The Student Room Group

UCAS help

I got a B in economics, C in history and a D in maths (the only public exam). I believe they won't push any of my grades up, so since I want to apply for A*AA course, I won't get any offers.

My teacher said to me to apply to uni and choose deferred entry otherwise the school won't help me as much with my application.

My friend said that if I don't get in with deferred entry (obviously), then I can take a gap year anyway to apply for entry in 2019 rather than 2018.

Can somebody tell what's the best option to choose? apply with deferred entry for 2018 or whatever else there is like gap year.
If you apply for deferred entry you will have to apply with your current predicted grades so won't be able to get offers from good courses. If you do get offers you will get them this year but start uni in September 2019.

If you take a gap year you will apply with the grades you have achieved i.e. your A-levels. You will then also start uni in 2019.My advice is try and get your grades moved up so you can apply to unis that offer around ABB, I know someone who got an offer for ABB with BBB predicted grades.

If your teachers refuse to move them up just work as hard as you can and get the best grades possible. You can then take a gap year and apply with your awesome a level grades. I would take a gap year, you will start uni at the same time as deferred entry but you can apply with your actual grades and therefore hopefully get into better units and have more options. Anymore questions let me know, all the best and good luck.
Reply 2
Original post by futreqhsj
If you apply for deferred entry you will have to apply with your current predicted grades so won't be able to get offers from good courses. If you do get offers you will get them this year but start uni in September 2019.

If you take a gap year you will apply with the grades you have achieved i.e. your A-levels. You will then also start uni in 2019.My advice is try and get your grades moved up so you can apply to unis that offer around ABB, I know someone who got an offer for ABB with BBB predicted grades.

If your teachers refuse to move them up just work as hard as you can and get the best grades possible. You can then take a gap year and apply with your awesome a level grades. I would take a gap year, you will start uni at the same time as deferred entry but you can apply with your actual grades and therefore hopefully get into better units and have more options. Anymore questions let me know, all the best and good luck.

Can I not apply with my actual grades if I don't get any offers through deferred entry? Can I take a gap year If I don't get any offers? I thought it was worth just taking deferred entry because I can then take a gap year anyway.
deferred entry isnt as fun tho
Reply 4
Original post by Appleorpear
deferred entry isnt as fun tho

explain
Original post by fuiwahjfjhk
Can I not apply with my actual grades if I don't get any offers through deferred entry? Can I take a gap year If I don't get any offers? I thought it was worth just taking deferred entry because I can then take a gap year anyway.

Yeh you can by all means do that. But I wouldn't get my hopes up as unis with high entry requirements will not accept you.
Reply 6
Yeh you can by all means do that. But I wouldn't get my hopes up as unis with high entry requirements will not accept you.

I know they won't, but my teacher said do it so the school can help me anyway. I guess I am just doing a gap year regardless, damn.
Original post by fuiwahjfjhk
I know they won't, but my teacher said do it so the school can help me anyway. I guess I am just doing a gap year regardless, damn.

It's not that big of a deal loads of people take gap years. Just do the best you can and you'll increase the chance of going to a better uni. A gap year can add to your personal statement and increase your chances of getting an offer
Reply 8
It's not that big of a deal loads of people take gap years. Just do the best you can and you'll increase the chance of going to a better uni. A gap year can add to your personal statement and increase your chances of getting an offer

thanks, I guess I will take the deferred entry **** If I get around to it and then 99% sure a gap year after no offers

Quick Reply

Latest