Which societies would look good on a CV? Watch

Questioning_Ella
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi guys,

Which societies would look attractive to potential employers? For example, although the Curry Appreciation Society looks fantastic (and delicious!) I would not feel comfortable putting that on my CV. I am looking for something that would be both interesting whilst also being able to show that I am doing something with my time at Uni.

I have been thinking that the Model United Nations Society looks very good, but I am not sure if I am confident enough to speak in front of many people. Same problem with the Politics society. I am not particularly interested in sports societies either. I am looking for something academic & gives a sense that I am proficient & "give a damn". Here are the list of potential societies to join: https://www.thesubath.com/socs/

The degree that I am doing is Social Work, which can be a relatively competitive field for the top jobs. Trying to make sure that my CV stands out.
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,

The societies you take part in are not going to matter enormously either way, so pick things you will enjoy. If you wish to do something more valuable for your future prospects I feel that some kind of community based volunteering would be useful, as would counselling or picking up some shifts as a support worker or care assistant - the latter also serving to improve your finances.

I don't know how much experience you currently have with vulnerable people, but irrespective of what exposure your course affords you I am confident it will largely be viewed positively for you to have supplemented that somehow. Your ability to build trust and foster positive relationships with diverse groups of people will be key to your success so anything that allows you to develop those skills would be grand.

That all being said, cultural sensitivity is surely very important when working in economically deprived areas in the UK. University offers many opportunities to attend international themed events and to learn about other cultures so I think there would be value in attending.

I'm not a social worker, nor am I an expert in how to become one, so feel free to disregard as you see fit.

Good luck!
Questioning_Ella
Rep:
?
(Original post by ByronicHero)
Hi,

The societies you take part in are not going to matter enormously either way, so pick things you will enjoy. If you wish to do something more valuable for your future prospects I feel that some kind of community based volunteering would be useful, as would counselling or picking up some shifts as a support worker or care assistant - the latter also serving to improve your finances.

I don't know how much experience you currently have with vulnerable people, but irrespective of what exposure your course affords you I am confident it will largely be viewed positively for you to have supplemented that somehow. Your ability to build trust and foster positive relationships with diverse groups of people will be key to your success so anything that allows you to develop those skills would be grand.

That all being said, cultural sensitivity is surely very important when working in economically deprived areas in the UK. University offers many opportunities to attend international themed events and to learn about other cultures so I think there would be value in attending.

I'm not a social worker, nor am I an expert in how to become one, so feel free to disregard as you see fit.

Good luck!
Thank you very much for your thoughtful response. I appreciate it and will take your comments on board As you have suggested, I have applied for a part-time 0 hour contract role as a Support Worker. Hopefully something will come of that.
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Questioning_Ella)
Thank you very much for your thoughtful response. I appreciate it and will take your comments on board As you have suggested, I have applied for a part-time 0 hour contract role as a Support Worker. Hopefully something will come of that.
Good bank staff are always in demand, especially at larger companies with multiple local locations, so don't be discouraged if you have to make several applications before being offered an interview - it will come. In the interim, every large town or city has at least one charity organisation running drop-in services, doing night walks and all manner of other social interventions. A quick Google suggests The Genesis Project (and a cursory look at their literature tells me that students are among their volunteers), for example. There are also usually a number of religiously affiliated initiatives if you are so inclined.

Curry is great; do that too.
MathMan+C
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
when choosing societies for a CV you need to consider the type of job you are going for. eg if you are going into finance, the finance or business society is a good idea. there are some societies/clubs which are good for any career such as volunteering, a sport or public speaking.
username775001
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was writing my CV yesterday I put down business society - just like everyone else
Questioning_Ella
Rep:
?
(Original post by ByronicHero)
Good bank staff are always in demand, especially at larger companies with multiple local locations, so don't be discouraged if you have to make several applications before being offered an interview - it will come. In the interim, every large town or city has at least one charity organisation running drop-in services, doing night walks and all manner of other social interventions. A quick Google suggests The Genesis Project (and a cursory look at their literature tells me that students are among their volunteers), for example. There are also usually a number of religiously affiliated initiatives if you are so inclined.

Curry is great; do that too.
Brilliant, thank you. There is an opportunity at the University I will be attending called the Bath Award which comprises of 100 hours extra curricular activity & attending skills training sessions & some additional essays. I have looked into it and having a part-time job can be counted as being part of the extra-curricular activity. Looks good to employers. Got to admit, the curry society does look good
Salostar
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Don't forget that there's also committee roles within societies, being able to put that you were the administrator, treasurer, or even president of a society (which are also volunteer positions) shows leadership skills, along with a host of others (well, at least for business societies that I've been part of it does 😂).
Jackieox
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You don't have to put Curry Appreciation on your cv if you don't want to =P

As above do the societies that you enjoy and if you are able to get a committee role within that consider it a bonus. For example my boyfriend goes to Video Game Society and he studies Games Programming so it's sort of relevant but he goes because he enjoys it
TitanCream
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
One with an altruistic direction would be very helpful!
EmmaRebecca1997
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi guys,

Which societies would look attractive to potential employers? For example, although the Curry Appreciation Society looks fantastic (and delicious!) I would not feel comfortable putting that on my CV. I am looking for something that would be both interesting whilst also being able to show that I am doing something with my time at Uni.

I have been thinking that the Model United Nations Society looks very good, but I am not sure if I am confident enough to speak in front of many people. Same problem with the Politics society. I am not particularly interested in sports societies either. I am looking for something academic & gives a sense that I am proficient & "give a damn". Here are the list of potential societies to join: https://www.thesubath.com/socs/

The degree that I am doing is Social Work, which can be a relatively competitive field for the top jobs. Trying to make sure that my CV stands out.
Employers wont really care what society you've taken part in and honestly thats not really the main point of societies. If you want to put something society related on your CV get involved in the administration/committee of a society. What it is doesnt matter its the fact youve taken a leadership role and arranged things. The fact you've been in a society isnt really relevant or something your employers were care about on your CV bc anyone can go to a society. Putting 'I was in x society at uni' isnt going to really add anything to your CV regardless of what it is unless you put you were in the committee of a society
samerf
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi guys,

Join a society you enjoy 🙂.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (162)
18.62%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (86)
9.89%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (145)
16.67%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (125)
14.37%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (84)
9.66%
How can I be the best version of myself? (268)
30.8%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed