Taking a gap year after screwing up my a levels, don't know what to do now? Watch

Mia549
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I got ACE at A level, and now I'm taking a gap year but I don't know what to do. I need to retake the subjects I got a C and an E in, but all my local colleges only do A level packages where it's three subjects or nothing, and it's probably too late to try and join a college now. I didn't apply for uni last year, and I'm still having trouble settling on a course since I want to do English, but there are few courses that I can find that don't require a dissertation. I know I definitely want to go uni next year but without a college or some kind of help, I don't think retaking is really an option and any advice on other ways to get to uni without retakes would be a huge help, since I'm not too sure on what any other options are at this point. I don't want to squander this gap year away, but at the same time I feel really stuck when it comes to actually sorting it out (the more you put it off, the harder it gets)
shad0wthesun
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You could always retake by applying as an independent candidate, this way you can take the year out to work and save money whilst revisiting your subject notes. Self teaching when you've already covered something is much easier than starting from scratch, if financially this is an option - you could email work to be marked by tutors or examiners. Alternatively if you have a good relationship with your old sixth form teachers, email them and ask for resources and the odd bit of marking.
shad0wthesun
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by shad0wthesun)
You could always retake by applying as an independent candidate, this way you can take the year out to work and save money whilst revisiting your subject notes. Self teaching when you've already covered something is much easier than starting from scratch, if financially this is an option - you could email work to be marked by tutors or examiners. Alternatively if you have a good relationship with your old sixth form teachers, email them and ask for resources and the odd bit of marking.
Also forgot to mention, some universities offer degrees with a foundation year. This is four years of study rather than three as the first is developing A-Level skills further so that you are ready for university. The entry requirements for these are much lower, however you get the same degree as those without the foundation year at the end of it. For example BA History at UEA has the requirements of AAB, yet the BA History with Foundation year is CCC.
221Breezeblocks
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm doing exactly the same - I missed both my uni offers so to get where I want I'm retaking French and Maths A level. I've just left sixth form - I'm not going back to school but my school is offering to help me if and when I need it - popping in if I have a question about a topic, or getting the occasional speaking practice or essay feedback. I'm also reapplying to university and retaking those exams through my school because they're allowing me to do so - it'd be worth asking your old college / school if that's an option for you?

Basically do you need to go back to school in order to do well in the retakes? Or would you be alright self teaching it to yourself again? I'd basically ask your college if they'd be happy to support you in getting where you want !
Lemon Haze
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I did this in my gap year.

OP, I applied to my college as an independent student which means I don't need to attend any classes at my sixth form. I applied to retake 3 exams which cost me £300.

This mean I had the free time to enjoy my gap year whilst working and of course revise a lot towards exam time. Although I failed again and still went to university, in my second year now.
Mia549
Rep:
?
I don't mind independent study for Psychology, which I got a C in. I'm fairly certain I can get at least an A. Biology on the other hand is a whole other story. I struggle with it so I'm not particularly confident in my ability to learn it myself, especially since last year I missed almost 50% of classes so I haven't even covered a lot of the material
Mia549
Rep:
?
Also forgot to mention, some universities offer degrees with a foundation year. This is four years of study rather than three as the first is developing A-Level skills further so that you are ready for university. The entry requirements for these are much lower, however you get the same degree as those without the foundation year at the end of it. For example BA History at UEA has the requirements of AAB, yet the BA History with Foundation year is CCC.
I'll consider a degree with a foundation year - I'd prefer not to in all honesty, but at the end of the day, I want to get to uni so I'm not really in a position to be too fussy about how I get there. Thanks for the advice!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
26.9%
Not great so far... (217)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.31%

Watched Threads