

Its the problem these days, people assume anyone who is violent or agressive is automatically mentally ill which causes further stigma for people who have genuine mental health problems.

Quick Reply

Latest