The Student Room Group

Does BTEC get more interesting?

I'm currently doing Level 3 Animal Care and it's so so boring. The only challenging lesson is Genetics which is basically A level Biology, and most of the enjoyment comes from unit duties. Other than that, I don't really have much interest in the lessons.

I have a history with bad attendance due to disliking school and this is not something I want to slip back into. Does it get more interesting and challenging or should I ask to do an A level beside the course or even change it?
Original post by Merpedy
I'm currently doing Level 3 Animal Care and it's so so boring. The only challenging lesson is Genetics which is basically A level Biology, and most of the enjoyment comes from unit duties. Other than that, I don't really have much interest in the lessons.

I have a history with bad attendance due to disliking school and this is not something I want to slip back into. Does it get more interesting and challenging or should I ask to do an A level beside the course or even change it?

Maybe you are on the wrong course? I cant work that out or whether you are just bored and disinterested, because of your low attention span?

Think about why you are studying and what it will get you.

Your aim should be to absorb the knowledge and do well on the assignments i.e distinctions and merits. If you want to be bored after that then fine, but if you arent getting the grades its because you arent putting the work in, so you dont have time to dawdle. If you want an additional A level then are you sure you can handle it academically?

If you are clever and smart you should get top marks and then you can mess around when you get home. Maybe you dont like learning and would prefer something more hands on and vocational at college?
Animal care is something I have been interested in since I was a child, and I generally do enjoy working with animals. That being said I applied to the college to do A Levels in English Language, History and Psychology but due to the amount of space they had and my generally late application they could only offer a BTEC. I chose Animal Care because Applied Science seemed to have a lot of focus on Chemistry (something I'm not very good with or enjoy) and the course was generally more related to Animals. One subject being closely related to Biology which I do enjoy and it's probably one of the lessons I love attending.

My main concern isn't my grades because I'm 80% sure I'll be able to achieve. It's the fact that I'm not enjoying lessons which could mean that I won't have the interest to attend the college and the commute there will be a waste of money.

Quick Reply

Latest