HND's/HNC's equivalent on UCAS entry requirements?

Watch
hannahward08
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am having a look at Undergraduate 2018 entry course vacancies on UCAS and I'm wondering, if the course was to accept HND's or HNC's as a qualification in the entry requirements section, would it be labelled as that, or would it have a different name? Because quite a lot of courses I've looked at have entry requirements such as A-levels, National Extended Diplomas, Access to HE etc. but no mention of HND's or HNC's and I was wondering if I was missing something, or maybe these particular courses just don't accept those qualifications?

Thanks in advance.
Indigo&Violet
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Because HNCs/HNDs are comparatively rare qualifications universities might not list them that obviously as there's not space to include every possible qualification, plus in UCAS course search there is not a designated tab for them. Don't worry though - lots of unis do accept them: in theory anyone who accepts BTECs should also accept HNC/HND, as they are similar qualifications but at a higher level.

Find a list of universities you like the sound of and email them with details of the course you're interested in, what qualifications you will have plus your expected grades in them, and your English and Maths GCSE grade if these are below a C. Make it clear whether you are looking for first, second or third year entry (or happy to consider various options) - for some courses you can go straight into a "top-up" course with an HNC/HND so you don't have to do the full three years. For others they will only accept the qualification for first year entry.

Hopefully you'll get lots of helpful emails back that will lay out the different options open to you. Good luck!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by hannahward08)
I am having a look at Undergraduate 2018 entry course vacancies on UCAS and I'm wondering, if the course was to accept HND's or HNC's as a qualification in the entry requirements section, would it be labelled as that, or would it have a different name? Because quite a lot of courses I've looked at have entry requirements such as A-levels, National Extended Diplomas, Access to HE etc. but no mention of HND's or HNC's and I was wondering if I was missing something, or maybe these particular courses just don't accept those qualifications?

Thanks in advance.
HNDs and HNCs are equivalent to the first year/two years of a degree. They're a higher qualification than A levels and so not normally listed in standard entry requirements.

If you're looking for first year entry then they'll normally be suitable for most universities as long as the content is relevant to the course. For 2nd/3rd year entry then you'd need to apply for advanced standing - so you need to contact universities in to check whether the content of the HNC/HND is compatible with their first/second year to allow entry into later years.
Nadiaziz
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Does Manchester university accept HNC?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Nadiaziz)
Does Manchester university accept HNC?
You need to ask them. It will depend on the subject of the HND, the course and whether you are applying for 1st, 2nd or 3rd year entry.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (518)
33.75%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (635)
41.37%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.33%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.56%

Watched Threads