Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I started uni on Monday at my insurance choice and although I've made a few friends, I feel as though I haven't clicked with them much and I find myself thinking about my old friends and how I'd much rather be with them. So I feel that I'm not really enjoying it much, but at the same time I don't hate it. But freshers defo hasn't been as great as I expected. I wanted to go to uni in London, but I didn't get in to my firm. Also, I live at home, which I think is making the situation worse and I'm not allowed to go to events that are too late in the evening. I really wanted to move out for uni. Does anyone have any advice. LSE was my firm choice, so I'm posting it in this thread, because I'd rather not have the advice of the people from my uni. Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    I lived at home for my first year, so I completely empathise with wanting to leave the nest. It's definitely a great experience to do so, and teaches you a lot about independent living, budgeting, and is generally just great to have some freedom.

Personally, biased as I am, I think you should push to live out at least one of your two/three remaining years at university, house share with friends perhaps.

The amount of people who don't adjust too well to university is a lot higher than you might think. Survive your first year, and I'm sure you'll start to see things differently. Like you said, you just started on Monday. Monday. That's literally two days ago. Give it some time, I know it's not easy for you and you're definitely not alone in that respect, but "don't knock it until you try it". It's an amazing experience, perhaps a cultural shock, but it's worth it to stick around even if you're comfortable just doing your own thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sykeology)
    I lived at home for my first year, so I completely empathise with wanting to leave the nest. It's definitely a great experience to do so, and teaches you a lot about independent living, budgeting, and is generally just great to have some freedom.

Personally, biased as I am, I think you should push to live out at least one of your two/three remaining years at university, house share with friends perhaps.

The amount of people who don't adjust too well to university is a lot higher than you might think. Survive your first year, and I'm sure you'll start to see things differently. Like you said, you just started on Monday. Monday. That's literally two days ago. Give it some time, I know it's not easy for you and you're definitely not alone in that respect, but "don't knock it until you try it". It's an amazing experience, perhaps a cultural shock, but it's worth it to stick around even if you're comfortable just doing your own thing.
    Thanks for the reply. I live a 20 mins train ride away from my uni, so I'm not sure if it's a good idea to pay £5000 more a year so I can enjoy myself more. How did you find ur first year living at home, did I enjoy it? And how was it comapared to living away? Also, I'm thinking of moving to London for a few years after uni, so I should get the experience of living away in the end. But I'm definitely going to wait a few weeks to see if things change here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tictactoe5)
    Thanks for the reply. I live a 20 mins train ride away from my uni, so I'm not sure if it's a good idea to pay £5000 more a year so I can enjoy myself more. How did you find ur first year living at home, did I enjoy it? And how was it comapared to living away? Also, I'm thinking of moving to London for a few years after uni, so I should get the experience of living away in the end. But I'm definitely going to wait a few weeks to see if things change here
    Honestly, I disliked living at home for my first year. I did it because I thought it would be financially smarter, and true enough, it was. However I've never been one for wanting to stay at home. I wanted to live to my own standards and schedule rather than needing to worry about waking a parent up because my music was marginally too loud. I didn't really enjoy my home life at home for a multitude of reasons, too many to talk about here.

Living away, hm. I lived with three friends who were also on my course. In short, it was great. We lived by jokes and banter, really. We each did our own thing and compromised, scheduled and rotated our duties with each other. We weren't the kind who would often sit around in the lounge and chill like, well, parents, but when it came down to studying we could discuss our research and topics.

It was more expensive to live that way, that's for sure. But I can't say I regret it. I know that it really jacked up my skills in my own responsibilities when I was a student, and going on £70+ bar crawls wasn't something to be indulged in. I suppose the word is 'humbling'.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.